Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Agreed. Botch is the only writer I read these days. I use to read Imac's work but have no time for his garbage anymore. Botchford isn't perfect but at least he tells it like it is.

And also at least Botch is entertaining.

Reactions: bobaloo88

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think I actually agreed with Pratt's side, he just isn't knowledgeable enough to win that debate with Tomlinson.
Pratt also said he knows nothing about motte, which is the basis for my laziness comment.

20 hours between shows in this hockey market and he can't bother to check the internet for anything on this guy is pure laziness.

Pratt and other just look at stats. Around the NHL, people are a buzz with how torts and vanek will get along, cause they know the typ s that torts likes and those that d I've him crazy. Vanek is in the latter group.

Style of play is important as well. Vanek is slow, so teams have to consider how to integrate him into their lineup. PP chances drop in the PO as history has shown.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I worry all this attention being given to the so called "nastiest fans" is going to take the heat off of yet another loser season by the team built by Linden and Benning. This entire situation is so much like the Lowe era in EDM and that's not a good thing.

Regardless if Vancouver fans are the nastiest or dumbest, the fact still remains that Linden and Benning are one of the worst management teams in the NHL and have built a loser hockey team. What do people expect from fans?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I know this is a bit of work, but I think many people would be interested in seeing a compilation list of local media members and where they stand in terms of this current regime.

Pro Benning
Anti-Benning
Neutral

So that when the regime is finally fired and people finally admit how awful they were, we can dump on those who praised them and give praise / more opportunities to those who called them out.

I want media that isn't afraid to call out management if they do something stupid.

The Canucks already have a PR team, the media shouldn't just be an extension of that.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I know this is a bit of work, but I think many people would be interested in seeing a compilation list of local media members and where they stand in terms of this current regime.

Pro Benning
Anti-Benning
Neutral

So that when the regime is finally fired and people finally admit how awful they were, we can dump on those who praised them and give praise / more opportunities to those who called them out.

I want media that isn't afraid to call out management if they do something stupid.

I don't follow much other than the Provies and reading the occasional sensible article, but from what I've seen:

Pro-Benning
- iMac
- Taylor
- most of the rest not named below

Anti-Benning
- JD Burke & CA (although not unfairly so)

Neutral
- Botchford
- Ferraro
- Kurtenbloggers
- recently Willes
- Gallagher
- Sekeras

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't really pay attention to Sportsnet 650, so I can't judge for what's happening there.

The only really pro-Benning guy I see out there is iMac.

The only people explicitly saying "fire Benning" (or at least, don't re-sign him) were the CanucksArmy guys.

The most critical guys are Botchford, the Kurtenbloggers, Sekeres + Price.

Everyone else, especially the Team 1040 guys, are pretty critical to some degree.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't follow much other than the Provies and reading the occasional sensible article, but from what I've seen:

Pro-Benning
- iMac
- Taylor

Anti-Benning

Neutral
- Botchford
- Ferraro
- Kurtenbloggers
- recently Willes
- Gallagher
- Sekeras

I think that's a fair list, and I will say that I also think too often people in the 'neutral' list get lumped in as anti-Benning because they have a realistic take, not a sunshine and puppy dogs everything is happy take.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Yeah the provies are must-read this morning, if only for this section.

Whether you agree or not, whether you support Benning as GM or not, it is important to understand that this is where most of us are coming from.
For sure! He also has headphones in his paper pic, so , along with his way out there nickname (Botch), and his tendency to drop as many f bombs on the Patcast as he can, he's the real zany deal.

Moj (another great nickname) was on with Gallagher today and they were complaining about how eastern media likes to tell the western markets how things really are, despite the local media being right in the centre of it. I agree wholeheartedly, but then why do media outlets here constantly bring on guests from the east to ask their opinion about Vancouver? Cue bass solo!

Last edited:

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I can't hear "the Moj" without thinking of Andrea Martin's "Mojo" character from SCTV, which leads me to Joe Flaherty's Rocko, which leads me to "crazy like a snake".

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ben Kuzma is right in there with the shills. Every column is a puff piece and has been for years. It does serve a purpose though; between him and Imac you always know exactly what Benning and Linden are thinking. And it's nice to know they follow the conversation here.

And after reading Willes' column today, all I have to say to Trev and Jimbo is MAN THE f*** UP. Your sniveling is a sign of weakness. You put together a team that's finished at or near the bottom for three solid years, and your answer to this at the TDL was to say: "We're good here. We're not going to make any effort to change the team at all or how we do business. We're content to dumpster-dive for other teams' mid-20's tweeners who haven't made any noise at the NHL level and bloat the roster and salary scale with crap. That's fine. We're fine with being a doormat."

Oh boo hoo the meanie fans on social media say we suck! Whaaaaaaa!! You can't handle it, Trev? Go drive a cab. Be grateful that you actually have fans that care despite your best efforts to drive them away with blatant lies and all the astrotufers you throw at us. Our caring is the only thing standing between you and unemployment. There's a new team that's coming to Seattle soon. The Lions have a new gm and (hopefully) a new attitude. The Whitecaps continue to make inroads. We have other outlets for our entertainment bucks, Trev. Keep your attitude up and this time in a few years, the Aquamen can watch yet another bottom-feeder team limping its way to the bottom, going through the motions in an empty arena while the fans you used to draw all watch football, soccer, and the new Seattle Whatevers.

We are what keeps your team alive. Insult us at your own risk.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Pro-Benning
- iMac
- Taylor

Anti-Benning

Neutral
- Botchford
- Ferraro
- Kurtenbloggers
- recently Willes
- Gallagher
- Sekeras
Taylor was actually being pretty critical the other day about management. I was very surprised. Part of his - win a stanley cup in my lifetime plea.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't really pay attention to Sportsnet 650, so I can't judge for what's happening there.

The only really pro-Benning guy I see out there is iMac.

The only people explicitly saying "fire Benning" (or at least, don't re-sign him) were the CanucksArmy guys.

The most critical guys are Botchford, the Kurtenbloggers, Sekeres + Price.

Everyone else, especially the Team 1040 guys, are pretty critical to some degree.

Kuzma has turned. He criticized management for not doing what they said they were going to do.

Moj and Donnie have turned as well, but it's a turn so sharp that you have to question their honesty. Moj, especially, was so invested in what Benning and co. were doing, that he always took their side in debates. It was excruciating to listen to (the few times I had). Now? It's like listening to Paterson or Sekeres... it's seamless. Just to smooth to be believed. These guys seem like they will take on the role that gets the most ratings.

Gallagher has been epic in terms of ripping management. Epic.

Ferraro has never really liked what management has done.

TSN1040 is the primary push towards an anti-Benning message. It's clear.

Satiar Shah, Bhupinder Dhaliwal, and John Jang are the neutral/anti-Benning voices at SNET650. Auld is late to the fray, but he's getting there. It's starting to turn there but they are being a lot more diplomatic about it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
"Should the nhl move to contracts where they pay a player 1 million in salary and 5 million signing bonus that doesnt count against the cap"

-steve darling

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Just have to say how much I appreciate reading Jason Botchford. The Provies is the best read in Vancouver.

He is the guy who has got our back. He is the guy who gets it and tells it like it is.

Unlike the other Vancouver media shills who never ask or bring up the hard questions. I also have time for JPat.

Give the latest Patcast episode a listen. No sweetener involved just pointing out the facts uncensored.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I knew Darling & this 650 morning crew would be a disaster, but it's pretty funny how poorly received they have been.

I simply do not understand some the radio decisions made in this city. These are basic things that people called way before they happened. It's not all negative either - I think people generally thought Rintoul/Walker would be fine, and they have been.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I remember when Steve Darling started out, doing sports stuff on TV in the 90s. I was thinking there must have been lead in the drinking water at BCIT or something, if this dope was the best candidate for the job. 20 years later he's still somehow working in media.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I knew Darling & this 650 morning crew would be a disaster, but it's pretty funny how poorly received they have been.

I simply do not understand some the radio decisions made in this city. These are basic things that people called way before they happened. It's not all negative either - I think people generally thought Rintoul/Walker would be fine, and they have been.

I rarely listen to 1040 anymore...I find Sekeres/Price to be absolutely grating ,especially Sekeres,,...He speaks as if his word is gospel,and his armchair GM'ing just exposes what a twit he is....He also sounds like Paul Lynde.

Rintoul is breath fresh air,a lot more low key,but effective discussion.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You know what gets my goat in the media. Every article is “ kole lind will help make the playoffs” or so and so is done to make the playoffs.

We need to have the media point out that the goal should always be to aim for the cup because if your aim is to make the playoffs you will st on your laurels when there.

The gudbranson signing is the perfect example of this. Resigning him brigs you closer to the playoffs ( than a draft pick would today based on development times) but gudbranson is not the. Type of 4 million dollar dman a cup winnin. Team has.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Saying Andrew Walker has been "fine" in this market is like saying that boil on your hand through which you can see the bone is "fine".

Absolutely will not listen to 650 when he is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad