GDT: Vegas at YOUR Toronto Maple Leafs, Tuesday, Feb 26th, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This is my question for the playoffs. I'm not sure you can have a Nylander/Bertuzzi/Domi line getting heavy minutes in close playoff times given their defensive....tendencies. It's why I think they will probably acquire another defensive forward at the deadline.

They're getting a defensive forward back from injury in Jarnkrok. It will be interesting how the lines shape up at that point.

Reactions: banks

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They're getting a defensive forward back from injury in Jarnkrok. It will be interesting how the lines shape up at that point.
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jarnkrok back on the first line at some point, as that line will generally be dominant no matter who they put with Matthews and Marner (i.e., I think it's the line they can most easily mess around with and still find success).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is he ready to go?
It's hard to see them change the lineup while they are on this heater.

Reactions: banks

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Is he ready to go?
It's hard to see them change the lineup while they are on this heater.

If he does get back in, easing into the lineup on the 4th line might be the best move, despite the 4th line playing so well lately (that's been with various wingers playing)

It's gonna get more interesting if you want to put him in the top 9. His most effective linemates this season have been with Domi and Robertson.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If he does get back in, easing into the lineup on the 4th line might be the best move, despite the 4th line playing so well lately (that's been with various wingers playing)

It's gonna get more interesting if you want to put him in the top 9. His most effective linemates this season have been with Domi and Robertson.
I see Keefe doing this as soon as the streak is over, but damn, that means putting Tavares back with Nylander on the 2nd line. Tavares really has looked better on the third line. I think the softer matchups have really benefitted his game.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I see Keefe doing this as soon as the streak is over, but damn, that means putting Tavares back with Nylander on the 2nd line. Tavares really has looked better on the third line. I think the softer matchups have really benefitted his game.
IMO, Tavares will stay put on the 3rd line for the rest of the year. Top two lines won't be touched unless they go into an extended tail spin.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
When Jankrok gets back in I hope Keefe recognizes that breaking up what's been working (with emphasis on the top 6) to accommodate a 3rd liner isn't a winning strategy. Put him alongside Tavares on the 3rd line and drop either McMann or Robertson down = Minimal impact.

In any case, that's probably a debate for another day. Given that this hot streak isn't going to last forever, I just hope they put in a full 60-minute effort tonight win or lose.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
When Jankrok gets back in I hope Keefe recognizes that breaking up what's been working (with emphasis on the top 6) to accommodate a 3rd liner isn't a winning strategy. Put him alongside Tavares on the 3rd line and drop either McMann or Robertson down = Minimal impact.

In any case, that's probably a debate for another day. Given that this hot streak isn't going to last forever, I just hope they put in a full 60-minute effort tonight win or lose.

Nobody stands in the way of their own success as much as Keefe. Banking on here we go again galaxy braining.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I think that's likely.
McMann will stay while he's playing so well which leaves Robertson.
IMO, Robertson or Reaves will be exchanged for each other on the 4th line, depending on the opponent.

Reactions: kevsh

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
IMO, Tavares will stay put on the 3rd line for the rest of the year. Top two lines won't be touched unless they go into an extended tail spin.

Ya, there will be shuffles because of cold streaks and injuries. But splitting up the big 4 across the top 3 lines just makes too much sense now. It's a pretty big luxury to have.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I didn’t know because they never tell you in advance …(I wonder why) but I’m glad I sold these tickets for tonight’s game.

Go Leafs Go

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I wonder if Eichel is back tonight.
There isn't really much to Vegas' offense without Eichel and Stone. I think their only chance to beat the Leafs in this game is to keep it very low-scoring, but even their defense and goaltending has struggled over the past couple of weeks. Given how well they started the season, they are surprisingly close to being a wild card team. What a raw deal if the team that finishes second in the Western conference gets Vegas in the first round as its prize....

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
There isn't really much to Vegas' offense without Eichel and Stone. I think their only chance to beat the Leafs in this game is to keep it very low-scoring, but even their defense and goaltending has struggled over the past couple of weeks. Given how well they started the season, they are surprisingly close to being a wild card team. What a raw deal if the team that finishes second in the Western conference gets Vegas in the first round as its prize....
When a team has a low chance to win, that's win Keefe has his biggest influence.

• Haha
Reactions: Suntouchable13

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

It all depends on Bertuzzi/Nylander/Domi really.

If they continue to outscore their D, they will stick together. A few games can make a line but also break it. Tough games ahead and if they get filled in, we need lines that can hold up against good teams in the playoffs.

I think Keefe really liked the Robertson/Domi/Jarnkrok line too which may come into play (and they were very good).

Also up in the air is what to do if we make any big moves st the deadline.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Looking at the numbers, a Leafs win tonight would make Keefe the 2nd fastest coach to 200 wins in NHL history (Correct me if my math is wrong folks).

Reactions: Dekes For Days

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Non-contact jersey suggesting he's a few games away at least.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Looking at the numbers, a Leafs win tonight would make Keefe the 2nd fastest coach to 200 wins in NHL history (Correct me if my math is wrong folks).
I find that impressive, but also makes the lack of playoff success sting more.

I know there have been a lot of variables, and it's not all on him, but damn...

Reactions: Aashir Mallik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad