Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire F Brendan Leipsic for D Philip Holm

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
It would be like the Shinkaruk/Granlund trade - no one gives a **** about that trade anymore, well opposed from a few people still whining over it. Highly doubt Flames fans sure are complaining they lost Granlund, who is playing in the NHL over Shinkaruk.

This is the same situation - I really wouldn't give a **** because I don't think Holm becomes much and him theoretically playing one more season than Leipsic would not bother me one bit.
And it was the "best" of our TDL deals.....sad, just sad.

Reactions: pomorick

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Who was expecting him to be??????????????

I was expecting him to be. There’s absolutely no reason why we couldn’t trade a careen 1 nhl game light on his feet d man for either one player or a package of players who will lead us to the presidents trophy this season.

No reason why we can’t.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My guess would be a move just for the Chicago Wolves late season drive and playoffs. I personally dont see the hype with Leipsic despite the couple points he quickly got here

You mean another NHL that made a deal at the NHL TDL just to mprove the chances for their AHL team? Who woulda ever thunk it?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I was expecting him to be. There’s absolutely no reason why we couldn’t trade a careen 1 nhl game light on his feet d man for either one player or a package of players who will lead us to the presidents trophy this season.

No reason why we can’t.
Good point.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Wow that is some leap there son.

we're talking about an expansion draft choice vegas made. you are describing vegas as better than the canucks at evaluating talent. i cannot think of a more directly relevant way to test your adherence to that proposition than to ask your view of the expansion draft choice vegas made from the canucks.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
we're talking about an expansion draft choice vegas made. you are describing vegas as better than the canucks at evaluating talent. i cannot think of a more directly relevant way to test your adherence to that proposition than to ask your view of the expansion draft choice vegas made from the canucks.
Given what they had to chose from please tell me who would have been better......I suppose you could argue that Biega might have been a better choice. We had assembled a pile of crap.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You mean another NHL that made a deal at the NHL TDL just to mprove the chances for their AHL team? Who woulda ever thunk it?

maybe. leipsic is a ppg ahl guy though so they could have sent him down to help. i guess they may have felt he would not clear and it was worth trading a guy who would not clear for a guy who was there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
maybe. leipsic is a ppg ahl guy though so they could have sent him down to help. i guess they may have felt he would not clear and it was worth trading a guy who would not clear for a guy who was there.

I think they are trying to find out if he can play at NHL level consistently. They know he can play at NHL level. I don't mind they are evaluating him, sucks for Utica but it is good for the Canucks. This was a decent trade for the Canucks, if there is one thing we have in overabundance it is #6 Dmen.

I don't consider this a deadline deal though. IMHO it was more a prospect swap that happened around the deadline (see Baertschi/Granlund). Vanek, Gudbranson, MDZ, and even names like Sedin Sedin Edler and even Tanev would have been deadline deals. We had a abysmal deadline for a tank and trade rebuild team.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Do you realize how much that makes no sense?

I am talking about the teams that literally made deals and the players acquired were specifically for their AHL teams. Then you you go and make up this "well maybe" er "I guess" They might have been" BS

If you make an AHL deal you make an AHL deal. Leipsic was a deal for another reclamation project.

Motte will be sent to the AHL because they can save him from being waiver eligible if they either demote him soon enough or don't use up the # of games he has left before their season ends. Then he goes to Utica and next season when camp ends, he can be sent to Utica without a waiver issue and becomes one of Benning's stashed Canucks call-ups.

Having lost Corrrado and Cracknell to waivers, he realized he doesn't know how to deal with the waiver wire so now he has planned for how to get the player to the minors so he can keep rotating them around and by the end of the season he can bring them up and just hold onto them because there is no maximum roster number to deal with.

If they are ineligible for the AHL playoffs that's an "Oh well, too bad, but that's not my worry."

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry joe I totally missed your reply for some reason:

I overall agree, but this is where I say it depends on your current valuation of him depends on the first part. That sentence doesn't sound right. However I will you use the two best examples we have given each other here. Do you see him as a Kassian in the future or a Vey? I can make arguments both ways. He is very talented, but he is not very good defensively.

I see him as a Kassian, possibly plus. Can't say I've watched more than a few minutes of any game since he's been acquired tbh, but from what I know of this player, he doesn't have the same fault that prevented Vey from being a player. Leipsic actually goes to the dirty areas of the ice where offense is generated from. Vey had the Jordan Schroeder syndrome where he seemed essentially allergic to going to the middle of the ice, which makes it difficult for a center without blinding transition speed to generate offense. As a winger, Leipsic automatically doesn't have the problem to the same extent, but also has much more of a willingness to take a hit to make a play.

For the gift card it doesn't matter what the Preds do with it. I mean in the real world, someone had to pay for that gift card in the first place. All that matters is Holm had Value for us in trade for a short window. After that he was worthless.

Haha, we're stretching the analogy now, but we did get the "gift card" for "free". Of course there's the opportunity cost and the value of it still, but it doesn't change that the "expiration" of the asset applies to us differently than other parties, and we were never really planning to go to that store anyways. I think the better analogy is we had a nickel that we were going to misplace anyways, but gave it to a buddy who needed to use a pay phone and was five cents short. In return, he gave us a 2 for 1 coupon at A&W, which is only worth anything because it's where we're now going for lunch. :laugh:

This is a fair evaluation. It probably goes back to the first part though, how you view him colours if you think this is a good trade NOW or not. Overall I think in the now it probably was a good trade. I do think in the Now though it totally depends on how you view Leipsic.

Yeah, if I said otherwise I'll concede that the value of Leipsic plays a big part. It isn't just "Holm was "free", has no/negative value, we got something for him, big win!"

Reactions: racerjoe

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Do you realize how much that makes no sense?

I am talking about the teams that literally made deals and the players acquired were specifically for their AHL teams. Then you you go and make up this "well maybe" er "I guess" They might have been" BS."

yeah, no, and also uncalled for if you read my original posts.

this is not an ahl trade. leipsic was on an nhl roster and needed waivers to go down.

it may be a trade initiated to improve the ahl team, but you don't know that. it could also be a trade initiated simply to get leipsic off the nhl roster without waiving him and possibly losing him for nothing. it might even have been a trade made on the basis holm has nhl upside they don't see in leipsic. we do not know.

so we are both speculating here. my original post was also simply a question about why this was happening rather than an opinion. i'd therefore appreciate being permitted to have the luxury of an opinion that amounts to "you might be right" without you stomping all over it for no reason.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012

this is not an ahl trade. leipsic was on an nhl roster and needed waivers to go down.

it may be a trade initiated to improve the ahl team, but you don't know that. it could also be a trade initiated simply to get leipsic off the nhl roster without waiving him and possibly losing him for nothing. it might even have been a trade made on the basis holm has nhl upside they don't see in leipsic. we do not know.

so we are both speculating here. my original post was also simply a question about why this was happening rather than an opinion. i'd therefore appreciate being permitted to have the luxury of an opinion that amounts to "you might be right" without you stomping all over it for no reason.
I think we need to burn some incense and sing Kumbaya to soothe the injured egos here.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I just don't know where you are going with this and it's not in the direction that Suunvale and I were talking about. I was referring to the fact that Vegas made the deal for HOLM for the specific purpose of helping their AHL franchise. He was immediately assigned to Chicago. Jersey, Montreal, and especially Arizona, just to mention some, are NHL teams who have recently made trades to help their AHL teams.

The Leipsic trade sent away the PP QB in Utica, as the Subban trade earlier in the year had also done. Both deals brought back two more Benning reclamation projects with no intention of acquiring a player back for the Comets. Leipscic has been a regular in the Canucks lineup since the trade was made. If you go back through this thread, the TDL day threads, and the GDTs of the first couple games he played, you will see the posters already penciling him into next yea'r lineup. Benning has never traded away a Comet and received an AHL player back in return. Henning did, but in the 3 years since Henning has been gone it has not happened.

That is the issue Sunnyvale and I were joking about and you pop in with this defense mode BS that had nothing to do with our conversation and then get all ticked off because I called you on it.

Sorry, if you were hurt, but your response had nothing to do with our little joke.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I just don't know where you are going with this and it's not in the direction that Suunvale and I were talking about. I was referring to the fact that Vegas made the deal for HOLM for the specific purpose of helping their AHL franchise. He was immediately assigned to Chicago. Jersey, Montreal, and especially Arizona, just to mention some, are NHL teams who have recently made trades to help their AHL teams.

The Leipsic trade sent away the PP QB in Utica, as the Subban trade earlier in the year had also done. Both deals brought back two more Benning reclamation projects with no intention of acquiring a player back for the Comets. Leipscic has been a regular in the Canucks lineup since the trade was made. If you go back through this thread, the TDL day threads, and the GDTs of the first couple games he played, you will see the posters already penciling him into next yea'r lineup. Benning has never traded away a Comet and received an AHL player back in return. Henning did, but in the 3 years since Henning has been gone it has not happened.

That is the issue Sunnyvale and I were joking about and you pop in with this defense mode BS that had nothing to do with our conversation and then get all ticked off because I called you on it.

Sorry, if you were hurt, but your response had nothing to do with our little joke.

maybe you didn't notice but i started the conversation. sunnyvale answered it. you answered him. i answered the end of the chain. it's not a private conversation. maybe use pm's next time.

the leipsic trade was either a move for holm or a move to get rid of leipsic. i have no dog in the hunt either way. i was curious so i asked people. nothing i have said is defensive because i don't have a view to defend.

mcphee has made zero statements i can find about why he made the trade. here are a couple of post-deadline quotes from mcphee about the tdl generally that suggest leipsic (who played 44 games and was on the nhl roster at the time) was not exactly valued.

“I wasn’t at all interested in trading any of our players,” McPhee said. “This team deserves to be together and we kept them together for a reason. We are trying to win right now.”

“Based on the way they’ve played we didn’t want to dismantle (the team),” McPhee said. “We didn’t want to take anyone out.”

Analysis: McPhee's deadline trades show his confidence in Golden Knights

whatever else i'd say leipsic's feeling should be hurt.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->