Confirmed Trade: [VGK/STL] Ivan Barbashev for Zach Dean

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Hyman didn't re sign in Toronto because they didn't have the cap space. Barbashev won't be back because they don't have the cap space not because they don't want to sign them. Players like bunting aren't available for 900k on a regular basis. Hence why he is going to get paid too. If it were that easy to find physical players that can compliment a skill guy everyone would do it. Certain teams have more of a need for that type of player. The ones that lack depth but have top end skill and are easy to play against. It's situational.
I didn't say it's not because they don't want to bring the player back...but you're proving my point, cap space is the issue when it's time for these types of players to get paid. In most situations, they end up somewhere where they'll be given a top 6 role and expected to somewhat drive/carry that line and then as most of us on here speculate....it doesn't work out very well in the end.

The player doesn't change, the cap hit does and that's pretty much summing up what i was trying to say before, Barbashev at 2-3.5M great value and a nice complimentary player that could fit on most top lines and into most teams cap structures. Barbashev at 5-6m? That's going to be a problem in almost every case.

Remember the summer when Lucic, Okposo and backes all signed like 6x6's......it reminds me of that a bit with the potential barbashev and Bunting looming contracts and their perceived values.

Not saying there's zero chance it works out, but most likely not gonna age well.

Taking a quick glance at cap friendly, Pittsburgh is the only team in the league where i could see it making sense to pay him 5M(to guarantee u get him) only because of the discounts their top guys took in aav in return for more term. Could totally see him complimenting malkin or crosby. But even then, idk. They have plenty of other holes to fill down their lineup and on the back end.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say it's not because they don't want to bring the player back...but you're proving my point, cap space is the issue when it's time for these types of players to get paid. In most situations, they end up somewhere where they'll be given a top 6 role and expected to somewhat drive/carry that line and then as most of us on here speculate....it doesn't work out very well in the end.

The player doesn't change, the cap hit does and that's pretty much summing up what i was trying to say before, Barbashev at 2-3.5M great value and a nice complimentary player that could fit on most top lines and into most teams cap structures. Barbashev at 5-6m? That's going to be a problem in almost every case.

Remember the summer when Lucic, Okposo and backes all signed like 6x6's......it reminds me of that a bit with the potential barbashev and Bunting looming contracts and their perceived values.

Not saying there's zero chance it works out, but most likely not gonna age well.

Taking a quick glance at cap friendly, Pittsburgh is the only team in the league where i could see it making sense to pay him 5M(to guarantee u get him) only because of the discounts their top guys took in aav in return for more term. Could totally see him complimenting malkin or crosby. But even then, idk. They have plenty of other holes to fill down their lineup and on the back end.
Ottawa makes a ton of sense. They have their top end guys on great contracts, he is exactly what they are missing. Flipping Debrincat for futures and using his cap space to sign Barbashev and a goalie makes them better right now. Could probalby fit in another 3rd liner too. helps with their depth and addresses the teams biggest need which is physicality and speed in their middle 6.

If the sens can get Barbashev, Varlamov, Connor Brown for Debrincats money + the league minimum roster spots/money for the goalie and third line player they are a much better team overall.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Barbashev Norris Batherson
Grieg Pinto Brown
Joseph Kastelic UFA grinder/fighter
Gauthier Kelly

Chabot Chyrchurn
Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom Hamonic/Schenn
Kleven Bernard-Docker

Varlamov
Forsberg

Ad