Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Oh my god :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
So I still haven’t heard of the segment – because 1040 seems not to want to post a working version – but I had a conversation with Botch today and he basically told me what he was talking about. It is a bit more nuanced and there’s a certain logic to it, but it is still pretty farfetched for anyone who can figure out how long I’ve been on this forum, how long I’ve lived outside of BC, etc.

Did you start making the strip around the time Gilman and Crawford were fired...?

Maybe you're responsible. :)
That was the subject of the first strip, but it was actually close to the 2016 deadline that I began.

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It was on hour 2 of the Halford and Brough show. It'll show up here soon: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/audio
So it seems they uploaded a corrupt version... it's 17 minutes of choppy audio fragments, and seems to be at every source (on the site, on iTunes, iHeartRadio, etc.)

DAMN IT they better fix this. Anyone know of some other source?

edit: Hooray for Facebook! (Never thought I'd say that).

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We don't really have any knowledgeable hockey hosts on either 1040 or 650. It's guys who never really played any sports at the elite level (certainly not hockey) talking about hockey. It's their opinion, or what they hear from others. I would really like to have hosts (at least one of the two guys, who are regular) who were actually hockey players! I like when Dave Tomlinson is on 1040. He's excellent.

To be fair, most journalists, broadcasters, or radio hosts had schooling in that field. An elite athlete generally don't study that field. And my understanding is that it's not really a high paying job? I would think that working as a colour commentor or hockey analyst makes more than being a radio talk show host.

It's not hockey, but the Moj knows what he's talking about when it comes to football.

Reactions: Luckylarry

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
I find it amazing how much the sports media landscape has changed throughout the years.
There used to be a time when the Canucks were desperate for media coverage and would go on some some relatively hostile radio segments. E.g. Brian Burke vs mcCrae. Fast forward to present time when you have nobody heavily criticizing the Canucks management on 650 as they have been awarded broadcasting rights. There is no obligation for Canuck management to do interviews on 1040 and if they do, as was the case a couple of weeks ago, you can be assured the hosts will not ask any tough questions. I found it nauseating how soft Donnie and Mojs questions were to Benning. At the end of the interview Donnie was congratulating Benning for signing Peterson and Donnie and Moj were falling over themselves to wish Benning "all the best". Its one thing to be polite it's another to come across as too accommodating and desperate.

Last edited:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
That's Donnie & The Moj though. They are more concerned with ripping on each other & Ry or making inside jokes (which is great radio for a listener who is oblivious to them).

JPat sat in with Donnie & Ry today. There was apart of the show where those 2 went off the rails & couldn't keep their composure; JPat was silent almost the entire time. I had a mental picture of the guy just sitting quietly in the corner waiting for them to settle down to talk hockey again. Kinda mind blowing that out of those 3 that JPat was the one who was let go by 1040 last year or the year before...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
There is a gulf between what Linden says and what his regime is doing. Linden advocated transparency when he started the job and implemented those town hall meetings that we all know were discontinued. I personally don't hold anything against them for stopping the town halls. They tried something that didn't work and decided to discontinue. But I do take exception with the following: there has been a long standing tradition for the Canucks GM to do a weekly radio interview. Burke, Nonis, Gillis all did it and so did linden/Benning until this season. Benning and Linden stopped the weekly interview. Past GMs would donate their stipend to charity. Lose lose situation.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I find it amazing how much the sports media landscape has changed throughout the years.
There used to be a time when the Canucks were desperate for media coverage and would go on some some relatively hostile radio segments. E.g. Brian Burke vs mcCrae. Fast forward to present time when you have nobody heavily criticizing the Canucks management on 650 as they have been awarded broadcasting rights. There is no obligation for Canuck management to do interviews on 1040 and if they do, as was the case a couple of weeks ago, you can be assured the hosts will not ask any tough questions. I found it nauseating how soft Donnie and Mojs questions were to Benning. At the end of the interview Donnie was congratulating Benning for signing Peterson and Donnie and Moj were falling over themselves to wish Benning "all the best". Its one thing to be polite it's another to come across as too accommodating and desperate.

Donnie has never been one to ask the tough questions. Moj might if he dislikes you the way he disliked Gillis for joking that's he cleared out the buffet.

A lot of people don't seem to consider this or think this, but Benning is a good interview. He is From what I have heard, he is not a pretentious guy. He will talk hockey with you behind the scenes and obviously he's quite willing to share in interviews. As the interviewer, it's hard to attack a guy like that. He isn't Gillis or Burke.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Does anyone here notice that Brian Burke somehow seems to shoehorn winning the cup with Anaheim in 2007 into almost every segment?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
And when he has a story he can run with it that generates a lot of fan interest like Pettersson may not sign here there's more "content" than usual. Get the point?
Man you are one smug SOB......

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Seems so. Even when it has nothing to do with the question he'll paint a picture of a player who didn't have a chance to win until he came to....hmm Anaheim, and hmmmm won the cup. As far as I can recall Burke was the first GM I saw who went on the ice and raised the cup. I could be wrong, but that was teh first time I remember noticing a GM out there center stage, like look at me!! Almost, but not as bad as Willie with Bruce Allen on how fast he can ask Bruce about Michael Buble or Bryan Adams even when the conversation is about something completely different.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So if any of you are behind the paywall for Real Good Show (2 of 3 hosts are HFB alumni, and in fact @boringasheck still chimes in from time to time) they just released a great sit-down with Jason Botchford... combining the machinery of RGS and the Pat-cast is already good enough, but they also devoted a substantial chunk at the start to speaking more about the apparent perception around the league that I am a [former] Canucks employee which continues to be hilarious.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm pretty tempted to pay the 5$ to listen to that, the teaser sounds interesting.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
So if any of you are behind the paywall for Real Good Show (2 of 3 hosts are HFB alumni, and in fact @boringasheck still chimes in from time to time) they just released a great sit-down with Jason Botchford... combining the machinery of RGS and the Pat-cast is already good enough, but they also devoted a substantial chunk at the start to speaking more about the apparent perception around the league that I am a [former] Canucks employee which continues to be hilarious.

This was great. Must listen material.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I’m a little biased but it’s definitely worth it
I want a Patreon commission!

The funniest thing about that interview is the knowledge NHL execs are passing Benning on Empty around.
I am still utterly floored. I started this as a way to vent frustration and entertain like-minded fans. I didn't think it would ever go beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad