Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DAL] Marc Methot Traded To Dallas for G Dylan Ferguson + 2nd in 2020

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I get that he made deals, but to say those players would have been traded might have just been a bluff and even if it happened that would have left other good assets available. Yeah I made couple mistakes there(I took that lineup from some notes I made before the expansion draft), but point still stands.

Some of those players would have been traded, some wouldnt. Either way it would be pretty chaotic, and the way McPhee did it at least guaranteed a big draft haul.

Gotta say though seeing this low return on Methot theres a few screw ups in there between Ottawa and Vegas.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I mean I see what he's doing. He's trading for the far future. He now has three seconds in the 2019 and 2020 drafts. He's going to hang on to Neal and Perron and get likely two 2018 1sts for them. So he is trying to stack all drafts with 5-6 1st and 2nd round picks for the next three years.

I still don't like it, and the value isn't great. But he's going long-term on this.

Yeah they are staggering the picks so they don't all become RFA at once. I don't like what they are doing either because I would prefer to see them take advantage of the more generous expansion format and be somewhat competitive right away, but the long term outlook is good if their fans can tolerate several years of tanking and building through the draft.

But why would he do it that way? It seems like he could get more value by taking earlier year picks and flipping them whenever. If he takes a 2018 2nd round pick, he can always trade it for an equivalent 2019 2nd round + something smallish. To lose value simply to get the picks in later years makes no sense.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yup. Probably this.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Message board user "bossram" doesn't quite know the value of players as well as an actual NHL GM.

Or GMs are not infallible and frequently make terrible player evaluations, which we can easily point out.

We're talking about the Erat for Forsberg guy here. McPhee isn't a savant.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Its funny how teams pay more for a 4th line center at the deadline on a expiring contract than they do for 2 years of a top 4 defensemen on a good contract... Makes no sense

Boyle(ufa) traded to Toronto for 2nd(2017)+Froese
Methot(2 years left) traded to Dallas for 2nd(2020)+ Ferguson

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Its funny how teams pay more for a 4th line center at the deadline on a expiring contract than they do for 2 years of a top 4 defensemen on a good contract... Makes no sense

McPhee is a tool, that's one reason.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006

Supply and demand. Makes a lot of sense actually.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
This is basically just a 2nd round pick. Ferguson isn’t even the best goalie on his WHL team, sorry.

There’s no way Methot was only worth a 2nd... in 2020...

#FireGMGM

Uhhh he is now. He's the starting goalie because Connor Ingram is moving up to the AHL. His stats show that he right now is a solid goaltender. Almost the same stats as Ingram.

So relax chief. Don't throw out comments you know nothing about.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
This is basically just a 2nd round pick. Ferguson isn’t even the best goalie on his WHL team, sorry.

There’s no way Methot was only worth a 2nd... in 2020...

#FireGMGM

18 year old who just got drafted vs. 20 year old overager... not really a fair comparison.

He was also 3rd in Sv% in the WHL behind Ingram and Hart. He's putting up almost identical stats as Ingram while being 2 years younger.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Does McPhee own stock in that Videotron Arena in Quebec City? That's the only reason why I can see him deliberately tanking the Knights this way. :help:

The draft lotto means he isn't guaranteed a top 3 pick, no matter how bad LVGK are.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
McPhee overplayed his strategy of flipping expansion picks to other teams in order to accrue draft picks. I'm not closely familiar with all of the expansion draft picks, but IIRC most of the 11 D-men were NHL regulars.

By doing that, he backed himself into a corner where he would have to trade those guys rather than being able to be selective about the ones he wanted to trade. He had an excess supply for guys where there was/is not much demand and so he had to accept laughable prices.

If he had simply taken good players, across a balance of positions, with a good number of prospects on 2-way deals then he would be in a much better position.

And why in the world would he take pending free agents? That's just absolute lunacy. Complete waste of expansion draft picks. If you like those guys, fine, make them an offer when UFA opens.

I challenge you to name 1 prospect who was waiver exempt, that was available in the expansion draft, who is significantly better than an asset that any of the defencemen he picked could easily have been flipped for.

Yes -- the fact that McPhee has to offload a few defencemen will result in suboptimal value on each trade, but the reality is, it's more value than taking the marginal NHLers who are waiver exempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad