Very Early Redraft

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Poehling has 10 points in 7 games in the NCAA, as one of the youngest players in the league

And his team's top scorer is a 22-year-old undrafted defenseman. Nothing against talents playing in the NCAA, but there are tougher leagues. Most older college players are stuck there for a reason. Someone like Borgström obviously does have an advantage.

It's a small sample size, but it's all these assumptions are based on for the redraft so far, and this small sample size can't allow you to have him drop out of the 1st round.

I could drop him out of the whole draft if I so wish. But no, let him be somewhere 2nd round when players with evident top line potential are gone. Like I said, he may well become a passable 3C in the future, but I don't see any higher ceiling than that for him.

I'm saying this as someone who did not like the pick that much either at the time, because I saw his ceiling as a 3rd line C, but he's showing he could have the potential of being an efficient, responsible 2-way 2nd line center.

Okay, so we will see. Maybe time will prove you right, but so far I will remain skeptical.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
all Heiskanen supporters, wait until the U20 when he obliterates the competition. it's going to be ugly how far ahead he is of everyone. he'll be defenseman of the tournament. it's just going to take a well-publicized viewing for people to really come around to what the numbers are saying.

Not sure if im more excited to see him at the Juniors or the Olympics

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Wait seriously LINDEN VEY is the leading scorer in the KHL? Is this some sort off parallel universe? This is so weird..

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Well, someone has to stand up for Heiskanen. If it weren't for us Finns and a handful of Dallas fans, would anyone even remember him?
Does it really matter if anyone on an internet forum remembers him? I'm sure the Dallas staff knows pretty well just how good he is doing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wait seriously LINDEN VEY is the leading scorer in the KHL? Is this some sort off parallel universe? This is so weird..
Well he is with 11+31=42 in 31 games.

But for pace his teammate Nigel Dawes does have him beat at 28+12=40 in 27 games.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
So just to be clear:

Do you think that 17(6 goals) points in 15 games for a forward in SHL is so much better than 10(6 goals) points in 10 games in Liiga as a defenseman that the rankings should be switched around? Not to mention Heiskanen is a year younger than Pettersson.

Do you think that being PPG in Liiga as a defenseman is commonplace or something?

The last defenseman to be at least at a PPG pace in Liiga is Erik Karlsson in 2012-2013 with 34 points in 30 games. Are you familiar with him?

Amount of other Defensemen at or above Heiskanen's pace in Liiga since 2000: 2

Amount of other Forwards at or above Pettersson's pace in SHL since 2000: 24

And of course, you also seem to think that 17 points(6 goals) in 15 games in SHL(as u 20 player) is more impressive than having 25 points(14 goals) in 27 games in KHL(as a u19 player). Can you confirm that that also is something you're saying?

The condescension in this post is gross.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
lol at people who don't have mittlestatd in their top 5
Yes, because in one summer showcase and 9 big 10 games he has absolutely done enough to move ahead of the 7 people taken ahead of him.

Its fine to think he should have gone top 5, but to claim to think otherwise is "lol" worthy is such blatant homerism it's hilarious.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I’m not sure I see Heiskanen’s 10 in 10 as being all that “historic”. Juolevi is slightly behind him at 6 in 9 and he was terrible at camp this fall and put up back to back seasons of 42 pts in the OHL. I mean it’s neat that Karlsson didn’t dominate Liiga during the lockout but I don’t think Juoelvi’s 6 in 9 makes him the next great offensive Dman so I’m not sure Heiskanen’s 10 in 10 should either.

But that’s the problem with 10 and 9 game samples. It’s hard to put too much stock in either.

I agree with the part of labeling a ten game sample size "historic". If he can keep up with that pace until the end of the season then that'd be historic and then some, unreal might be the right word. I don't expect this and I doubt many others do either. However if you put things into perspective, dig a little and find out that he scored 10 points all together last season and was drafted 3rd overall then what he's doing right now is pretty crazy. Already at the same points as he finished last season with having to play only 10 games to get there. Furthermore Miro's defense has always been his trademark so when you have an absolute stud defensive D-man turning into a two-way blueliner who can score goals, then no wonder if his stocks are on fire.

From the last decades only Karlsson has been able to score at such pace in FEL as far as I can remember. Again, don't think it's sustainable nor does it really has to. Miro is only 18 years old and no way near his prime level. If this is just the beginning he's going to be a superstar in the NHL. I have nothing against Pettersson but I don't think he has this kind of potential. I'd take future #1D over elite first line center any day unless he looked like franchise player and so far I would be against that, but time will tell. I don't think the Devils management would look back on taking Pettersson instead of Hischier but I'd think they'd really have to think long and hard before passing up on Heiskanen.

Reactions: 1OApick

ijuka

May 14, 2016
lol at people who don't have mittlestatd in their top 5
Interesting. So let's take Aleksi Heponiemi here. What has Mittelstadt done to be considered ahead of him? 1 PPG in NCAA as a u20 player seriously isn't that amazing. Heponiemi's playing in a tougher league and has 2.5 PPG and +22.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree with the part of labeling a ten game sample size "historic". If he can keep up with that pace until the end of the season then that'd be historic and then some, unreal might be the right word. I don't expect this and I doubt many others do either. However if you put things into perspective, dig a little and find out that he scored 10 points all together last season and was drafted 3rd overall then what he's doing right now is pretty crazy. Already at the same points as he finished last season with having to play only 10 games to get there. Furthermore Miro's defense has always been his trademark so when you have an absolute stud defensive D-man turning into a two-way blueliner who can score goals, then no wonder if his stocks are on fire.

From the last decades only Karlsson has been able to score at such pace in FEL as far as I can remember. Again, don't think it's sustainable nor does it really has to. Miro is only 18 years old and no way near his prime level. If this is just the beginning he's going to be a superstar in the NHL. I have nothing against Pettersson but I don't think he has this kind of potential. I'd take future #1D over elite first line center any day unless he looked like franchise player and so far I would be against that, but time will tell. I don't think the Devils management would look back on taking Pettersson instead of Hischier but I'd think they'd really have to think long and hard before passing up on Heiskanen.
Cory Murphy was at 1.11 ppg in 2006/07. Here's a complete list.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...&teamname=&nation=&nationname=&age=&order=PPG

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
#1 Hischier
#2 Tolvanen
#3 Heiskanen
#4 Patrick
#5 Pettersson
#6 Glass
#7 Makar
#8 Andersson
#9 Rasmussen
#10 Mittelstadt
#11 Tippett
#12 Suzuki
#13 Necas
#14 Foote
#15 Vilardi
#16 Chytil
#17 Brännström
#18 Välimäki
#19 Liljegren
#20 Vaakanainen
#21 Thomas
#22 Yamamoto
#23 Kostin
#24 Norris
#25 Heponiemi
#26 Joseph
#27 Vesalainen
#28 Batherson
#29 Frost
#30 Ruzicka
#31 Jokiharju

No Poehling? he's actually killing it right now

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Interesting. So let's take Aleksi Heponiemi here. What has Mittelstadt done to be considered ahead of him? 1 PPG in NCAA as a u20 player seriously isn't that amazing. Heponiemi's playing in a tougher league and has 2.5 PPG and +22.
The WHL isn't a tougher league to score in than the Big 10.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No Poehling? he's actually killing it right now
No kidding. Tolvanen at 2, Mittelstadt at 10, Jokiharju at 31, Liljegren at 19, and Yamamoto at 22 seem quite bad as well if we're looking at performance post draft combined with draft order. This thread is just an illustration of why re-drafts in November of the same year generally aren't a good idea. Sample sizes are way too small for anyone to really stand out in a good or bad way.

Reactions: ottawa

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Looks like Rafalski made it there too at 98-99 while it's not exactly yesterday. I do actually remember him from the days even though that was almost twenty years ago. He followed it up by making a nice career in the NHL. Anyway, I don't expect Miro to join this club, he's too young and the times are different. If he wraps the season up staying at 0,6-0,8 PPG that'd be quite a success.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think that it is because people got so stuck on the idea of this being the "Patrick draft" as it had been labeled years ago. and judging the entire draft's quality through him.

I really won't be surprised if Hischier, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Tolvanen etc. all end up being significantly better than him, and soon.

I think the take over is already happening.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Why is everyone getting so heated over a redraft debate?

There is no clear winner yet between a Pettersson vs Heiskanen debate. Even as a Canucks fan, I acknowledge that it is very possible Heiskanen becomes a better player in the NHL than
Pettersson.

However, this is not a situation where Canucks fans are saying that they would take Virtanen over Nylander in a redraft.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

So, you're telling me if I put blue and white goggles on, the WHL will be tougher to score in as an 18yr than the NCAA as an 18yr?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00