Value of: Victor Rask and Justin Faulk to the Oilers

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oil don't do this. Maybe around rnh/puljuajrvi?
they don't need wingers so puljujarvi doesn't make sense. tnh though makes sense but they probably would want to target someone better if they are trading faulk and rask

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
they don't need wingers so puljujarvi doesn't make sense. tnh though makes sense but they probably would want to target someone better if they are trading faulk and rask
Williams will retire soon and lindholm may move to the middle full time, so we could definitely do with another RW, especially a big skater like pulju.

Hard to gauge what Faulk and rask's value is since they've had miserable seasons. Other teams will be weary. But we're seeing the same thing with other players on Carolina. I think a lack of confidence and Carolina's losing culture is causing them to make mental mistakes and play below their talent.

Reactions: sheriff bart

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What would it take for the Oilers to get a cheaper 3rd line Center and a much sought after offensive RD?

Edmonton shouldn't pursue Faulk if the price point is RNH. Rask is okay, but I'm not really big on him. Apologies to 'Cane fans.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton shouldn't pursue Faulk if the price point is RNH. Rask is okay, but I'm not really big on him. Apologies to 'Cane fans.

Ya but as a cheaper option for 3rd line Center he could be worth pursuing and we all know the Oilers have had the hots for Faulk for a number of years and he would be the right shooting point producer not named Justin Schultz that the Oilers have long been searching for and a more realistic option than OEL or Karlsson.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Swapping RNH for Rask in some form always made sense to me. Rask is a cost controlled guy who makes a pretty solid third line center. When he is confident he's a number two, we just haven't seen that guy this year. RNH is obviously better but Rask would fit the role it would seem the Oilers need if they're splitting up Mcd and Drai and for a better price, and the Canes would get a better player to play a top 2 center role for the Canes with Staal while not minding RNH's contract at all.

Giving the Oiler's value to make up the difference between the two shouldn't be a mountain too high.

Adding Faulk makes it tough. Off season offensively or not RH D who can score are a commodity that gathers a lot of interest and value. The Canes are in no rush or need to move him, and he would leave a huge gap in the lineup.

Reactions: BHD and Wolfpuck

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Edmonton can fix that!
5ccW2e4.gif

Reactions: SebastianAhoe

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Faulk + Rask
for
RNH + ?

Hypothetically assuming RNH is the biggest fish those 2 can acquire, what does the + have to be for Canes fans to accept? Just curious

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd think that RNH for either of Faulk or Rask would be a good starting point for a deal.

Faulk + Rask
for
RNH + ?

Hypothetically assuming RNH is the biggest fish those 2 can acquire, what does the + have to be for Canes fans to accept? Just curious

That's the big question. Believe it or not, as much as it would hurt to give up Faulk another RHD wouldn't necessarily have to be part of the trade. McKeown looked good and ready when called up this year, albeit for a #5-6 spot, not necessarily a top 4 one. But the Canes could always go out and sign Green for a year or two to replace Faulk.

Biggest need aside from a top 6 center (which RNH addresses) is a potential scoring RW. Poolparty is likely too much from Edmonton's side to give up though.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Swapping RNH for Rask in some form always made sense to me. Rask is a cost controlled guy who makes a pretty solid third line center. When he is confident he's a number two, we just haven't seen that guy this year. RNH is obviously better but Rask would fit the role it would seem the Oilers need if they're splitting up Mcd and Drai and for a better price, and the Canes would get a better player to play a top 2 center role for the Canes with Staal while not minding RNH's contract at all.

Giving the Oiler's value to make up the difference between the two shouldn't be a mountain too high.

Adding Faulk makes it tough. Off season offensively or not RH D who can score are a commodity that gathers a lot of interest and value. The Canes are in no rush or need to move him, and he would leave a huge gap in the lineup.
Yeah, Rask and a moderate + for The Nuge seems fair, and can make sense for both teams.

One way or another, the Canes have to upgrade the center position.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah, Rask and a moderate + for The Nuge seems fair, and can make sense for both teams.

Wait.. the ask now is Rask+ for RNH? Edmonton is the clear loser in that deal. That isn't a fair deal for Edmonton. Why do this, just to save $2 Million? There are other ways to save that cap space, rather than downgrading from RNH. Edmonton needs to improve on the wing, not downgrade at center and get a "moderate +".

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think we can get both. The only player we have who might be available and could be of use to Carolina is Nuge. Nuge and something for Faulk could be interesting. The Canes likely have no interest in Klefbom, they're pretty deep on the blueline already.
How would Edmonton fans feel about Rask + Faulk for RNH + Bear?

Personally, I want to keep Bear, plus I think he has too much value to be included as the top up in this trade. I'd do Jones or Mantha instead, or Matt Benning. Or a 2nd round pick if that helps. But probably not Bear. If we did a trade like this, it would hopefully be to solidify our right D going forward as Faulk/Larsson/Bear, not Faulk/Larsson/Benning, lol.

Nuge's value is a hell of a lot closer to Faulk's than it is to Rask's. There is no Nuge for Rask+ deal possible here. It's Nuge for Faulk that we're after. We don't even really need a 3C with Strome looking much better of late, Rask is truly a luxury for us in this deal and not especially needed.

Ya but as a cheaper option for 3rd line Center he could be worth pursuing and we all know the Oilers have had the hots for Faulk for a number of years and he would be the right shooting point producer not named Justin Schultz that the Oilers have long been searching for and a more realistic option than OEL or Karlsson.
We have our cheaper 3C. Ryan Strome.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I don't necessarily think the Oilers would have to add much to RNH to get Faulk and Rask..maybe a 2nd or a 3rd?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Rask is better . Put Strome on the wing? Need more like Strome and Rask on the bottom 2 lines and less of Caggiula and Slepyshev.

I agree that Rask is better, but Strome has looked much better at centre than on the wing this year. He looked horribly lost on the wing and personally I'm not in favour of seeing that experiment again, although I wish he would have had a longer look next to McDavid. I'm guessing Slepyshev is not back (KHL), and Caggiula isn't a big issue for me. He looked much better last year and has taken a bit of a step back, but I think he will sort his game out and be a decent bottom sixer. but I'd think that Chiarelli would prefer a cheap veteran fill in to take that spot anyway. Hopefully its not another Jokinen type situation, cheap, decent veteran bottom sixers are available every year, we need to find a couple of those instead of guys like Rask. We just can't be paying another bottom sixer 4 million per year with what we're paying our top end guys. If the cap wasn't a thing I'd be all over Rask, but as it is, unless its a 3 team deal and we're flipping Rask right away, I just don't see how he fits into what we need with the money we have to do it in.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Oilers probably kick in The Nuge and Klefblom. Maybe a pick as well?
So both teams try to address their C/D issues by trading away a C and a D each. Thus after the deal CAR still needs to add a C and EDM still needs to add a D... not sure if that works.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So both teams try to address their C/D issues by trading away a C and a D each. Thus after the deal CAR still needs to add a C and EDM still needs to add a D... not sure if that works.
Oddly it might be one of those situations where it does though for the Canes. Where Carolina needs help is in an upgrade on C which RNH would be. He's not the ideal guy but he's good enough that he'll be in our top 6 next year and solidify it rather then struggling to keep up like Ryan and Rask did this past year. We'll likely be bringing in Necas to be the #3 as well, and Wallmark as the #4 so down the middle it would be more like RNH-J Staal-Necas-Wallmark, which is a big upgrade over what we had this past year for most of the year.

The downgrade on D hurts a bit but we have the depth to overcome that as we'd still be getting a top 4 guy back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad