Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Hedman just won the ’Gold Puck’ for being Swedens best hockeyplayer, a huge award that’s been given out since 1956 and while this is the first time someone have won it outside of the SHL it’s been won by some great players including Mats Näslund (1980), Peter Forsberg (1993/1994), Daniel and Henrik Sedin (1999), Henrik Zetterberg (2002) and Henrik Lundqvist (2005).

Congrats to Victor and well deserved, that’s for sure and this is really hid first individual award but hope it’s the first of many.

m8n4fd.jpg

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/victor-hedman-far-guldpucken-2015/

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Hedman just won the ’Gold Puck’ for being Swedens best hockeyplayer, a huge award that’s been given out since 1956 and while this is the first time someone have won it outside of the SHL it’s been won by some great players including Mats Näslund (1980), Peter Forsberg (1993/1994), Daniel and Henrik Sedin (1999), Henrik Zetterberg (2002) and Henrik Lundqvist (2005).

Congrats to Victor and well deserved, that’s for sure and this is really hid first individual award but hope it’s the first of many.

m8n4fd.jpg

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/victor-hedman-far-guldpucken-2015/

You brought good news!

Guess this only happens during the off season eh? :laugh:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Bishop still had pretty ok/average season, nothing too horrible.

Hedman's on-ice shooting% is 2nd best in the league among dmen. Would it be accurate to say that he takes a lot of risks to generate offense and gets burned rather often because of it?

he doesnt seem to make a lot of mistakes so no on the being burned thing he usually doesnt leave a partner out to lunch so to speak and usually if does pinch or carry deep or whatever good things happen two years ago would do that stuff and miss nets etc.. and cause some rushes he is doing that less placing pucks where we have more chances maybe not shooting it right on net etc..

he is just a smarter better player now

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He is also wearing a TB rays hat. I think he loves it here and wants to stay long term. I mean living in FL compared to Sweden most be lovely.

I was thinking the same thing. I really hope Hedman is a Lightning lifer. I couldn't picture him anywhere else.

God I hope he stays in Tampa for a long time, He's truly this franchises #1 Dman and has been fantastic the past two seasons and has really grown into the position and his development here in Tampa has been amazing. I think he likes being in Tampa. We keep saying X and Y enjoy being in Tampa and would take pay cuts but do we actually know...

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Most HF boards seem to have created their own thread for what former defenseman Nicklas Lidstöm said in this single interview but I didn’t think it was necessary, though it was fun to post it though since it must be fun for Hedman that someone he clearly have looked up to praises him back.
Today Lidström follows the NHL closely – especially the Swedes. He’s happy to see how successful the Swedish defensemen have become.

- Erik Karlsson is a first class defenseman in the NHL. And it’s great to see that Victor Hedman gets more attention. He was injured during regular season but has taken a huge step in his career. He handles the puck with such authority when he skates. I’m also impressed by Hampus Lindholm in Anaheim. He faces the opponents top lines all the time. And Oliver Ekman-Larsson – who have been Arizonas best defenseman for several seasons.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/lidas-om-dodsfallen-nhl-kan-gora-mer/

The article can be found on NHL.com but they skaiped most of what he said about Hedman there.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Every time international tournaments come around, everyone's scared of the Russians, but the Swedish defense is second only to Canada's and they are a much more rounded team than Russia. Not to mention they didn't even have Hedman last go round.

I believe a Hedman-Karlsson could be the most dangerous pairing of any combination of players at the World Cup.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I believe a Hedman-Karlsson could be the most dangerous pairing of any combination of players at the World Cup.

As a Swede I’ve felt that for a while, especially last Olympics when we lost pretty much all of our center depth to injuries (H. Sedin, Zetterberg) and suspension (Bäckström) and the idea that we could have had at least a defensive pairing of Karlsson – Hedman in the finals could have at least given us some kind of chance to create something (even if we probably wouldn’t have won anyway as it was we had like no shots on goal the whole game), oh well, at least we have something to look forward to.

Every time international tournaments come around, everyone's scared of the Russians, but the Swedish defense is second only to Canada's and they are a much more rounded team than Russia. Not to mention they didn't even have Hedman last go round.

I hope so, I’d like to see our defense look something like:
Karlsson – Hedman
OEL – Lindholm
Brodin - ?

Stralman, Hjalmarsson, Larsson, Klingberg are all possible 6th and 7th ‘d’ depending on when it takes place and if they want some vet ‘d’ or some younger ‘d’.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
In a Swedish paper (Aftonbladet) he says today:
"- A long-term contract would be a dream, everything is moving in the right direction here, the city, the fans and the club. The organization is world-class on all levels and something I would really like to be part even in the future"

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
In a Swedish paper (Aftonbladet) he says today:
"- A long-term contract would be a dream, everything is moving in the right direction here, the city, the fans and the club. The organization is world-class on all levels and something I would really like to be part even in the future"

I'm not even worried about Hedman he will sign long term July 1st 2016. Stamkos just had a butt money head for a agent. Stamkos will sign but it's so stupid how long this drags out.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Meet the NHL’s burgeoning blueline beast"

"...........

Hedman has become the player the Lightning envisioned when they selected him second overall behind John Tavares in 2009. He has become a punishing shutdown defenseman with an offensive bent. He has an ability to make opponents look ordinary and teammates extraordinary. In short, he has all the makings of becoming one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

All those qualities were on display in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup final, when he not only helped limit Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews to one assist but outscored them with two of his own. “I like to be a guy who rises to the occasion in these big games,†Hedman said. “I like to take a lot of responsibility and play a lot of minutes. That’s the type of player I want to be.â€

This has been coming for the better part of two years now, and it seems inconceivable that Hedman was left off the Swedish Olympic team last year. If not for a broken finger he sustained five games into this season, there’s a good chance he would have been part of this season’s Norris Trophy conversation. He missed 18 games with the injury, but didn’t lament the time lost.

“Just watching what (Steven Stamkos) went through last year with his broken leg really made the process easier for me,†Hedman said. “He was a guy who was out for four months and he came to the rink with a smile on his face every day. I was out for five weeks. I wanted to be the same way. Not be moody at the rink, be in good spirits and keep having fun with the guys.â€

Hedman, 24, said it’s for others to judge whether he would have contended for the Norris. And while it’s not a completely objective opinion, Lightning assistant coach Rick Bowness weighed in with a resounding, “Hell, yeah!†Bowness runs the defense for coach Jon Cooper and has watched Hedman develop into an elite defensemen.

“First of all, he’s one of the best skaters I’ve ever seen in my 40 years around the league,†Bowness said. “He’s 6-foot-6 and he skates like he’s 6-foot-1 and 190. North to south, east to west, he’s a phenomenal skater. I love watching him skate. I used to love watching Paul Coffey and Mike Modano skate and I’m telling you, he can skate with those guys.â€

The skating ability and enormous reach are a large part of what makes him so dominant at both ends of the ice. Bowness worked with Hedman on his defensive game last season, and we’re beginning to see the results. During the Stanley Cup final, Hawks coach Joel Quenneville broke up Kane and Toews, in large part to get one of them away from Hedman.

Having a veteran countryman such as Anton Stralman has also helped. The Lightning saw a glaring need in the off-season for a right-shot defenseman. Stralman was placed with Hedman and the two developed instant chemistry.

“It’s been a privilege to see him up close and see how much he’s growing,†Stralman said. “He has all the tools to really become a special player.â€

Hedman said depending on the situation, he and Stralman straddle between communicating in Swedish and English on the ice. But after a particularly tiring shift where they’ve battled big forwards, they usually go to the default setting, which is Swedish.

“It’s way easier to talk that language when you’re tired,†Hedman said.

No matter the language, the hockey world is starting to hear a lot from Hedman.
"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/meet-the-nhls-burgeoning-blueline-beast/

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Can't believe Hedman is always left off the Olympic roster. They took ODUYA over him, for gods sakes.

I mean, Oduya's great, but better than Heds? YEAH RIGHT.

I still need to buy a Hedman jersey, but it's impossible to find one. Not unless I order a custom one. And that'll cost over $200 with tax. Not something I'm willing to do at the moment. Are there any cheaper methods? I've seen some pretty crappy looking replicas for dirt cheap, but I wouldn't go near those.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman was a monster in the playoffs. Does that make up for his alright play in season?

He was amazing before he was injured #hedmanfornorris but as usual with Hedman he's very slow to regain form after an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad