OT: Video Game Thread Part VIII

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
good lord..i thought the beginning of Up! was emotional..the beginning of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is just as bad..i think the beginning broke me lol

Reactions: Jovavic

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
pulling into this thread...

Pick-ups and animations are a disaster in this game, I won't lie. The major thing is pick ups are generally won based on skater momentum. More likely to get passed through standing still if the other guy is moving pre-pass. You have to basically have your hip riding into the guy being passed to, with your stick and body angled in front. Also, don't over hold LT in front on a cross crease. Face your own net and left stick. If they stand still, hold the tie up button.

Also, the good players stickhandle pass. Quick forehand-backhand-forehand right before the pass. Pro tip.
Yeah I figured out the hip-to-hip thing a bit late but that is pretty effective. My real problem is playing 2 on 1s (which are quite often on my club). I always take away the pass but play the middle to at least give the puck carrier the thought that I'm going to play the puck. That strategy makes me pretty much a traffic cone this year. I definitely have been guilty of LTing too much, but still get cross creased a fair bit facing goal with my stick in the lane. Wasn't sure if it was an animation thing or a stat thing or a PMD thing. What do you run defensive awareness at? Perks? I've tried anywhere from 94-87 and didn't really notice much of a difference. Silver Interceptor helps to get sticks on pucks more often but still found it hit or miss so I removed it. And it's just the horizontal passes. Not even saucers. I pick up everything vertically.

I've always been good with passing lanes and interceptions (lead my league every year NBD). I still get loads of interceptions, just not the crucial ones. This year just makes no sense and I guess we are not getting an update so it is what it is. Also I am still playing on the old generation lol. My club doesn't want to switch over yet despite everyone having a PS5. :laugh:

btw- not impressed by the Xbox population.

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

Hitman 1
Hitman 2
Hitman 3

Will merge all into 1 game

21 map locations, escalations, side maps and everything under a new name.

Hitman World of Assassins will be the title

This sets up Freelancer.

Not sure if Freelancer will be free or an add on.

There are a few Add on’s usually 5 each

GOTY, Requiem, seven deadly sins

Very exciting.

Not sure on price but 3 games in one

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Defect

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
pulling into this thread...

Yeah I figured out the hip-to-hip thing a bit late but that is pretty effective. My real problem is playing 2 on 1s (which are quite often on my club). I always take away the pass but play the middle to at least give the puck carrier the thought that I'm going to play the puck. That strategy makes me pretty much a traffic cone this year. I definitely have been guilty of LTing too much, but still get cross creased a fair bit facing goal with my stick in the lane. Wasn't sure if it was an animation thing or a stat thing or a PMD thing. What do you run defensive awareness at? Perks? I've tried anywhere from 94-87 and didn't really notice much of a difference. Silver Interceptor helps to get sticks on pucks more often but still found it hit or miss so I removed it. And it's just the horizontal passes. Not even saucers. I pick up everything vertically.

I've always been good with passing lanes and interceptions (lead my league every year NBD). I still get loads of interceptions, just not the crucial ones. This year just makes no sense and I guess we are not getting an update so it is what it is. Also I am still playing on the old generation lol. My club doesn't want to switch over yet despite everyone having a PS5. :laugh:

btw- not impressed by the Xbox population.

I have connection issues these days, so I just run defense in 3s. I think defensive awareness is mostly placebo beyond a certain point. I think the X-factors are more important, and I think connection is the most important. There's always those games where every poke check misses, every pass goes through. It's an inconsistent game. Most defenders seem to run silver poke/shutdown, maybe silver tape to tape, gold edges, 6' 160lbs.

As for 2 on 1s, I mean you have to play the middle, but you'll get forced through if you stay middle. I like to fake commit to the puck carrier (again, don't hold LT -- you'll be more fluid with your movements), or if they run themselves out of room, I attack the tap in guy late. I can always poke if the puck carrier tries to cut across net. The real OP play is to do stop-up one timers: the shooter slams on the brakes in the high slot. Not much to defend that. Need a save, but it will freeze every average goalie.

Xbox is wildly better than PSN. I know in the esports tournaments like 90% of the playoff teams are Xbox, and the PSN teams that make it just get bodied. I can't tell you what old gen is like, but it's probably populated by people in nursing homes. :laugh:

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have connection issues these days, so I just run defense in 3s. I think defensive awareness is mostly placebo beyond a certain point. I think the X-factors are more important, and I think connection is the most important. There's always those games where every poke check misses, every pass goes through. It's an inconsistent game. Most defenders seem to run silver poke/shutdown, maybe silver tape to tape, gold edges, 6' 160lbs.

As for 2 on 1s, I mean you have to play the middle, but you'll get forced through if you stay middle. I like to fake commit to the puck carrier (again, don't hold LT -- you'll be more fluid with your movements), or if they run themselves out of room, I attack the tap in guy late. I can always poke if the puck carrier tries to cut across net. The real OP play is to do stop-up one timers: the shooter slams on the brakes in the high slot. Not much to defend that. Need a save, but it will freeze every average goalie.

Xbox is wildly better than PSN. I know in the esports tournaments like 90% of the playoff teams are Xbox, and the PSN teams that make it just get bodied. I can't tell you what old gen is like, but it's probably populated by people in nursing homes. :laugh:

Everyone knows the best play for 2 on 1s is to starfish. Everyone.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
yeah BSG is very interesting with the servers and install stuff! If you need help i can try to help you! Sry just read your comment
Must have just been the new wipe rush or something. I’ve “played” three or so matches and have no idea what I’m doing.
Last match someone shot at me as a scav so I killed them, and two of his buddies. Turns out they were scavs (computer no player)as well and I got docked points after failing to exit the map.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Must have just been the new wipe rush or something. I’ve “played” three or so matches and have no idea what I’m doing.
Last match someone shot at me as a scav so I killed them, and two of his buddies. Turns out they were scavs (computer no player)as well and I got docked points after failing to exit the map.
Its a complex System with scavs. If a scav player hit you first your allowed to kill him. If he doesnt hit you you arent allowed to kill him. So you will get negative points. Computer scavs never shoot at you if you are a scav. But Bosses Raider and Rogues shoot you if you a scav or a pmc. So most likely it was a Boss and his guards. You arent allowed to kill them.cause he is your Boss. And when you go near him he will kill you. Thats the scav life. If you have huge scav karma > 6.0 the Boss will accept you near him. But thats a long grind!

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Alright I think I need a rts or city builder on the pc. I never got into star craft, or anything since maybe ages of empires back in the day.
I loved that dune rts that was on the swag cd.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I forgot I tried one of those total war or crusader king games. The one where you could marry off your cousin to their own kin to weaken your oppositions bloodline and stuff. That was too in-depth to be fun.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I’m about to push the button on northgard and company of heroes (1). Maybe “they are billions” as well.
Anyone play either of those before?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I forgot I tried one of those total war or crusader king games. The one where you could marry off your cousin to their own kin to weaken your oppositions bloodline and stuff. That was too in-depth to be fun.
Crusader Kings is a game that I really want to like, but I can never seem to get into.

I’m about to push the button on northgard and company of heroes (1). Maybe “they are billions” as well.
If you get Company of Heroes, make sure you get the DLC. It's pretty much an incomplete game without it.

Reactions: trostol

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Crusader Kings is a game that I really want to like, but I can never seem to get into.

If you get Company of Heroes, make sure you get the DLC. It's pretty much an incomplete game without it.
I picked it up, the bundle came with the legacy edition and the two dlcs. I’ll check back in a few days!
Anything else I should know?

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Alright I think I need a rts or city builder on the pc. I never got into star craft, or anything since maybe ages of empires back in the day.
Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but check out Against the Storm. Definitely not a conventional city builder but it's perfect for someone like me who loves the idea of those games but gets overwhelmed two hours in and quits haha.

Cities: Skylines is the go to city builder if you ask most people.

The Anno series is also super fun.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I picked it up, the bundle came with the legacy edition and the two dlcs. I’ll check back in a few days!
Anything else I should know?
It's been years since I've played it, so most of my knowledge of the game has slipped from my brain. Pretty much all I remember is buying the base game, and being annoyed that half of the content was locked behind a paywall.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Frostpunk is great if you enjoy survival city builders.

Cities Skylines is the best traditional city builder. It’s a time sink for sure.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Northgard was a ton of fun. Especially if you have another person to play with. But even the single player stuff was a lot of fun. The different specialties for the clans make it so there's a lot to Do with different strategies and it's not just "pump stuff out a la starcraft".

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Get the Razer dashboard. This is the thing to have. You should have it.

My mouse lets me change DPI on the fly, which is fun when I accidentally hit the buttons.
What is the dashboard? Search results are flooded with razor pay dashboard, I’m guessing it’s indias version of PayPal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad