Value of: Victor Rask and Justin Faulk to the Oilers

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Not that you're wrong, but we have a guy in net that couldn't stop a beach ball, hard not to look like **** playing in front of that. A shooter tutor would literally be a better goaltender then Scott Darling. He's on pace to literally have the worst season since Vesa Toskala.
Lucic for Darling

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
What would it take for the Oilers to get a cheaper 3rd line Center and a much sought after offensive RD?

VGK used my cup core theory to build thier team
1. Best HD def system coach available.
Gallant
2. Top 10 HD save% goalie
Subban showed promise. Kept getting Questions around goalies from a new poster ( King George) pre expansion draft.
They asked about Fluery. I had not looked at fFluery,s video the last 2 years. (Finalized chasing data for life expectancy and conversion modeling for Coal power plants Alberta) When I looked at Fluery he had changed from a scatter goalie to table hockey goalie positioning.
Turning into a top 10 HD goalie.
3. 3+ Top 40 defensive D ( used to be top 60)
VGK toook the 9 top 50 HD Dmen available.
Teams with 5+ top 60 HD dmen can get away with top 20 HD starting goalie. Edmonton 06, Boston, LAK.

Thier are 2 other portions that VGK took the best available.

One of my theories points out that Offensive dmen cheat for offence and result in free paths attacks of own HD area yielding the worst HD def rates. Faulk bottom 3 Nurse Bottom 5; Klefbom bottom 30.
Nurse turned Larson,s Top 5 hd def numbers into bellow avg HD numbers.
Nurse and Klefbom have cost the oilers playoff competitiveness.
Faulk and Morgan Reilly are worse than nurse.
Do not want our forwards to have to score 5 goals per game.
Since we moved 24 goals per season in eberle.

Larson ( top 5 HD dman) for hall a (top 50 fwd) 50/5 10 times more forwards available.

Awful HD teams miss playoffs.
Oilers can be fixed!
Awful HD dmen cost you playoffs.
Offensive dmen cheat for offence and take a fwds structured spot.
So you have to measure thier efectivness relative to forwards.
Faulk 4evg 11 evp #12 fwd rate (4th line)
Matt Hendricks level ofeven production.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Faulk is horrible in his own end. Looks fat and disinterested. Losing gets to players after awhile. I'm an Oiler fan. I know from experience.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Faulk is horrible in his own end. Looks fat and disinterested. Losing gets to players after awhile. I'm an Oiler fan. I know from experience.

He did look... I dunno.. out of shape last night? I was surprised to see that in any player at the end of the season. Is he on medication that causes bloating or something?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I realize its a small sample size, but watching McDavid in his two games against Carolina this season he looks pretty awful, TBH. -2 with 2 secondary assists. Yeesh.

See how that works?

McDavid has had a rough ride being matched with one of the best one-on-one D in the NHL.
The cost of that is Draisaitl's line abusing Faulk and a #7 Dahlbeck who is replacing and injured Hanifin.
Mix in the worst NHL starting goaltender in modern history and it isn't a surprise the score was 7-3. Replace Darling with league-average and it is a close game. Not much the fault of the Defense.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No, he's average in his own end and above average in the offensive zone. Where he is below average is the neutral zone. That is where he gets caught out and abused.
He was atrocious last night...Having Darling in goal didn't help but Faulk was victimized atleast 3-4 times on failed clearing attempts that eventually lead to a GA.

If that's the norm for Faulk..I would be hesitant on giving up RNH for him unless there's a solid add from the Canes.
Straight up Id probably do 2nd in '18, 2nd in '19. Doubt Carolina would be eager to do that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
McDavid has had a rough ride being matched with one of the best one-on-one D in the NHL.
The cost of that is Draisaitl's line abusing Faulk and a #7 Dahlbeck who is replacing and injured Hanifin.
Mix in the worst NHL starting goaltender in modern history and it isn't a surprise the score was 7-3. Replace Darling with league-average and it is a close game. Not much the fault of the Defense.

It might be worthwhile to note Edmonton was short on Defense... Sekera and Klefbom were out.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I thought that was one of the worst hockey games I have watched in a while. Three of our goals were total flukes, one of yours... defensive gaffs all over the ice and structurally inept play from both teams.

Ugly, ugly, ugly... I wouldn't make any conclusions from that game except that both of these teams need some golfing time to screw their heads on straight.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Yeah, I don't get the valuation of Faulk here at all. He's had one great offensive season (and scoring at 0.60 PPG isn't even that great) and has been on a steady downward slide offensively since. He's awful in his own end. He's smallish. He's not overly physical. He makes bad decisions/pinches in the neutral zone (which Canes fans even admit). So what's he going to do for us, exactly? I wouldn't be remotely interested in trading for him for what he'd realistically cost.

Zero-to-little interest in Faulk from me. No wonder almost every Cane fan is saying "yes!" to these deals. Ridiculous overpaying from the Oilers from a one-dimensional Dman. Brutal. Even Chia wouldn't be this stupid, I would hope.

More importantly: After losing the Hall and Eberle trades, we can't give away an asset like RNH or someone similar unless it's a huge win for us. Just keep drafting and developing until a better opportunity presents itself. Faulk is not the answer to any of our problems, I'm very sure of that. The fan base would turn on him SOOO quickly for his apathetic defensive play. I'd rather trade Drai for a true impact, well-rounded Dman than throw away RNH for lesser asset, just like we did with Hall and Eberle. So we want to do it a 3rd time now? Really???

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
RNH for faulk as a base is a deal that could happen and frankly should happen.
It maybe shouldn't. If Nuge looks good on McDavid's wing for the rest of the year, he may not be available at all. Leaves us with only needing a top six RW for next year instead of needing two top six forwards. We could still use a re-tool of the bottom six wingers of course, but that's not happening in a deal like this.

Nuge - McDavid - new guy
Lucic - Draisaitl - Pulujarvi
Cagguila - Strome - Aberg/Yamamoto
Aberg/Pakarinen - Khaira - Kassian
Pakarinen (healthy scratch)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It maybe shouldn't. If Nuge looks good on McDavid's wing for the rest of the year, he may not be available at all. Leaves us with only needing a top six RW for next year instead of needing two top six forwards. We could still use a re-tool of the bottom six wingers of course, but that's not happening in a deal like this.

Nuge - McDavid - new guy
Cagguila - Strome - Aberg/Yamamoto
Aberg/Pakarinen - Khaira - Kassian
Pakarinen (healthy scratch)

That "new guy" better be pretty damn good.

I till see RNH still as a flex position center.

I have no faith that Aberg will stick.

Nuge - McDavid - new guy
Cagguila - Strome - Yamamoto
Pakarinen - Khaira - Kassian

or

Draisaitl - McDavid - new guy
Lucic - RNH - Pulujarvi
Cagguila - Strome - Yamamoto
Pakarinen - Khaira - Kassian

(Slepyshev is the bubble guy)

RNH no longer bounces to center the 3rd line where his talents are wasted. He is either 2c or top line LW.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I realize its a small sample size, but watching McDavid in his two games against Carolina this season he looks pretty awful, TBH. -2 with 2 secondary assists. Yeesh.

See how that works?
Deflect all you want. My statement acknowledged the small sample size, but I will stand by the fact Faulk had an awful game. I posted that opinion because I was legitimately surprised a player I thought was pretty damned good was looking so bad. Was I incorrect? Evidence to the contrary then, if you please. On a side note, are you overly sensitive of even this mild criticism of Faulk for some reason?

By the way, McDavid was also very average by his standards. Hopefully it doesnt cost him the Art Ross.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Deflect all you want. My statement acknowledged the small sample size, but I will stand by the fact Faulk had an awful game. I posted that opinion because I was legitimately surprised a player I thought was pretty damned good was looking so bad. Was I incorrect? Evidence to the contrary then, if you please. On a side note, are you overly sensitive of even this mild criticism of Faulk for some reason?

By the way, McDavid was also very average by his standards. Hopefully it doesnt cost him the Art Ross.

You aren't making an argument, you're making an exaggerated claim based on one meaningless game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00