Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Going back to the previous thread, I'm 34 and have no memory of Darling being in sports media. Nice that he has a past in it, but it's been 15 years since. And presenting sports highlights like Mira did, doesn't mean you're qualified to talk about sports for 4 hours a day, ie. Jay and Dan.

I'll give the show a chance, but I doubt I'll last a week.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Looking forward to September, I can listen to something else on my morning commute. Always like Cybalski, neutral on Darling and never heard of the other girl. But certainly has to be better than Blo and Pratt right?

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
A guy I'd like to hear more of would be Farhan Lalji.
Remember when Lalji broke the story that Hamhuis was going to the Blackhawks at the TDL..it was a done deal, done like chicken. After the big debacle with the Stars and Hamhuis stayed a Canuck not a friggin peep out of Lalji. He should stay with football and stay far away from hockey.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
To me the only way those two bozos should be still working is together. Two massive egos who don't love each other. Makes for better radio than the current morning and afternoon shows. Turf Jake and Macdonald and run with Pratt and Taylor in the afternoon, maybe toss in Marjanovich because he fights with Pratt too. Run with Sekeres and Price in the am with Patterson if he agrees to stop doing the fake voice. I'd assume 1410 will be done so pick up Rome in between the local shows and put on Patric as a filler in the evening.
Sekeres and Price in the AM would kill me. That's when I most often listen. I'm not a big fan of Sekeres.

Anyone know where Jake is? Not in this week or next - at least.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Remember when Lalji broke the story that Hamhuis was going to the Blackhawks at the TDL..it was a done deal, done like chicken. After the big debacle with the Stars and Hamhuis stayed a Canuck not a friggin peep out of Lalji. He should stay with football and stay far away from hockey.

He was probably getting his info from Aaron Ward. I wouldn't be too hard on him.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Rumour going around that the new midday show on TSN radio is going to be the Kurtenbloggers. Would love for that to happen.
what would happen to Sekeres and Co? Clearly someone would be out.

They should have the Kurtenbloggers taking over the morning or afternoon show. Both are a mess.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
what would happen to Sekeres and Co? Clearly someone would be out.

They should have the Kurtenbloggers taking over the morning or afternoon show. Both are a mess.

Sekeres , price and Taylor all Confirmed to come back. Nothing for Pratt And bro jake yet.

So the rumour is the new midday show will be kurtenbkoggers? so price and sekeres will move to the morning or afternoon show. What about don Taylor then?

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Jesus was listening to Sekeres and Mclutchey today and it was awful. Both of these guys need to get adenoids out or blow their damn snouts. Nasally doesn't even begin to describe their voices.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
kurtenbkoggers are the best thing about tsn1040, huge if true

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Pratt mentioned this morning that after this week, he's off for 7 weeks. Cashing in all his vacation before he gets his walking papers?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pratt mentioned this morning that after this week, he's off for 7 weeks. Cashing in all his vacation before he gets his walking papers?

:skeptic: Off for...seven weeks? That's a hell of a long vacation. When's that new station supposed to be up and running again? Maybe he's getting ready to jump ship.

If he has all those vacation days banked then why not? Most analysts, journalists etc. following hockey take their holidays around this time because after free agent frenzy it's a slow season. I don't think it necessarily means he's gone, although who knows and who cares. Pratt will either be with TSN or switch to Sportsnet.

JA

Pratt & Taylor for the afternoon show again? :P
What made Pratt and Taylor such a successful combination is that Pratt knew how to push Taylor's buttons and motivate him to remain focused.

Pratt is passionate about sports and loves to generate discussion through controversy and narratives. There are times when his narratives may be extreme, but he does this purposely to evoke responses out of his listeners and to inspire debate. Taylor has always been more complacent -- something he once said himself in the article I cited at the end of the previous thread:
All-sports radio station may be on way: [Final Edition]
Leary, Joe. The Province; Vancouver, B.C. [Vancouver, B.C]28 July 2000: B15.

Still with the world of sports radio, the CKWX sports department has lost another key figure.

After five years of reading sports at :15 and :45 after the hour, Rick Dhaliwal has tendered his resignation and will assume the role of producer for Don Taylor's upcoming CKNW late-night sports show, in addition to being the station's assistant sports director and B.C. Lions radio host.

Dhaliwal is regarded as one of if not the hardest-working man in local sports media and despite misgivings of leaving a job he loves, the opportunity presented to him was simply too tough to pass up.

"When you get a chance to work with someone like Don Taylor, you take it," he said.

"Rick's strengths are what mine aren't," said Taylor.

"He's hard-working, I'm not. He digs for stories, I don't. And he'll make me look good while I golf all day long."

Dhaliwal's departure is the latest addition to a growing list of talented folk to have logged airtime in the 'WX sports department before moving on to bigger and better opportunities elsewhere in the market.

Among the others: BCTV sports anchor Steve Darling and Blake Price of Global TV's Sports Page.

Dhaliwal wraps up his duties next Friday, meantime Don Taylor's soon-to-be-named sports show debuts August 14 on CKNW.

Pratt knew how to light a fire within Taylor to get him talking passionately and sometimes in frustration, often about topics that matter to B.C. sports enthusiasts.

Pratt's best attribute is his ability to get his co-hosts and listeners talking, either in staunch agreement or in defiance of his opinions. His opinions tend to be more than hot takes -- they are often grounded enough to be discussed and parsed fairly. That said, his effect on any knowledgeable co-host tends to inspire discussions worthy of being listened to.

Here is an interview he did about his own life with Ian Craig Walker a few years ago when he worked for CKNW:

The idea of TSN's Off The Record can be credited to David Pratt, who suggested the concept in an attempt to adapt the idea of Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect to sports television. The idea, originally pitched with the intention that Pratt himself would host, inspired two shows: Last Call, which he hosted and which was based out of Vancouver, and Off The Record with Michael Landsberg in Toronto.

Pratt and Bro Jake are not a particularly strong combination because of Jake Edwards' more casual stance on sports, which results in an inability to extract passion out of him about sports-related topics. While he watches, understands, and researches sports well enough as part of his job to discuss them on-air for the most part, he lacks the passion and the investment to have any strong, articulate, in-depth opinions or to voice his displeasure about anything that Pratt says.

Pratt elevates knowledgeable, passionate hosts. This is why he had success with Satiar Shah most recently. The current morning show formula with Pratt and Bro Jake does not work as a dedicated sports talk program for sports enthusiasts who seek knowledge, debate, and voices of authority in the world of B.C. sports.

It does, however, work for a broader, more casual sports-viewing audience. The Bro Jake Show is more of a sports-and-entertainment crossover show than an authoritative sports debate program. One must ask whether this is 1040's preferred demographic, especially in a region full of very knowledgeable, passionate listeners.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hey all, I was trying to find an article that was posted a little while ago here on our boards. It was talking about past Canuck teams, and how our biggest mistake was not trading more 1st round picks when we were contenders to push us over the top. I want to say it was from CA, but that might be wrong. Anyone know where to find it?

Thanks in advance.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
What made Pratt and Taylor such a successful combination is that Pratt knew how to push Taylor's buttons and motivate him to remain focused.

Pratt is passionate about sports and loves to generate discussion through controversy and narratives. There are times when his narratives may be extreme, but he does this purposely to evoke responses out of his listeners and to inspire debate. Taylor has always been more complacent -- something he once said himself in the article I cited at the end of the previous thread:

Pratt knew how to light a fire within Taylor to get him talking passionately and sometimes in frustration, often about topics that matter to B.C. sports enthusiasts.

Pratt's best attribute is his ability to get his co-hosts and listeners talking, either in staunch agreement or in defiance of his opinions. His opinions tend to be more than hot takes -- they are often grounded enough to be discussed and parsed fairly. That said, his effect on any knowledgeable co-host tends to inspire discussions worthy of being listened to.

Here is an interview he did about his own life with Ian Craig Walker a few years ago when he worked for CKNW:

The idea of TSN's Off The Record can be credited to David Pratt, who suggested the concept in an attempt to adapt the idea of Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect to sports television. The idea, originally pitched with the intention that Pratt himself would host, inspired two shows: Last Call, which he hosted and which was based out of Vancouver, and Off The Record with Michael Landsberg in Toronto.

Pratt and Bro Jake are not a particularly strong combination because of Jake Edwards' more casual stance on sports, which results in an inability to extract passion out of him about sports-related topics. While he watches, understands, and researches sports well enough as part of his job to discuss them on-air for the most part, he lacks the passion and the investment to have any strong, articulate, in-depth opinions or to voice his displeasure about anything that Pratt says.

Pratt elevates knowledgeable, passionate hosts. This is why he had success with Satiar Shah most recently. The current morning show formula with Pratt and Bro Jake does not work as a dedicated sports talk program for sports enthusiasts who seek knowledge, debate, and voices of authority in the world of B.C. sports.

It does, however, work for a broader, more casual sports-viewing audience. The Bro Jake Show is more of a sports-and-entertainment crossover show than an authoritative sports debate program. One must ask whether this is 1040's preferred demographic, especially in a region full of very knowledgeable, passionate listeners.

I'm finding the afternoon show's take on food to be very informative and entertaining. I mean, debating the best chicken wings or types of hot dogs. It's just so out of the box and cutting edge. You wouldn't hear your conventional sportscasters even daring to touch such subjects. Also, from one day or another you never know what food they might talk about. It brings the listener back again and again. You also know something zany must be going on in the background too, as sometimes the producer can't even talk, and Moj is howling at things.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Praying Jake is still off for that time as well. A morning show with Sat at the helm and some revolving guest hosts would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad