Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
it's interesting hearing the different stances each show seems to be taking on the Benning re-signing; Bro Jake/Pratt seem to be supportive, while the Brough/Halford are apoplectic; Donny&Moj are trying to not sound so supportive, but its obvious they are pleased, while the Price-Sekeres show are critical and pushing for a strong rationale behind the move from the upper management. Not sure what they're saying at 650...
I believe all of them (Pratt, Donny ...) have stockholm syndrome :popcorn:

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
The 650 crew is hitting home runs again. Tonight, after the team dropped the 4-1 lead, was sensational. The exclusive contract agreements between the team and broadcasters makes it sound like Aquilini is standing behind them with a shotgun. Sounds like divorce counseling! Very entertaining. I realized polygamous relationships, like the triangle between Imac, Kenward, and Auld, could get dramatic, but the silent treatment! Wow! Everyone knows that silence makes for good radio. They don't call it "Dead Air" for nothing! Right!?

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
After so much time of Pratt guaranteeing Gudbranson would be traded, Dave has now gone on to saying he will be dealt within the next 3 years. What bold predictions! It sounds like he just needs some stance to take and run wit it. I remember anyone who said Bieksa might not be moved, in 2008 was a pinhead. Anyone who dared say Mats Messier (for Sundin) was a pinhead. Also great to hear Pratt say Gudbranson is a cool guy to hang out with. I had though Pratt stopped hanging out where the players do in his 8 ball jacket and cowboy boots.

On another note, did anyone hear Gallagher question where Gudbranson was leading the team this morning. Bro Jake was heard in the background howling like mad, then the sound of his voice suddenly cut. Was this just Jake realizing there was nothing to laugh about, or having his mic turned off because he continued to howl, or someone gave him the evil eye to say hush!?

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Great Podcast for 31 thoughts this week, a couple things I will mention in another thread, but Gilman had a great bit about Burrows.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Great article in The Athletic where Jason Brough asks Jonathan Willis (the Oilers editor) about what Vancouver can learn from Edmonton's decade of darkness.

What can the Canucks learn from the Oilers' decade of...

Key quote:
BROUGH:
Just one final question: If you could leave the Canucks with one piece of advice, taking into account all you've learned from the Oilers' travails, what would it be?

WILLIS: Well, it's too late for the main one: If your GM suddenly decides, multiple years into the job, that a rebuild is necessary, he's probably the wrong guy to carry out that rebuild.
I guess the related lesson is to have a ruthless sense of purpose. Every move should contribute directly to the long-term goal in as many ways as possible. If you look at Toronto, they committed to a veteran coach for the duration and signed a bunch of useful complementary pieces to short-term deals, with the dual goals of instilling culture but also of harvesting draft picks at the trade deadline. In Edmonton, they rotated through coaches and collected a bunch of flotsam and jetsam that had no real purpose in the short- or long-term. The Oilers' example is not one that Vancouver wants to follow.

Damn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great article in The Athletic where Jason Brough asks Jonathan Willis (the Oilers editor) about what Vancouver can learn from Edmonton's decade of darkness.

What can the Canucks learn from the Oilers' decade of...

Key quote:

Damn

It really is amazing how closely this management group and their 'plan' parallels to the Lowe/Tambellini Oilers years.

Starts with the unqualified President at the top hired because of his contribution to the GLORY DAYZ and goes right down from there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It really is amazing how closely this management group and their 'plan' parallels to the Lowe/Tambellini Oilers years.

Starts with the unqualified President at the top hired because of his contribution to the GLORY DAYZ and goes right down from there.

Well, hopefully the script continues and we get the #1 overall pick and a generational player in the next year or two. Then that player will lift the team despite the bad GM for a short period, only for the GM to be exposed soon after when he cannot surround the generational player properly. Can't wait!

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well, hopefully the script continues and we get the #1 overall pick and a generational player in the next year or two. Then that player will lift the team despite the bad GM for a short period, only for the GM to be exposed soon after when he cannot surround the generational player properly. Can't wait!

Then we trade that talent for a dman and get a different generational talent.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Steve Darling is unlistenable.
I haven't even tried listening to him once, because I assumed that would be the case. Thank you for confirming that.

Basically I can't tolerate 1040 anymore (which is too bad because I used to listen a lot) so I figured why even attempt snet's trash.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Holy F if you can listen to darling on pod cast or whatever do it he's saying the dumbest shit ever. Again.

"What do you want benning to do?!"
"Theres no draft picks available"
"We got two players for vanek"

Pathetic

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Pratt was getting made a fool by Thomlinson this morning. He called DP out on his stance that anything for Vanek would be OK. Then grilled him for saying he doesn't like the Motte trade because he knows nothing about it. The more Thomlinson commented, the more relentless Pratt got. It was classic Pratt. Could be the fol of the decade! Fret not all, I think the segment did end with a Blo Jake HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pratt was getting made a fool by Thomlinson this morning. He called DP out on his stance that anything for Vanek would be OK. Then grilled him for saying he doesn't like the Motte trade because he knows nothing about it. The more Thomlinson commented, the more relentless Pratt got. It was classic Pratt. Could be the fol of the decade! Fret not all, I think the segment did end with a Blo Jake HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
It just shows his laziness. To not do any research in the last 20 hours on motte.

member 290103

The whole 650 lineup is just a massive disappointment. 1040 is just worlds better - with the exception of the morning show and about 50% of Taylor and Moj (though Taylor is much better now that he does not have to be the good company man).

650 should call up Dan Russell. I'd actually enjoy his anti-Canuck negativity right now.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
According to Walker if the team is not playing like a dynasty and competing for the cup every year there is a certain segment of fans who take pride in being constantly negative

LOL!!

member 290103

According to Walker if the team is not playing like a dynasty and competing for the cup every year there is a certain segment of fans who take pride in being constantly negative

LOL!!

All the fans want is what the Rangers are doing, or what the Leafs' did. Trade veteran players for picks, don't sign stop gap has beens year after year. Acquire picks. Use cap space to take bad contracts for assets.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Edmonton will win the draft lottery again this year. Book it.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Well to be honest Tomlinson looks in the mirror and see's Motte staring back at him...plugs stick up for each other.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Well to be honest Tomlinson looks in the mirror and see's Motte staring back at him...plugs stick up for each other.
Yeah but Pratt yesterday was a fool. He just jumped on the bandwagon. I understand the justifiable anger by the fan base, and even the media, but Pratt himself is un listenable. Him and Bro Jake are IMHO the owrst sports show. If not for their guests of Duchy and Mackenzie and other actual TSN analysts, I can't stand him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad