Very Early Redraft

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Don't misunderstand me, i'm totally on the same side as you, that Hischier is easy #1 at the moment and that won't change before others give better NHL showing than him. (If they ever do)

Just wanted to shine some light on the Nummelin case for everyone else.

I like your post. Plus, I am just glad that someone knows about Petteri!

Reactions: tomi2 and Saekk

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Tolvy looked like a huge steal considering where he went.

Elias looks like potentially the best player in this draft class, he has been THAT good.

Of course, tolvy and elias can bust in the NHL, and we will all look dumb, but hey you never know.

Yes potentially yes, but i would take Hischer as of now, he doing just fine in NHL, and as you say Pettersson, Tolvanen and Heiskanen can all bust in NHL.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
What's the logic behind this? #33 has 32 points in WHL, #39 has 48.
first of all, #39 isn't heponiemi.
Secondly, he's on an extremely stacked line. His linemates are all scoring at the same pace as him and one of is linemates is outscoring him.
Kole Lind is the offensive driver for his team, leading his team in scoring by a huge margin. Just like he was the play driver in the WHL vs Russia series earlier this month.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What's the logic behind this? #33 has 32 points in WHL, #39 has 48.
the logic is Lind is also a Canucks prospect so he think higher of him for that.

Not sure even after considering his stacked line how you could chose Lind over Heponiemi. 48 in 18 is ridiculous

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
the logic is Lind is also a Canucks prospect so he think higher of him for that.

Not sure even after considering his stacked line how you could chose Lind over Heponiemi. 48 in 18 is ridiculous

This Canucks fan agrees. That Hippo is for real!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Mittelstadt is near PPG as a rookie in the NCAA, has dominated at every level thus far, and is one of the most purely skilled players in his class, he is going to be an excellent player.

NCAA is one of the top development leagues in the world.

KHL, SHL, Liiga, AHL, NLA, so on.

NCAA isn't in the highest tier of leagues to play for prospects outside of NHL.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Look... No one knows who will be the best player of this draft. Players take different time in developing. Some are monsters right out of the gate - McDavid, Matthews, etc etc -, some take longer, sometimes much longer - like Hedman for example.

But this is a "very early redraft" thread. What has changed from draft day? Roughly 1 month of hockey was played in the 17-18 season all around the world. That's ALL that changed and that's all that can be taken into consideration.
And no matter what performance Pettersson or anyone else has done in Europe or in the Juniors, it. does. not. compare. to. playing. in. the. NHL.

Making an analogy, it's like trying to peddle that someone driving top level in F3 or go karts is currently better than someone driving at top level in F1. Not a chance.

PS: and about physique not being adequate for playing in the NHL re Pettersson... Have you seen Hischier? He almost looks malnourished...
Absolutely agree with you, if you ask me i think the rankings should all be the same with Tolvanen being the only one deserving of a rise even after such short period. But what i'm saying is that it's not that far fetched to suggest that Hischier, Tolvanen, Pettersson or Heiskanen should go number 1 seeing how they've all been spectacular. And theres an injury argument for Patrick aswell.

About the physique though. Hischier weighs more than Pettersson with Hischier being 179 and Pettersson 165. Only difference is that Pettersson is 6'2-6'3 and Hischier 6'1 :laugh:

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
KHL, SHL, Liiga, AHL, NLA, so on.

NCAA isn't in the highest tier of leagues to play for prospects outside of NHL.

I'm talking about development, look at the facilities of North Dakota, it may better than most NHL teams. Theres a reason why college free agents are sought after and why so many college players have success in the NHL.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
This is why drafts sometimes take years to assess in hindsight; some players take longer to develop than others, while some either suffer unforeseen injuries or stagnate:

November 2003 posts about the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/1999-draft.26397/#post-437164
This is how I would pick the top 20:

1. R Martin Havlat
2. D Barret Jackman
3. C Mike Comrie
4. C Henrik Sedin
5. D Nick Boynton
6. C Henrik Zetterberg
7. G Ryan Miller
8. L Daniel Sedin
9. G Maxime Ouellet
10. C Patrik Stefan
11. D Alex Semenov
12. L Niklas Hagman
13. D Jeff Jillson
14. R Adam Hall
15. C Tim Connolly
16. R Radim Vrbata
17. R Branko Radiojevic
18. G Martin Prusek
19. L Taylor Pyatt
20. D Frantisek Kaberle
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/1999-draft.26397/#post-437415
1. R Martin Havlat
2. D Barret Jackman
3. D Nick Boynton
4. C Henrik Sedin
5. L Daniel Sedin
6. C Henrik Zetterberg
7. D Jordan Leopold
8. G Ryan Miller
9. C Mike Comrie
10. D David Tanabe

that's my top 10...

7-8-10 are not proven NHLer but I consider them as big time lock...

BJ21
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/1999-draft.26397/#post-428632
1 : M.Havlat
2 : B.Jackman
3 : M.Comrie
4 : H.Zetterberg
5 : Sedin
6 : Sedin
7 : R.Miller
8 : N.Boynton
9 : A.Hall
10 : A.Semenov
11 : T.Pyatt
12 : J.Rita
13 : M.Prusek
14 : T.Connolly
15 : J.Jillson ( look good this year ... )
16 : N.Hagman
17 : F.Kaberle
18 : P.Stefan
19 : M.Ouelett
20 : R.Vrbata
21 : B.Radivojevic
22 : O.Saprykin
23 : R.Hahl
24 : J.Leopold
25 : M.Weinhandl
26 : N.Havelid
27 : A.Khavanov
28 : J.Lundmark
----
29 : M.Sivek
30 : D.Shvidki

28 Teams at the time
Four years after the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, Martin Havlat and Barrett Jackman were considered to be the consensus Top 2 players from that draft class. Jackman had just won the Calder Memorial Trophy, and Havlat had scored 24 goals, 59 points in 67 games in 2002-03.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/1999-draft.26397/#post-437064
Anyone who does not have Havlat number 1 at this point has no credibility IMO. It is Havlat, Jackman, Boynton, Comrie the Sedins and Zetterberg IMO. Rita should in no way be considered in the top 5, and arguably not in the top 10 either. I am sick of talking about upside. Let's talk reality and what players are most likely to achieve. Upside is irrelevant.
Seldom do arguments bear any weight in a premature redraft thread. I don't think we can say definitively who the best player in the draft class is until all of them have developed.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
4 years is still better than 4 months. I think in this day and age a 2013 redraft today could be reasonable. 2014 and onwards would be a questionable exercise. 2017 and this thread is absurd.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
1) Nico Hischier
2) Elias Pettersson
3) Miro Heiskanen
4) Eeli Tolvanen
5) Nolan Patrick
6) Filip Chytil
7) Cody Glass
8) Cale Makar
9) Casey Mittelstadt
10) Kole Lind

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
1) Nico Hischier
2) Elias Pettersson
3) Miro Heiskanen
4) Eeli Tolvanen
5) Nolan Patrick
6) Filip Chytil
7) Cody Glass
8) Cale Makar
9) Casey Mittelstadt
10) Kole Lind

I am excited about Kole Lind, and think he has a shot at Team Canada this year. He could be a nice piece for the Canucks going forward. I think he has likely played himself into a top 25 spot, but top 10 may be bit far fetched.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I am excited about Kole Lind, and think he has a shot at Team Canada this year. He could be a nice piece for the Canucks going forward. I think he has likely played himself into a top 25 spot, but top 10 may be bit far fetched.
Top 10 is ridiculous. Top 25 sounds about right.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Jordy Bellerive would easily have been drafted in a re-draft, and higher than the last rounds. On pace for about 100 pts. Pretty bad team too.

99 born so was his first year of being draft eligible too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vesalainen (#24 overall) is having a nice season. Now leads his Liiga team in points/game with to 6g 9a in 22 games, with points on about 30% of his team's goals. Looking forward to seeing how he performs at the WJC-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad