Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire F Brendan Leipsic for D Philip Holm

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sorry joe I totally missed your reply for some reason:

I see him as a Kassian, possibly plus. Can't say I've watched more than a few minutes of any game since he's been acquired tbh, but from what I know of this player, he doesn't have the same fault that prevented Vey from being a player. Leipsic actually goes to the dirty areas of the ice where offense is generated from. Vey had the Jordan Schroeder syndrome where he seemed essentially allergic to going to the middle of the ice, which makes it difficult for a center without blinding transition speed to generate offense. As a winger, Leipsic automatically doesn't have the problem to the same extent, but also has much more of a willingness to take a hit to make a play.

Haha, we're stretching the analogy now, but we did get the "gift card" for "free". Of course there's the opportunity cost and the value of it still, but it doesn't change that the "expiration" of the asset applies to us differently than other parties, and we were never really planning to go to that store anyways. I think the better analogy is we had a nickel that we were going to misplace anyways, but gave it to a buddy who needed to use a pay phone and was five cents short. In return, he gave us a 2 for 1 coupon at A&W, which is only worth anything because it's where we're now going for lunch. :laugh:

Yeah, if I said otherwise I'll concede that the value of Leipsic plays a big part. It isn't just "Holm was "free", has no/negative value, we got something for him, big win!"

I agree with your offense take on him, I do just wonder about his defense and if it will improve. That is my biggest worry.

Sounds like we now mostly agree, and all that is left is to grab some A&W Lunch together... I am getting the teen Combo.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
hey now, just because you have a community college education and others don't is no reason to be rude.

i mean a lot of very smart people didn't ever go to community college. nearly all of them, actually.
When your measuring stick is CanucksCorner everyone will appear smart.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
we're talking about an expansion draft choice vegas made. you are describing vegas as better than the canucks at evaluating talent. i cannot think of a more directly relevant way to test your adherence to that proposition than to ask your view of the expansion draft choice vegas made from the canucks.
@pgj98m3: I would trust a bird to fly more than a turtle.

krutovsdonut: Aha, ostriches are birds, so you must think ostriches can fly! But they can’t, and that means you’re wrong about everything.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Again, 3 weeks late to the party here, but here were my thoughts and still are my thoughts.

I think this deal has the potential to be excellent for Vancouver. While Leipsic will likely never be the 'alpha' of a line, I think the guy has the potential to be dangerous if he's playing with an 'alpha' by his side (think Milan Hedjuk and Valeri Kamensky in Colorado from yester-year). Leipsic has a good game. He skates extremely well, battles extremely hard for the puck, and has a swagger about him. I've liked the chemistry that I've seen with him and Virtanen at times. Will be interesting to see how he performs next year when games mean something again.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
When your measuring stick is CanucksCorner everyone will appear smart.

Strangelove and Island Nucklehead are smart hockey dudes (although Nucklehead is a ****ing *****). Topper is also fairly knowledgeable, and Hockey Widow has some inside contacts. One more thing about @Strangelove - he's probably the most knowledgeable Canucks poster on the internet. The guy is a genius and he has tremendous knowledge in other areas of life as well. I kid you not.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Strangelove and Island Nucklehead are smart hockey dudes (although Nucklehead is a ****ing *****). Topper is also fairly knowledgeable, and Hockey Widow has some inside contacts. One more thing about @Strangelove - he's probably the most knowledgeable Canucks poster on the internet. The guy is a genius and he has tremendous knowledge in other areas of life as well. I kid you not.

Shame none of that came through in his brief time here. Guy could have made an effort to engage is some honest debate but instead chose to post trollish drivel.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah, maybe he is knowledgeable, but it sure as hell didn't come across here. If he is so smart he should have showed it. All I saw was dumb post after dumb post. The type of thing that has driven some great posters away from here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yeah, maybe he is knowledgeable, but it sure as hell didn't come across here. If he is so smart he should have showed it. All I saw was dumb post after dumb post. The type of thing that has driven some great posters away from here.

I'm not sure about his recent history here, but trust me when I say that Strangelove would annihilate *anyone* in hockey debate and politics. I have absolutely no reason to defend the guy either. Anyway - I don't want to go too off topic here. I won't comment further.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm not sure about his recent history here, but trust me when I say that Strangelove would annihilate *anyone* in hockey debate and politics. I have absolutely no reason to defend the guy either. Anyway - I don't want to go too off topic here. I won't comment further.

Well he lost to every poster here with very little effort put in by most other posters... so yeah. There were other posters that take the same side as him who have posted much better arguments. It was complete and under failure. So much so that I think any poster that thought he made good points is probably not very smart. IF he actually was a good poster, I would have liked to hear his arguments. But it was a complete and UTTER FAILURE.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A trained monkey wearing a " I :heart: Benning" t-shirt, with "Benning is a genius, just wait and see!" macro'd to every key on its keyboard would pass for genius on several web sites.

Reactions: Jack Burton

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Sorry, someone thinks that Strangelove is knowledgeable and has some ability to debate hockey? Really? It sure as hell can't be based on his visit here. Because going by his conduct on hf, he's just another random trollish dick who lacks any interest or ability to engage in serious point-for-point debate.

But then I look and see where this sparkling character reference comes from, and it all makes sense.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Sorry, someone thinks that Strangelove is knowledgeable and has some ability to debate hockey? Really? It sure as hell can't be based on his visit here. Because going by his conduct on hf, he's just another random trollish dick who lacks any interest or ability to engage in serious point-for-point debate.

But then I look and see where this sparkling character reference comes from, and it all makes sense.
The mouth/mouse that roared again.

Reactions: coldsteel79

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Well he lost to every poster here with very little effort put in by most other posters... so yeah. There were other posters that take the same side as him who have posted much better arguments. It was complete and under failure. So much so that I think any poster that thought he made good points is probably not very smart. IF he actually was a good poster, I would have liked to hear his arguments. But it was a complete and UTTER FAILURE.
If anybody thinks honest debate happens on this site they’re delusional. Anybody with a differing opinion gets shouted down, and hyperbole reigns supreme

Reactions: VancouverJagger

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If anybody thinks honest debate happens on this site they’re delusional. Anybody with a differing opinion gets shouted down, and hyperbole reigns supreme

Not people who can reasonably defend their views.

People who give shit arguments get shouted down, and rightly so.

It’s message board Darwinism for weak opinions.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't find that at all.

If you come with weak arguments and aren't prepared to back them up with hard logic then yeah, you'll get piled onto. I find that applies to anywhere on this site, not just this little corner of it.

You have a different opinion? Back it up. Give us reasons, and be prepared to answer criticism.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

He thinks the Canucks are in a rebuild and that Jim Benning has done a good job. That tells me your post is wrong.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Honest debate happens all the time on this board. But like others have mention, the posters on this board do not tolerate weak, stupid opinions that aren’t backed up by anything factual. If you bring facts to the table and support a well thought out argument, and some disagree then there is good dialogue. This does not exist from the pro-Benning side because there are really no valid reasons to support the Linden-Benning regime. At least unless you hate the organization and want to see the organization in the dumpster, then you might like this regime.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Honest debate happens all the time on this board. But like others have mention, the posters on this board do not tolerate weak, stupid opinions that aren’t backed up by anything factual. If you bring facts to the table and support a well thought out argument, and some disagree then there is good dialogue. This does not exist from the pro-Benning side because there are really no valid reasons to support the Linden-Benning regime. At least unless you hate the organization and want to see the organization in the dumpster, then you might like this regime.

So there is no honest debate then because you're close-minded?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
When opinions aren’t rooted in evidence, and particularly when they rely on circular arguments like “This guy’s a GM so I’m sure he knows better than you”, it’s not “closed-minded” to reject them, it’s basically part of the scientific method. To start from the idea that all views are equally valid is an example of the golden mean fallacy.

For example, taking Alek Stojanov 7th overall because he once fought Eric Lindros in the OHL is pretty awful decision-making, and deserves to be questioned.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
When opinions aren’t rooted in evidence, and particularly when they rely on circular arguments like “This guy’s a GM so I’m sure he knows better than you”, it’s not “closed-minded” to reject them, it’s basically part of the scientific method. To start from the idea that all views are equally valid is an example of the golden mean fallacy.

For example, taking Alek Stojanov 7th overall because he once fought Eric Lindros in the OHL is pretty awful decision-making, and deserves to be questioned.

Except he wasn’t drafted solely because he fought and beat Lindros. At that time there was a premium on big guys who could score, battle for position in front of the net with behemoth defencemen, and beat up Eric Lindros. Stojanov might have done all this if it wasn’t for some serious injuries. Turns out we should have picked Tkachuk (x2)... but I put that more on the Antoski pick.

The thing is, there’s more sides to these arguments than many here will admit

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Except he wasn’t drafted solely because he fought and beat Lindros. At that time there was a premium on big guys who could score, battle for position in front of the net with behemoth defencemen, and beat up Eric Lindros. Stojanov might have done all this if it wasn’t for some serious injuries. Turns out we should have picked Tkachuk (x2)... but I put that more on the Antoski pick.

The thing is, there’s more sides to these arguments than many here will admit

There are and those that can make those arguments cogently have never been stopped from doing so. On the other hand there’s been many arguments made on the basis of flawed or deceptive premises and those are the ones that (rightly so) get “ganged up on”.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I'm not closed minded. But to date no one has presented a pro-Benning argument with facts that supports their argument. So, given the length of time I'm convinced that such an argument does not exist. Plus, looking at it from my side, all the facts really support why Linden and Benning should be fired. But hey, if you have a factual based argument that supports Benning let's hear it.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I'm not closed minded. But to date no one has presented a pro-Benning argument with facts that supports their argument. So, given the length of time I'm convinced that such an argument does not exist. Plus, looking at it from my side, all the facts really support why Linden and Benning should be fired. But hey, if you have a factual based argument that supports Benning let's hear it.

You along with the other Haters on this thread have shown ZERO ability to be objective. One of the reasons I would not even bother trying to explain why some of us actually don't mind Benning........

We could easily come up with a dozen reasons to be pro Benning but you would find a way to refute every single one of them. Zero ability to give any credit where credit is due really affects your and the rest of the Haters credibility.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad