Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire F Brendan Leipsic for D Philip Holm

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
2 border line NHL'ers. I think Vegas wins this one though, they need to stockpile D depth for a playoff run, and mid to smaller wingers aren't going to survive the grind.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
That was really fast to give up on Holm. I wonder what Vegas sees in him.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
But why?

You know whenever the Canucks ship out a dman he’s probably good.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
On the positive side or doesn't cost a pick.

On the negative side I think this impacts or continues to impact the Canucks as a destination for any Europeans coming over to try and make the NHL.

bhar

Apr 14, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Don't get the hate on this trade. Leipsic just turning 24 this year, showed he can score a PPG in the AHL, and a Left Wing to replace Vanek obviously when he moves. What was Holm going to do for us in the new few years?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I liked Leipsic in junior. Skilled guy who was also a real shit disturber. That part of his game has disappeared in pro, though.

I don't hate this trade although it was not smart to not give Holm a longer look up here to see what we had in him. I don't have a good feel on what we're giving up.

Also do not like that we're continuing the Willie D thing of acquiring junior coach-pets to get special treatment.

Do like that at least this makes our bottom-6 a bit quicker.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Holy jeez, how many bottom-6 forwards do we need?

Sutter
Archibald
Virtanen
Gaunce
Eriksson
Gagner
Granlund
Dowd
And now Leipsic

For ****s sake, take the damn draft pick.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
In a vacuum, this isn't a bad deal. And thank god we didn't give up a pick.

Leipsic's probably the best 23 year old this regime has picked up.

I just think we could've handled Holm better, I would have rather taken a pick and I really don't want to see how Green uses him.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I guess it's fine. Neither player has much upside at the NHL level. Leipsic is cheap and still a RFA at the send of next season.

Not good news for Goldobin. Green will certainly prefer Leipsic over Goldy.

Utica loses another waiver exempt defenceman.

Would have preferred to get a pick for Holm now, or hang onto him and make a deal in the offseason. He's still a RFA.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think @MS captured this trade in a nutshell well. I like that Leipsic can drive possession and be a bit of a pain in the rear. My only gripe with this is that we didn't give Holm a longer look, but given how this season was playing out, he was probably bolting at the end of the year anyway.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Garbage in, garbage out. I don't see a point to this trade... but that's the LinBenning legacy.

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
I liked Leipsic in junior. Skilled guy who was also a real **** disturber. That part of his game has disappeared in pro, though.

I don't hate this trade although it was not smart to not give Holm a longer look up here to see what we had in him. I don't have a good feel on what we're giving up.

Also do not like that we're continuing the Willie D thing of acquiring junior coach-pets to get special treatment.

Do like that at least this makes our bottom-6 a bit quicker.

Yeah, that's the thing that worries me the most.

I don't hate this deal, but it was stupid not to see what Holm could legitimately do in the NHL, given the type of season he was having in the A. Shortsighted at best.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Don’t mind it cause I don’t think Holm is an NHL regular.

Dislike it cause the shutout on acquiring draft picks instead of fringe NHLers in the 22-24 age range continues.

Jim Benning clearly hates draft picks.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Softest team in the NHL gets softer.

Weakest team in the NHL gets weaker.

Team with no pushback has less pushback than yesterday.

Take any of those headlines for this terrible stupid awful pointless deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad