GDT: Vegas at YOUR Toronto Maple Leafs, Tuesday, Feb 26th, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The guys around him in that area like Bylsma and Boudreau I'm guessing.

Although doing it with Holtby and Fluery seems a bit different than with Campbell/Samsonov for the majority of his tenure (and probably explains more about playoff issues than anything else IMO)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Hoping the team comes out aggressively early. They can catch up if they fall behind from penalties so its better to let game management in the latter half of the game favor them. Rattle the cage and let the big boys mop it up in the final period and a half.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I am going to give him a standing ovation and will encourage everyone around me to do same ... Captain Morgan returns home baby ... lets just give him da C for f*ck sakes and do it right
Personally, I think Rielly's cross-check on Greg was a childish overreaction to a silly move. But to each their own. To me, the very idea that a dumb move like taking a slapshot on an empty net goal is serious disrespectful and requires a violent response from s one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Personally, I think Rielly's cross-check on Greg was a childish overreaction to a silly move. But to each their own. To me, the very idea that a dumb move like taking a slapshot on an empty net goal is serious disrespectful and requires a violent response from s one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
Disagree. When someone disrespects you like that in Sports you have to have a response. What was Rielly supposed to do wait until next season to fight the kid? Greig got what he deserved.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Impressive record but has any coach in history started his career walking into such a stacked deck?
He definitely started out with a lot of talent, but I highly doubt the most ever.

Also, worth noting that Babs, who is certainly an asshole but was also considered a high end coach, was doing quite a bit worse with similar talent. Like year-by-year, looking at the year that was split Keefe/Babs, and 2 years on either side:
  • 2017/18 (Babs)
    • 49-26-7 (60% win pct, 64% points pct)
  • 2018/19 (Babs)
    • 46-28-8 (56% win pct, 61% points pct)
  • 2019/20 (the Babs portion of the season)
    • 9-10-4 (39% win pct, 48% points pct)
  • 2019/20 (the Keefe portion of the season)
    • 27-15-5 (57% win pct, 63% points pct)
  • 2020/21 (Keefe)
    • 35-14-7 (63% win pct, 69% points pct)
  • 2021/22 (Keefe)
    • 54-21-7 (66% win pct, 70% points pct)
I do think Keefe has had the team performing quite a bit better than Babs, and probably significantly better than most coaches in the league would have this team performing.

Reactions: Zybalto

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
You say this having Dave Keon as your avatar, he would have done much worse

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I like the response (should have dropped the gloves first). I just find it funny this was the incident that galvanized the team. I guess rookie Knies getting his head caved in didn’t move the needle

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
How many playoff series did the coaches in that comparison group manage to win?

He needs the win to steal 2nd place from Boudreau who finished with 2 playoff series wins in his 5 years with the Caps. His last season they were swept in the 2nd round by Tampa and he was ultimately let go the following year when his team was way underperfroming mid season.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
These are supposed to be men, why are they acting like children? I just laugh at all the things that rattle pro atheltes. Wow, a guy shot a slapshot into our empty net. I wanna break his face.
Then there's guys who get rattled by watching pro athletes. Wow a guy hit another guy in the face, I want to cry about it on the internet.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I have a feeling they’re not going to stop there either. Lots of reasons to be excited about this team right now
I think they win tonight and sleepwalk through a win against Arizona, but the game against the Rangers on Saturday should be a real test.

Reactions: authentic

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He definitely started out with a lot of talent, but I highly doubt the most ever.

Also, worth noting that Babs, who is certainly an asshole but was also considered a high end coach, was doing quite a bit worse with similar talent. Like year-by-year, looking at the year that was split Keefe/Babs, and 2 years on either side:
  • 2017/18 (Babs)
    • 49-26-7 (60% win pct, 64% points pct)
  • 2018/19 (Babs)
    • 46-28-8 (56% win pct, 61% points pct)
  • 2019/20 (the Babs portion of the season)
    • 9-10-4 (39% win pct, 48% points pct)
  • 2019/20 (the Keefe portion of the season)
    • 27-15-5 (57% win pct, 63% points pct)
  • 2020/21 (Keefe)
    • 35-14-7 (63% win pct, 69% points pct)
  • 2021/22 (Keefe)
    • 54-21-7 (66% win pct, 70% points pct)
I do think Keefe has had the team performing quite a bit better than Babs, and probably significantly better than most coaches in the league would have this team performing.
Team had tuned Babcock out, no doubt.
I can’t think of a Coach walking into a better situation but there certainly could be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad