Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Way too many people refer to Andrey Pedan as "an ECHL defenseman". When you look at the stats you will find that in the last three seasons Pedan has played a total of 74 games in the AHL and only 7 in the ECHL. Of the 7 ECHL game 2 were early this season and 5 were last year and I believe the Islanders used these assignments to get him more ice after injuries.

When the trade for Pedan included a future third round pick many Vancouver fans over reacted negatively when seeing that Pedan had played in the ECHL the past two seasons without knowing anything about him other than he can fight.

Well said. I think you'll find that he'll continue to be labeled by some as an ECHL level player when he was acquired. There's an agenda there, I think.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I would love for someone with his skill set to work out. I am SO happy about Benning's comments. Every team is looking for that hulking offensive defenseman and wants to burn his natural traits to try and get it.

I really respect a big guy who can move and fight and deliver competent defense. Maybe some day he makes a nice puck moving dman at the NHL level.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's interesting, because management has taken some heat from fans for trying to pigeon hole this guy into being something he's not - and that they're doing him a major disservice in doing so. Yet I can't think of the last Canuck prospect that has seen this type of growth in such a short period of time at the AHL level. They turned an 'ECHL defenseman' into what sounds like a #1 defenseman at the AHL level - in 3 months.

I was definitely optimistic about the deal after hearing what Islander fans thought about Pedan. But am definitely surprised just how quickly his stock has risen. Don't even know if I would move this guy for a late 1st Rd pick...

If Pedans development curve doesn't slow down at some point soon, this could be one of those deals that haunts the Islanders for a very long time. Guys this tough, that have this kind of upside just don't come around very often. Toughest player in the organization by a country mile.

It's really interesting seeing how this is progressing.

The most encouraging thing for me, is that when you hear Benning and Co. talk about it...it's clear that there's a "plan" there. It's not throwing **** at the wall and see what sticks, it's, "we did this in Boston and it worked well", and applying that to a guy a scout at heart has identified as possessing fitting attributes to repeat that process here.

There's a real "plan", not just throwing around moneypuck ideas and hoping to get lucky. I guess that's what you get in a guy with strong scouting and management pedigree. Whereas negotiating contracts and even trades for "maximum value" may not be the strong suit...this kind of thing seems to be. And i'm okay with that, so long as we eventually start seeing some real results percolate through to the NHL level with these "projects".

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
It's really interesting seeing how this is progressing.

The most encouraging thing for me, is that when you hear Benning and Co. talk about it...it's clear that there's a "plan" there. It's not throwing **** at the wall and see what sticks, it's, "we did this in Boston and it worked well", and applying that to a guy a scout at heart has identified as possessing fitting attributes to repeat that process here.

There's a real "plan", not just throwing around moneypuck ideas and hoping to get lucky. I guess that's what you get in a guy with strong scouting and management pedigree. Whereas negotiating contracts and even trades for "maximum value" may not be the strong suit...this kind of thing seems to be. And i'm okay with that, so long as we eventually start seeing some real results percolate through to the NHL level with these "projects".

Exactly, you don't need to 'win' every trade by a landslide. The piece you acquire has to fit the overall plan (ie roster, team chemistry)

Pretty excited about Pedan from the limited videos I've seen him in. Heavy slapshot, tough as nails and can skate with anyone. Hopefully we see him called up next season. He currently has similar point totals as Beiga, and Beiga is 6-7 years older. Last time Beiga was called up, it was pretty successful.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Really excited about this player, like barely contained levels of fanatical enthusiasm. Impatient even, maybe. Any outside chance we see him get a look with the big club this season? Didn't he play a few games for the Islanders at some point, so has NHL experience already?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Exactly, you don't need to 'win' every trade by a landslide. The piece you acquire has to fit the overall plan (ie roster, team chemistry)

Pretty excited about Pedan from the limited videos I've seen him in. Heavy slapshot, tough as nails and can skate with anyone. Hopefully we see him called up next season. He currently has similar point totals as Beiga, and Beiga is 6-7 years older. Last time Beiga was called up, it was pretty successful.

Solid point. I mean by all accounts we "won" the Booth trade based on the crap we gave up but that didn't mean a ton when he was sucking up $4.5M and providing very little value on the ice. Rather pay a higher price and get a useful piece than constantly scour the bargain bins on a shoe string budget. That's where Benning's scouting eye needs to be excellent though, as mistakes will be more costly when they are (inevitably) made.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
From what I read, sounds like a Mattias Ohlund type skill set if he pans out. No expectations though.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Solid point. I mean by all accounts we "won" the Booth trade based on the crap we gave up but that didn't mean a ton when he was sucking up $4.5M and providing very little value on the ice. Rather pay a higher price and get a useful piece than constantly scour the bargain bins on a shoe string budget. That's where Benning's scouting eye needs to be excellent though, as mistakes will be more costly when they are (inevitably) made.

What I like about Benning is he targets someone he really wants and is willing to pay a bit more than the competition to acquire it, such as Baertschi, Vey, Dorsett and Miller. Whether the younger guys will turn out is another story, but at least he's not just looking for band-aids to patch this team up. he is literally building the team up from scratch with young guns who can be impactful for the Canucks future.

I am high on Baertschi and so was everyone on Hfboards 1 year ago.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I miss Mattias Ohlund, would be thrilled if he turns out anywhere near that level. That he can throw bombs apparently is just an added bonus.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Really excited about this player, like barely contained levels of fanatical enthusiasm. Impatient even, maybe. Any outside chance we see him get a look with the big club this season? Didn't he play a few games for the Islanders at some point, so has NHL experience already?

No Pedan has never played a NHL game. I would not expect him to get a look this year with the Nucks in the middle of a playoff drive. Plus Vancouver is currently carrying 9 defensemen so I expect someone to be sent down soon - not called up.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
What I like about Benning is he targets someone he really wants and is willing to pay a bit more than the competition to acquire it, such as Baertschi, Vey, Dorsett and Miller. Whether the younger guys will turn out is another story, but at least he's not just looking for band-aids to patch this team up. he is literally building the team up from scratch with young guns who can be impactful for the Canucks future.

Which team on the west coast was willing to pay Miller anywhere close to $6 million?

Kings? Not a chance
Sharks? Not a chance
Ducks? Not a chance (they wanted us to take a salary dump in Sbisa because they operate under a smaller internal cap budget)

And Miller is a band-aid (he's less than a year younger than Roberto Luongo)

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Which team on the west coast was willing to pay Miller anywhere close to $6 million?

Kings? Not a chance
Sharks? Not a chance
Ducks? Not a chance (they wanted us to take a salary dump in Sbisa because they operate under a smaller internal cap budget)

Well teams wouldn't pay 6mil for him that's why he's a Canuck. But if a team like San Jose or Dallas was willing to pay him 5 mil than we would of had to beat it since this was the player Benning was targeting. He got his guy, over paid a million bucks. If that's your biggest gripe than his time here has been pretty successful thus far.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Kings? Not a chance
Sharks? Not a chance

Miller wanted to be close to his wife who is in LA and none of the teams close to LA wants him so not sure why we need to outbid nobody for his service.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
But if a team like San Jose or Dallas was willing to pay him 5 mil than we would of had to beat it since this was the player Benning was targeting. He got his guy, over paid a million bucks. If that's your biggest gripe than his time here has been pretty successful thus far.

Why would the Sharks make any offer for Miller (though they might now :laugh:) then when they had Neimi under contract already? Why would Dallas with a respectable goalie already under a long-term contract?

As to him being "successful"....he hasn't even a full year under his belt - far, far too early to say he's been a success or failure.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I miss Mattias Ohlund, would be thrilled if he turns out anywhere near that level. That he can throw bombs apparently is just an added bonus.

Completely different type of D so i don't know how you expect him to reach Ohlund level. Pedan is more physical than any 'nuck Dman i can remember. We had Dmans as big as hm but never with the same type of mean streak.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Miller wanted to be close to his wife who is in LA and none of the teams close to LA wants him so not sure why we need to outbid nobody for his service.

Well we had to outbid somebody for his services we weren't the only team in on him. Benning over paid by a million but got his guy. Benning coming into the team as a new GM can't rely on a rookie starting goalie who broke down the previous year under a high volume of games played. So he went out a got somebody who he could make the playoffs with which were his order from ownership. We over paid a million e everybody needs to get over this.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
*sigh* :shakehead

It's sad that you can't really discuss what Benning is doing with a guy like Pedan, without it coming back to that for some people.

Agreed. There's a faction of fans who prefer a GM who grinds on contracts and shaves a mill off of a placeholder goalie contract. Then there are those that prefer a GM with an eye for identifying and developing talent. The former can't get past that this is not Benning's MO or even his strength while the latter are (more) willing to excuse a perceived 'overpayment' if it acquires a piece this team badly needs.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

1 band-aid, but everyone else he signed/traded for was under 30.

The point of my post wasn't about Miller, but about Benning's work up to this point-particularly what he's done with the youth. He overpaid a bit for Pedan (as most here want to believe at the time), but when Benning wants 'his' guy, whether it be a young prospect with a future like Pedan, Baertschi or a veteran (like Miller), he will target him. The point is that he doesn't scrape the bargain bin or throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks.

Benning scouts, does his homework and feels Pedan is going to be an NHLer one day, so he gets him at a cost and not the consolidation prize, whatever that may be, just because it's 'cheaper'.Going back to my initial point, you don't have to win every trade. The player you acquire just has to fit your plan to become a contender.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Agreed. There's a faction of fans who prefer a GM who grinds on contracts and shaves a mill off of a placeholder goalie contract. Then there are those that prefer a GM with an eye for identifying and developing talent. The former can't get past that this is not Benning's MO or even his strength while the latter are (more) willing to excuse a perceived 'overpayment' if it acquires a piece this team badly needs.
Funny, if you are not critical about how you budget your roster, how do you plan to keep the players you have drafted and developed.
Look at JB's former team and see how much trouble they have now keeping the pieces together because everyone is slightly more expensive despite NTC and such.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

He's also a rookie GM, he'll get better at handling contracts et al. with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland