Ville de Québec Partie XII: Attendez patiemment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Continued from - Ville de Québec Part XI: Être ou ne pas être? Telle est la question!

Upfront notes:

I know that separatism/sovereignty is a touchy and complicated subject, and with PKP being involved it is awfully easy to draw correlations and connections between it and the possible return of the NHL. But, for future reference, keep the political talk solely limited to what impact it could have on the possible return of the Nordiques. Talk about other political parties, electioneering plans, the dynamics of a possible referendum, and other political matters not related to the immediate situation at hand will be viewed as off-topic and at least edited, if not deleted. And repeatedly making such comments could lead to infractions for ignoring mod warnings, as is also the case if people comment on mod activity in the forums per site policy on mod abuse.

If you want to talk about the political side of this subject, please go to our politics board. There is a very active Quebec topic already up.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

continuer

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thats being overly "fair" to extremely generous Fenway. Im from Toronto originally and did have some rather intimate knowledge of that situation as it evolved from the mid-to-late 70's & through the 80's. Eaglesons own son was attached to one of the Divisions investigating the complaints against his father who not only had all kinds of connections within the Metropolitan Toronto Police Force but so too the RCMP, the Mayors office, Provincial & Federal AG offices and absolutely right up to the Boardroom levels of every major paper & media outlet pretty much across Canada & certainly in Toronto. There was just conflict after conflict after conflict, and thats another guy like most arch criminals who really only got Busted for about 1/1000th+ of the actual crimes committed. If not for Conway, the FBI & the Justice Department I highly doubt the RCMP would have ever gotten off their Fanny Perpendiculars & done a damn thing about it & the press wouldn't have said Boo. They were embarrassed into it, embarrassed into laying charges, embarrassed into reporting it.

Still in the end he gamed the system as he did not have to do US jail time ( where he had no influence) and only did 6 months soft time in Toronto.

Regarding the Quebec Citadelles failing as a Montreal team, who do Quebec fans root for today?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Regarding the Quebec Citadelles failing as a Montreal team, who do Quebec fans root for today?

Depends on the Generation to some degree. Those who were around for the WHA & NHL Nordiques, very passionate fan base, theyd rather eat glass than ever root for the Habs. The younger Generations & some of the older are however either Canadiens fans or fans of players who have or do play for Montreal (or elsewhere & will often give their allegiance to those teams). Its really rather transcendent of "just hockey" however, QC & Montreal, no love lost there on many fronts. Some serious differences, disparities, wedge issues. Result being for a time one of the Greatest Rivalries in the History of Pro Hockey, long-time rivals at the Junior levels, back in the day with Senior.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007

I'll try to get as scientific as I can with a sample size of 5:

- one of my two best friends watches most Habs game and became a Habs fan
- my other best friend watches all Habs games and roots for whoever is playing the Habs that night
- I am a hockey fan foremost so I'll watch any game and won't systematically root for/against any team, but I have a soft spot for the Pens because I lived in Pittsburgh when Crosby got there and saw him play on the same line as Lemieux (rookie season)
- my two kids are diehard Habs fans

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

Its nothing scientific but

Under 30 huge majority of habs fan(Never saw the nords play)

30-65 lots of anti habs ( were the nord fanbase) lots of bruins, avs fans or any team playing montreal that night

65+ ( most were habs fan as kids and never changed when the nords arrived in nhl, they were the 30% who cheered for habs at nords home game)

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Still in the end he gamed the system as he did not have to do US jail time ( where he had no influence) and only did 6 months soft time in Toronto.

Depends on the Generation to some degree. Those who were around for the WHA & NHL Nordiques, very passionate fan base, theyd rather eat glass than ever root for the Habs. The younger Generations & some of the older are however either Canadiens fans or fans of players who have or do play for Montreal (or elsewhere & will often give their allegiance to those teams). Its really rather transcendent of "just hockey" however, QC & Montreal, no love lost there on many fronts. Some serious differences, disparities, wedge issues. Result being for a time one of the Greatest Rivalries in the History of Pro Hockey, long-time rivals at the Junior levels, back in the day with Senior.

Like Killion said , it depends on the generation . A lot of fans who were not born yet when the Nordiques were playing in Québec are Habs fans . Many of them i wouldnt qualify as die hard habs fans since i belive they could easily turn their allegiance to the Nordiques IF Québec ends up having a team again .

Then you have those who were Nords fans b4 1995, who decided to be Habs fans only because they are the only NHL team left in the Province of Québec . For them too i also believe they could turn their allegiance back to the Nordiques IF...

You have a 3rd group , who after losing the Nords , decided to become fans of other NHL teams , the most popular is the Bruins . Yes the Big bad Bruins , you guys have no idea how many Bruins fans we can find in Québec .

And the last group are the Habs fans from Québec who were Habs fans even when the Nordiques left for Colorado . For that group, it wont make a huge difference whether or not the Nords return to Québec .

I believe that's an accurate picture of the kind of fans you will find in Québec .

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Like Killion said , it depends on the generation . A lot of fans who were not born yet when the Nordiques were playing in Québec are Habs fans . Many of them i wouldnt qualify as die hard habs fans since i belive they could easily turn their allegiance to the Nordiques IF Québec ends up having a team again .

Then you have those who were Nords fans b4 1995, who decided to be Habs fans only because they are the only NHL team left in the Province of Québec . For them too i also believe they could turn their allegiance back to the Nordiques IF...

You have a 3rd group , who after losing the Nords , decided to become fans of other NHL teams , the most popular is the Bruins . Yes the Big bad Bruins , you guys have no idea how many Bruins fans we can find in Québec .

And the last group are the Habs fans from Québec who were Habs fans even when the Nordiques left for Colorado . For that group, it wont make a huge difference whether or not the Nords return to Québec .

I believe that's an accurate picture of the kind of fans you will find in Québec .

There's another group: The Nords fans that stopped caring about hockey. I was one of them. I came back to hockey 4-5 seasons ago.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
There's another group: The Nords fans that stopped caring about hockey. I was one of them. I came back to hockey 4-5 seasons ago.

This was me. I gave the NHL a little more time while wistfully following the Whalers, and after they left I gave up on hockey and started to follow soccer exclusively.

DyerMaker66*

Because he didn't fall all over himself to unilaterally make a decision to expand or relocate a team he doesn't own?

Because he unilaterally changed priorities at the first moment possible. Almost like he was waiting for a reason not to go to QC. Weird how that worked out, eh?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

NHL wise or other levels ?

NHL its obviously a bunched mix but Habs, Bruins and Penguins are top three, Colorado always been a favorite with Roy coaching even more.

Habs always had a fanbase, Bruins...well if you hate and always hated the enemy...you can't do otherwise but like the enemy of my enemy. Penguins...well Crosby and stuff.

As for other levels, we're pretty much into LHJMQ Remparts.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Here's hoping Quebec City gets a team back. Shame the NHL seems to be all about expanding to Vegas now, here's hoping they change their mind and instead go to Quebec City where they would have a proven fanbase.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
http://www.gohabsgo.com/en/2014/11/16/nhls-expansion-plans-revealed/

While not the most reliable source, does not seem impossible. Maybe Carolina is moved into the Central Division, geographically it is not absurd, and if they are looking for relocation, Portland (with Phoenix moving to the Central), Milwaukee, Kansas City, Houston, and even Atlanta, under new ownership, are all options. You could pretty much rubber stamp Vegas and Quebec, among the league brass, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the NHL, with probably $800 million in the bank of the owners. Seattle could become a relocation destination, if Arizona's finances predicate their departure.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Notice

For anyone interested, we have a thread on the History of Hockey Board discussing the history of the Quebec Nordiques. Your input most welcome. ;)

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
http://www.gohabsgo.com/en/2014/11/16/nhls-expansion-plans-revealed/

While not the most reliable source, does not seem impossible. Maybe Carolina is moved into the Central Division, geographically it is not absurd, and if they are looking for relocation, Portland (with Phoenix moving to the Central), Milwaukee, Kansas City, Houston, and even Atlanta, under new ownership, are all options. You could pretty much rubber stamp Vegas and Quebec, among the league brass, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the NHL, with probably $800 million in the bank of the owners. Seattle could become a relocation destination, if Arizona's finances predicate their departure.

I think it would be more like they just put Quebec in the Central with the promise it would eventually move east (ala Detroit)

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I think it would be more like they just put Quebec in the Central with the promise it would eventually move east (ala Detroit)

You can't compare Quebec and Detroit. If you cut the league in half east to west, Detroit is on the western side of that divide. It made sense for them to be there, if longitude is the determining factor of what conference teams get placed in (and it was/is). Quebec is 700 miles on the opposite side of that divide.

Also, nobody is going to vote yes on that realignment. Montreal, Buffalo, and Boston all want their division rival back (especially since it would certainly meant that the poor draws in Tampa and/or Florida would be shuffled off to another division), and in much the same way that Detroit voted down anything that would result in more than two west coast trips in a year (to Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver & to LA, San Jose, and Anheim), no western team will be on board with extra road trips to Quebec, and the wonky start times that come with it. That's 17 likely no votes right there.

Voyageur's Carolina-in-the-central theory is a hard sell for the same reasons, but it has the added benefit of a) Carolina not having rivalries to the same magnitude of Quebec-Boston or Quebec-Montreal and b) North Carolina having sociocultural ties to Tennessee and other locales fund in the Central division, which could be the basis for some rivalries and a sorely-lacking sense of belonging for the franchise.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City

Lots of bruins fans down here, I am one of them. But in general, people are fan of hockey

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
Same for me, I watch a game here and there, follow the stats a bit, but I cant say I'm a big hockey fan. I need a team to identify to really become invested. For now it's the Bruins, but it's boston teams, not mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad