Pre-Game Talk: Vegas baby, comes to Ottawa, Saturday afternoon 2:00pm on TSN

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I feel bad for Turris that the story of the near trade leaked out. He probably knew about it through his agent but it must still be tough to play these games with his teammates and the fans knowing too.

He kind of put him self in this situation, by not re-signing for a fair value.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Turris doesn't owe the team anything. He's finishing up a contract that saw him perform at a level well above his paygrade, and now he's trying to maximize his earning potential. It's business. The same goes for the Senators - they have no obligation to give him a retirement contract.

Both sides are just doing what they have to do. Nobody is in the wrong here - that said, it would be better for all involved if a trade were consummated sooner rather than later. It seems like we're passed the point of no return.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How does anyone know what is being offered??? Just because you hear a rumour, does not make it a fact.
Okay so... what's your point. We're all speculating. Just like the person I responded to was speculating that turris was making unfair demands.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I feel bad for Turris that the story of the near trade leaked out. He probably knew about it through his agent but it must still be tough to play these games with his teammates and the fans knowing too.
He is being shopped because he and his agent are asking for too much in dollars and/ or term. If he wants to stay in Ottawa he will have to sign for less. Turris now knows that. So it is up to him to decide. Given that trade talks are occurring, apparently he has decided to still have high demands for salary and term.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Turris' ask is pretty fair when looking at the market place if it is in the 7-8 year 6M range. He'll have zero problem getting 6M x 7 years on July 1st. In fact, he might even get more than that. There's a lot more comparable contracts that put him in that range than there are exceptions to the norm like Little or Tyler Johnson that put him in the 5M range.

That doesn't mean Ottawa should sign the contract though, and if a player genuinely wants to stay with a specific team, there are sometimes certain realities they have to come to terms with about that team's salary structure or ability to pay out a contract. I don't blame Turris for asking for what he wants, but I don't think he is an important enough player that a team like Ottawa can justify signing that kind of deal right now when Stone and Karlsson are going to need to get paid, and the payroll might be approaching what ownership has set as an upper limit.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Boo Boo is correct the Turris camp is asking for 7 yrs @ $6 mil which IMO seems very fair for the kind of player he has been for Ottawa. PD seems to be offering the same amount of money but for 5 yrs so it's the term they can't seem to agree on at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if they meet at 6 yrs @ $6.5 mil unless PD has his mind set on aquiring Duchene which IMO doesn't seem like much of an upgrade, if any. This could turn into another Zibby vs Brassard kind of deal where both sides kind of won the deal depending on who you talk to.

Duchene has another yr left on his contract & he is already at $6 mil, if he were to be re-signed when his contract is up he will want more than his current contract & likely a long term as well which he could also probably get on the open market. Duchene may be the faster & slightly better offensive player but Turris is IMO without a doubt the better defensive & two way player & better at faceoffs. I just don't see Duchene being an upgrade to Turris. Is being slightly better offensively & faster better than Turris being much better defensively & better at faceoffs? Tough call I guess but IMO Ottawa could use & needs Landeskog's skillset more on this roster than Duchene's skillset. I guess we'll see what PD has in mind for this team & whether any deal that he makes improves this roster or their record or is it an internal money problem he is trying to fix ... again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad