Confirmed Trade: [VGK/STL] Ivan Barbashev for Zach Dean

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa giving Barby 5x5 is a future meme for sure. That said, you’re not wrong about that being a nice top 6
Not really a meme he scored 60 points last year. Look what Athanasiou just got paid for 45 and he isn't nearly as versatile. Look what palat just got too. He is going to get that much and it's going to be a good signing.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not really a meme he scored 60 points last year. Look what Athanasiou just got paid for 45 and he isn't nearly as versatile. Look what palat just got too. He is going to get that much and it's going to be a good signing.
He’s a 3rd liner that got to play with eichel and marchesseault. He’s not a 5+ mill player

Reactions: Louie the Blue

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
He will likely be very overpaid during the regular season but you can live with it knowing what he’ll bring in the playoffs more often than not.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s a 3rd liner that got to play with eichel and marchesseault. He’s not a 5+ mill player
Players that score 60 points aren't 3rd liners. He did that on St Louis. Have you considered for a second that they also got to play with him? He made so much room for them out there. Made plays, retrieved pucks drove the net. He is incredible at his role. They all benefited from one another, that's hockey and that's how it works. He made opposition d men terrified and they turned tons of pucks over.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Players that score 60 points aren't 3rd liners. He did that on St Louis. Have you considered for a second that they also got to play with him? He made so much room for them out there. Made plays, retrieved pucks drove the net. He is incredible at his role. They all benefited from one another, that's hockey and that's how it works. He made opposition d men terrified and they turned tons of pucks over.
That hit he laid on Gudas was a thing of terror and beauty that had a huge impact on the series too.

That said, I think if you’re paying for Barbashev to be a force in your top 6 for his next contract then it will not age well. Would love to see it for Barbashev tho, hope he gets a HUGE payday from a team other than St. Louis. I’ll always root for Barbashev, he’s a very lovable player when he’s on your team!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That hit he laid on Gudas was a thing of terror and beauty that had a huge impact on the series too.

That said, I think if you’re paying for Barbashev to be a force in your top 6 for his next contract then it will not age well. Would love to see it for Barbashev tho, hope he gets a HUGE payday from a team other than St. Louis. I’ll always root for Barbashev, he’s a very lovable player when he’s on your team!
I think certain teams have specific needs. If you have lots of skill but not alot of size or grit up front he is a great fit in your top 6. In Ottawa for example they have a bunch of skill but other than Tkachuk they don't have anyone to do the dirty work. Debrincat Pinto Batherson in theory should have worked but they had no puck retrieval player that had enough skill to score. So that line sucked 5 on 5.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I understand how a complimentary player works yes. Just like Hyman, bunting, pascal dupuis and others. He is a 3rd line talent that can play with stars, due to his high motor , physicality and average puck skills. Every time teams pay these guys 5+ mill they get themselves into trouble.

I watched every game he played during that 60 pt season and pretty much every gsme he ever played in a blue note lol u can thank Robert Thomas, buchnevich and Kyrou for that outlier season.

A lot of players in the league play above or below their talent level. He is a 3rd line talent based on his offensive ability overall.

You’d be a complete moron if you signed Ivan Barbashev to a 5.5M contract and expect him to be the main catalyst/driver of a line in your top 6. If you expect him to be a complimentary player like he was this year, then great he can do that, but investing 5-6 mill in cap space for that guy, good luck allocating cap to more important areas….

Reactions: Spicy Panger

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Agreed. He has Zach Hyman type value.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I understand how a complimentary player works yes. Just like Hyman, bunting, pascal dupuis and others. He is a 3rd line talent that can play with stars, due to his high motor , physicality and average puck skills. Every time teams pay these guys 5+ mill they get themselves into trouble.

I watched every game he played during that 60 pt season and pretty much every gsme he ever played in a blue note lol u can thank Robert Thomas, buchnevich and Kyrou for that outlier season.

A lot of players in the league play above or below their talent level. He is a 3rd line talent based on his offensive ability overall.

You’d be a complete moron if you signed Ivan Barbashev to a 5.5M contract and expect him to be the main catalyst/driver of a line in your top 6. If you expect him to be a complimentary player like he was this year, then great he can do that, but investing 5-6 mill in cap space for that guy, good luck allocating cap to more important areas….
Under current cap restrictions you're probably correct. That said, the cap is expected to go up by $7m-$10m in the next couple years and a $5.5m contract would look a LOT better if the cap was in the $90m range as it will be as soon as the 2024-25 season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

He was demoted to the 4th line to fill in for an injured Carrier. Great swiss army knife guy, but if you expect 60 points every year out of him, you're going to be disappointed most likely.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You think Edmonton regrets Hyman haha like you can't be serious. You need guys like that to win. Hf doesn't value physicality, can't rate it on a chart but when you get into a 7 game series against a guy like that he is an x factor. The people that are in the game understand the importance. There are some complimentary players yes but how many bring that level of physicality. He ended Girards playoffs last year he destroyed gudas who is a huge factor. I mean you may not think he's important but his own linemates even bring it up.

Lastly are you even reading my posts?... You quoted my God damn response. Never said he was going to be a catalyst to drive a top 6 forward group. I said he is the right player in the right situation. 5 million a year for an x factor that gives skill guys room and lets them maximize their potential is important. The best versions of Marchessault and Eichel came out because of barbashev.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Still trying to figure out who Zach Dean is. Guess we traded him, or something.
Zach dean vgk 2021 first round pick 30ova.
6ft 180
Qmjhl 2023 Gatineau Olympics
Reg season
Gp 50 g33 a37 p70.
Playoffs
Gp 13 g10 a16 p26.

20 years ols and looks to be a better version of barbashev.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He was demoted to the 4th line to fill in for an injured Carrier. Great swiss army knife guy, but if you expect 60 points every year out of him, you're going to be disappointed most likely.
When you count the playoffs he has been playing at just under a 60 point pace for the last 160 games. 45 to 60 points with the versatility and physicality he brings is 5 million all day. You win with players like him.

Zach dean vgk 2021 first round pick 30ova.
6ft 180
Qmjhl 2023 Gatineau Olympics
Reg season
Gp 50 g33 a37 p70.
Playoffs
Gp 13 g10 a16 p26.

20 years ols and looks to be a better version of barbashev.
They are similar style players but Dean isn't nearly as big/strong. Great player though win win deal for both teams. I watched gatineau alot this year he plays with an edge and can score. I don't think he will have the same physical impact in the NHL but he will play.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
When you count the playoffs he has been playing at just under a 60 point pace for the last 160 games. 45 to 60 points with the versatility and physicality he brings is 5 million all day. You win with players like him.

They are similar style players but Dean isn't nearly as big/strong. Great player though win win deal for both teams. I watched gatineau alot this year he plays with an edge and can score. I don't think he will have the same physical impact in the NHL but he will play.
Blues have neighbors dean snuggerud bolduc and three first round picks this draft. They also have three to four young dmen up and coming in loof kessel gaudete buchinger and a couple others. Then we get to goalie position and blues have joel hofer, Vadim zherenko and coltin Ellis in the system. Both hofer and zherenko will be starting goalies. Blues have a bright future and dean will be apart of that.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
He played so poorly in the POs last season that he was demoted to the 4th line due to being a ghost.

He's a good player and can move up down the lineup as needed, but is best off being a third line player who plays in the top 6 on occasion. Any team that pays him or expects him to be a top 6 player the majority of a season will be disappointed long-term.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
You think Edmonton regrets Hyman haha like you can't be serious. You need guys like that to win. Hf doesn't value physicality, can't rate it on a chart but when you get into a 7 game series against a guy like that he is an x factor. The people that are in the game understand the importance. There are some complimentary players yes but how many bring that level of physicality. He ended Girards playoffs last year he destroyed gudas who is a huge factor. I mean you may not think he's important but his own linemates even bring it up.

Lastly are you even reading my posts?... You quoted my God damn response. Never said he was going to be a catalyst to drive a top 6 forward group. I said he is the right player in the right situation. 5 million a year for an x factor that gives skill guys room and lets them maximize their potential is important. The best versions of Marchessault and Eichel came out because of barbashev.
I get what your saying, but you can find these guys for cheaper, there's a reason Hyman had to leave toronto and they replaced him with 900K Bunting, there's a reason Vegas isn't going to resign Barbashev...... Guys like this that complement superstars can't get paid like legit top 6 fwds, because you always run into cap trouble. Edmonton may not "regret" it, but they're in a very very tough cap situation, seriously lack quality depth down their lineup right now and as we know, have been unable to get over the hump with arguably the two best players in the world. Whoever signs Barby to that contract is most likely going to be relying on him to be more of a play driver. Unless he accepts about 2M less AAV. But what team with star talent can afford to pay him that is my point. I absolutely agree that he helped that line by forechecking creating space, winning extra pucks and getting into the dirty areas consistently. Vegas can't afford to retain him, so arguing his fit on that line is a moot point since he's going to be in a completely different situation anyway.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I get what your saying, but you can find these guys for cheaper, there's a reason Hyman had to leave toronto and they replaced him with 900K Bunting, there's a reason Vegas isn't going to resign Barbashev...... Guys like this that complement superstars can't get paid like legit top 6 fwds, because you always run into cap trouble. Edmonton may not "regret" it, but they're in a very very tough cap situation, seriously lack quality depth down their lineup right now and as we know, have been unable to get over the hump with arguably the two best players in the world. Whoever signs Barby to that contract is most likely going to be relying on him to be more of a play driver. Unless he accepts about 2M less AAV. But what team with star talent can afford to pay him that is my point. I absolutely agree that he helped that line by forechecking creating space, winning extra pucks and getting into the dirty areas consistently. Vegas can't afford to retain him, so arguing his fit on that line is a moot point since he's going to be in a completely different situation anyway.
Hyman didn't re sign in Toronto because they didn't have the cap space. Barbashev won't be back because they don't have the cap space not because they don't want to sign them. Players like bunting aren't available for 900k on a regular basis. Hence why he is going to get paid too. If it were that easy to find physical players that can compliment a skill guy everyone would do it. Certain teams have more of a need for that type of player. The ones that lack depth but have top end skill and are easy to play against. It's situational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad