Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire F Brendan Leipsic for D Philip Holm

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Yeah I could never call this a bad move. Even if leipsic is waived next season. Outside of the contract spot we have a cost controlled, rights controlled, 23 year old that we traded a UFA to be, that played one NHL game and had no future in our organization, for.

Reactions: Catbug and vanwest

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
How do you figure this is a bad move as Leipsic was not available for "free" yet Holm was signed and cost nothing so was "free"? If anything, GM JB took something from nothing and turned into what could be something but if it isn't, what is lost? How can this possibly be a bad move in hindsight if Holm was not in their long term plans? At the very worst this was nothing ventured sort of move?

I get you like to be very negative on Benning but this is the wrong trade to be crapping on.

I don't think it is that easy, I also said it totally depends on how you view Leipesic on how this trade is viewed in the "Now" as per the discussion. In that discussion, it was said there is basically 4 different kinds of trades. I think the first part of that equation all depends how you view Leipsic. I also said JB deserves credit for trying to turn something free into something. In the end this is most likely a nothing trade. However that doesn't mean we can't look at it.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Yeah I could never call this a bad move. Even if leipsic is waived next season. Outside of the contract spot we have a cost controlled, rights controlled, 23 year old that we traded a UFA to be, that played one NHL game and had no future in our organization, for.
So if Leipsic is waived and never becomes a regular NHLer and Holm goes on to play in the NHL for even 1 year you still wouldn't call it a bad move?????????
Whatever they are paying you they aren't getting their money's worth.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
So if Leipsic is waived and never becomes a regular NHLer and Holm goes on to play in the NHL for even 1 year you still wouldn't call it a bad move?????????

Then I'll say good for holm and move on. I'm good with this move and therefore won't shit on it if it goes south.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

I'd just call it a calculated risk that didn't pan out.... not necessarily a BAD move.

The head scratcher for me though is that our weakest link by far is our depth on D and at the trade deadline we lost one D and netted two forwards..... and the names that seem to come up the most in trade talks are Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson... and to a lesser extent MDZ and Edler.

Reactions: Drop the Sopel

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Then I'll say good for holm and move on. I'm good with this move and therefore won't **** on it if it goes south.
So we end up with nothing after trading away a defenceman - the weakest of our weak links- and you're okay with that?????
Now I have to assume you are pro-tank. Welcome to the realist fanbase.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So we end up with nothing after trading away a defenceman - the weakest of our weak links- and you're okay with that?????
Now I have to assume you are pro-tank. Welcome to the realist fanbase.

Not really disagreeing but our defense is weak due more to quality, not quantity. Unless Holm starts making us look bad with Vegas (and doesn't seem like this is going to happen) there's not much harm in moving him for a younger forward.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Not really disagreeing but our defense is weak due more to quality, not quantity. Unless Holm starts making us look bad with Vegas (and doesn't seem like this is going to happen) there's not much harm in moving him for a younger forward.
Who is a defensive liability and has no trade value.....I have some stuff in my garage that I will trade to you for some money.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

The trade made a lot of sense, especially since there were reports in the past that the Canucks might have been interested. At the very least, you're trading a 26 year old Dman who has spent almost the entire year in the AHL who you're not likely to bring back for a not yet 24 year old forward who has been playing in the NHL and signed for cheap.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I don't think anybody will accuse me of being paid to be a Benning apologist, but at the NHL level I don't mind this trade. That's based on my figuring the Canucks were going to lose Holm for nothing this summer if they didn't trade him, as well as posts from Utica guys on this forum that didn't see his game as it is presently being likely to translate well to the NHL.

If Holm didn't see himself in the Canucks' plans for next season (and his usage this season-one NHL game as a fill-in, isn't likely to bring hope) then at his age I'd figure he'd return to Sweden when his contract expired. The Canucks would get nothing, so getting something for him, even a lottery ticket with long odds against, is ok. We haven't seen anything to indicate that the trade value for Holm was any higher.

So if Holm goes on to a productive NHL career while Leipsic busts, then the Golden Knights have gained. I really don't think the Canucks have lost, though, other than the effects on their AHL team. The team that really lost in this trade was not a party to the trade. The Utica Comets are now without their best defenceman and have nothing in return for him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You've seen the best and worst of Leipsic in the last four games.....totally invisible in the last two....unable to demonstrate any of his neutral zone speed in the last two outings and an adventure in his own zone.....could the three NHL organizations who employed him before be right or wrong about him?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You've seen the best and worst of Leipsic in the last four games.....totally invisible in the last two....unable to demonstrate any of his neutral zone speed in the last two outings and an adventure in his own zone.....could the three NHL organizations who employed him before be right or wrong about him?
You weren't watching the same game I was. He was one of their better forwards. The Horvat line was the only thing that was good about this game and Leipsic had a lot to do with that.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
You weren't watching the same game I was. He was one of their better forwards. The Horvat line was the only thing that was good about this game and Leipsic had a lot to do with that.
You do realize that we are totally sucking ass with this current lineup????????????

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
To your first point, Holm still had value to us, it was just in trade. Think of him as a gift card that expires at the trade deadline. There is still value to be had.

On point two I think we are close. I look at a bottom six guy with value like a Richardson. Even a Kassian, someone who doesn't need to be sheltered or given opportunity. I would put Hansen or Higgins on a level above those guys. If you think Leipsic can get there, that absolutely has value. Just with where his defensive play is currently I don't think you can say that. He might be able to score in less minutes, but he probably will also get scored on a fair bit in those tougher minutes. That is why I think you have to see him as a top 6 guy or bottom six scorer.

You hit it on that Donskoi comp/paragraph. I just don't think you can say his defensive game is good enough to be considered adequate yet.

My view on him has been skewed a bit, so I think I can't give him a true fair assessment, but I do think it hinges on where you see him as if it is a good trade or not.

Obviously different styles, but yeah, Kassian is a great comparison as to the level of player I think Leipsic could be. Agreed that a Hansen or Higgins are a notch above that; if he could get there, this trade is a slam dunk win.

Not sure if I agree with the gift card analogy, simply because that's not the value they inherited; VGK will likely re-sign him, whereas the Canucks wouldn't have. They'll also get to use him as a depth option for the playoffs, while for the Canucks the season was already over. His value was in Utica, but as the Utica thread will tell you, the organization isn't exactly cognizant of the Comets' needs at the best of times, so not sure that went into their value equation.

Vegas also could have just signed him in July at no cost. Or moved a lesser player. They had all the leverage. But yeah, it comes down to IMO they just didn't identify the right defenseman. This is a wholly different conversation if we sent Biega instead. To RobertKron's point - the Canucks seemed to think he was worth something, but they also thought that of Phil Larsen and Luca Sbisa. Granlund was promoted this past year like a future core piece.

Agreed that Leipsic's defensive game isn't there just yet, but I'm not worried about that part. He's not so far off in that area - like say, Goldobin is - where no coach would let him play through it. Especially with Green's ties, Leipsic will get a lot of leeway to iron out his warts.

#3 is better than #2. #2 implies getting lucky, and that's not a viable consistent way to building a successful product.

All moves are made on the market, not on the ice, and on the market it's always possible to make at least a "neutral move at the time, good/poor move in hindsight". You should never make a poor move and hope to get lucky.

Agreed, but it's hard to say that results never trump due process. Most of the time #2 involves luck, but sometimes there are moves that sacrifice value but end up working out due to GM skill and foresight. Bold actions that don't extract full value can end up working out (Seth Jones probably could've gotten a bigger package, but Johansen has worked out just fine for Nashville and they had a logjam on D), especially over beating around the bush and trying to get an extra toss in player, resulting in no moves being made (Nonis).

Reactions: Grantham

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Obviously different styles, but yeah, Kassian is a great comparison as to the level of player I think Leipsic could be. Agreed that a Hansen or Higgins are a notch above that; if he could get there, this trade is a slam dunk win.

I overall agree, but this is where I say it depends on your current valuation of him depends on the first part. That sentence doesn't sound right. However I will you use the two best examples we have given each other here. Do you see him as a Kassian in the future or a Vey? I can make arguments both ways. He is very talented, but he is not very good defensively.

Not sure if I agree with the gift card analogy, simply because that's not the value they inherited; VGK will likely re-sign him, whereas the Canucks wouldn't have. They'll also get to use him as a depth option for the playoffs, while for the Canucks the season was already over. His value was in Utica, but as the Utica thread will tell you, the organization isn't exactly cognizant of the Comets' needs at the best of times, so not sure that went into their value equation.

For the gift card it doesn't matter what the Preds do with it. I mean in the real world, someone had to pay for that gift card in the first place. All that matters is Holm had Value for us in trade for a short window. After that he was worthless.

Agreed that Leipsic's defensive game isn't there just yet, but I'm not worried about that part. He's not so far off in that area - like say, Goldobin is - where no coach would let him play through it. Especially with Green's ties, Leipsic will get a lot of leeway to iron out his warts.

This is a fair evaluation. It probably goes back to the first part though, how you view him colours if you think this is a good trade NOW or not. Overall I think in the now it probably was a good trade. I do think in the Now though it totally depends on how you view Leipsic.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The only part of this trade I was uphappy with is that we never gave Holm a shot, and decided to play garbage players like Gudbranson and Pouliot and vets like Biega (who’s fine but we know what we have in him) ahead of him. I thought he looked decent in his first and only game with us.

Reactions: Grantham and MS

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Who is a defensive liability and has no trade value.....I have some stuff in my garage that I will trade to you for some money.

The point is Holm wasn't a guy who likely wasn't going to improve our woeful defence situation by being here nor was he valuable enough to be used in a trade to acquire someone to help improve it.

I'd say trade was more about Vegas helping out a guy they liked but weren't planning on using. Find a team that wanted and could play him and just ask for a warm body for the farm in return. And with the forward injuries we do have room to play Leipesic right now.

I doubt we actually shopped or anyone specifically came looking for Holm, which makes it different from the Vanek trade.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
has anyone done any analysis of why vegas dumped this guy for a pending ufa ahl guy who is almost sure to go back to sweden? vegas is still ten deep in proven nhl dmen with reinhart in the 11th spot. they sent holm straight to chicago.

leipsic was the consensus best player left unprotected by the leafs last year for expansion. i understand he has not fit in with vegas, but given the roster limit expansion you'd think they'd keep him around as a cheap spare part.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
has anyone done any analysis of why vegas dumped this guy for a pending ufa ahl guy who is almost sure to go back to sweden? vegas is still ten deep in proven nhl dmen with reinhart in the 11th spot. they sent holm straight to chicago.

leipsic was the consensus best player left unprotected by the leafs last year for expansion. i understand he has not fit in with vegas, but given the roster limit expansion you'd think they'd keep him around as a cheap spare part.
Possibly because the management team in Vegas is better at evaluating talent......Vegas 4th overall....Vancouver 28th.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

My guess would be a move just for the Chicago Wolves late season drive and playoffs. I personally dont see the hype with Leipsic despite the couple points he quickly got here

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

It would be like the Shinkaruk/Granlund trade - no one gives a shit about that trade anymore, well opposed from a few people still whining over it. Highly doubt Flames fans sure are complaining they lost Granlund, who is playing in the NHL over Shinkaruk.

This is the same situation - I really wouldn't give a f*** because I don't think Holm becomes much and him theoretically playing one more season than Leipsic would not bother me one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad