Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...s-head/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
With no goals and just one assist in the first five games of the Stanley Cup Final, Patrick Kane‘s offensive production has been notably absent for the Chicago Blackhawks.

One very good reason for that is that Victor Hedman, the Lightning defenseman who’s been a two-way force all throughout the playoffs, no more than in this series.

“He’s a special player,” Kane said this morning. “Not only is he big (and) has a good stick, he’s smart, he’s a great skater. He seems to have all the tools to lock someone down. He’s definitely been impressive throughout the series.”
In Game 5 on Saturday, Kane spent 9:17 of his 15:48 in total ice time with Hedman out there as well.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pay this man his money, now this is a leader who leads by example. Should adopt the Detroit model where Hedman is our highest paid player and no one makes more than him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Pay this man his money, now this is a leader who leads by example. Should adopt the Detroit model where Hedman is our highest paid player and no one makes more than him.

Is he the face of the franchise? How much does Vinik love him? That's what's important in negotiations rather then what you can do on the ice so I don't expect a big raise for him.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Is he the face of the franchise? How much does Vinik love him? That's what's important in negotiations rather then what you can do on the ice so I don't expect a big raise for him.

I agree with that. First for us lol.

He's more valuable to this team than Stamkos. It's a shame he won't ever make more than Stamkos though. Thats the pathetic part.

FYI, I'll eat crow, we could've used Connolly in the postseason. If not for anything other than forcing Morrow to sit, we needed him. And I hated him a little less than Sustr, but we needed him. Maybe next year we'll be one of "those" teams that acquire a forward heading into the playoffs rather than trade one. Nice we got Coburn, he helped a ton, but looking at it now, losing Connolly hurt. Thats funny, never thought I'd say that.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I agree with that. First for us lol.

He's more valuable to this team than Stamkos. It's a shame he won't ever make more than Stamkos though. Thats the pathetic part.

FYI, I'll eat crow, we could've used Connolly in the postseason. If not for anything other than forcing Morrow to sit, we needed him. And I hated him a little less than Sustr, but we needed him. Maybe next year we'll be one of "those" teams that acquire a forward heading into the playoffs rather than trade one. Nice we got Coburn, he helped a ton, but looking at it now, losing Connolly hurt. Thats funny, never thought I'd say that.

I have to agree. I was worried when we traded Connolly away, sort of for this reason. I expected Paq or Morrow would be an insufficient replacement, but perhaps not to this extent! And we probably could've traded something future asset wise, like a 1st and maybe Kookooo, to get Coburn, without moving Connolly.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Heddy defiantly showed a lot of people he's the real deal this year/playoffs. Was fantastic. Specially with Stralman who is always rock solid. Those 2 are defiantly a #1 pair and have proved that. We didn't get to see much of them this year due to injuries but when they were together they were awesome.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i give our mvp to bishop but hedman is number 2 and i give stammer 10 million and heddy 8.5 all day and feel lucky to have them

we do have to remember we signed strawman at 4.5 though so maybe im a little high but think heddy will break out and win the norris soon

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Robert - no way was Bish our MVP. Just no way. Hedman by a mile - Bish had two of the easiest playoff shutouts I've ever seen the way the D played in front of him.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Robert - no way was Bish our MVP. Just no way. Hedman by a mile - Bish had two of the easiest playoff shutouts I've ever seen the way the D played in front of him.

mvp of the year havent digested the playoffs yet or thought of them mvp would have been tyjo of playoffs for his start his injuries kept him down but not out was still like plus two after he couldnt score so would give him the nod of the playoffs still

bishop is reason we were in every game shoot he played a ton he allowed us to not have a three game losing streak till the last game of the year my hat is off to his play especially being injured i put him above hedman

hedman was great i still think a hott hedman the hedmonster we win the cup he wasnt scoring as has in past and we all know he can sometimes is about timing to get hott is why think he wins a norris i still expect more growth from hedman

vital? he is probably our most vital piece moving forward hedman that is

bish didnt lose us the cup we did by not scoring when we should have is all good i love them both im one not worried on vasi starts or future the bishop we saw this year can win us cups so whatever happens happens in the future im gonna enjoy his run till it ends and if that is 8 years so be it

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Hey! I found something odd while I was checking out some advanced statistics.

Behind the net shows that Hedman was rocking a measly .889 on-ice save percentage during the regular season in 5-on-5 situations. That's bottom 5 in the league for defensemen with over 20GP.

Does this seem right? Are the numbers wrong or does he get scored on a lot on 5v5?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hey! I found something odd while I was checking out some advanced statistics.

Behind the net shows that Hedman was rocking a measly .889 on-ice save percentage during the regular season in 5-on-5 situations. That's bottom 5 in the league for defensemen with over 20GP.

Does this seem right? Are the numbers wrong or does he get scored on a lot on 5v5?
He was pretty mediocre (and worse) for stretches of the regular season. He had a hot start (offensively), got injured, came back struggling. Stralman was our true #1 in the regular season and did the heavy lifting.

I'm surprised the numbers are that bad though.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
He was pretty mediocre (and worse) for stretches of the regular season. He had a hot start (offensively), got injured, came back struggling. Stralman was our true #1 in the regular season and did the heavy lifting.

I'm surprised the numbers are that bad though.

Additionally:

A) Bishop fell back to earth this season.
B) There was a stretch where Hedman-Sustr wasn't just an occasional thing. It didn't go well.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Bishop still had pretty ok/average season, nothing too horrible.

Hedman's on-ice shooting% is 2nd best in the league among dmen. Would it be accurate to say that he takes a lot of risks to generate offense and gets burned rather often because of it?

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Bishop still had pretty ok/average season, nothing too horrible.

Hedman's on-ice shooting% is 2nd best in the league among dmen. Would it be accurate to say that he takes a lot of risks to generate offense and gets burned rather often because of it?

I wouldn't say he takes 'a lot of risks' to provide his offense, his game isn't as high-risk as say Karlssons or Letangs.

I'd say that low on-ice sv% is a statistical anomaly of one season.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Bishop tended to give up some bad goals early in games this past season. I'm assuming Hedman was on for a lot of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad