Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He's also a rookie GM, he'll get better at handling contracts et al. with experience.

Dude has been as assistant for how many years? This is his personality, it's his perspective and philosophy and thingd like that don't change. Anyway. Different discussion.
I do like Pedan, looking good. Hope he can earn a roster spot next camp.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
So when was the last time the Canucks had a decent prospect on D that was big, tough, could pass and shoot, and skate well? How about almost never. Maybe, kinda Bourdon? Not much before that. For some reason, to me, Pedan is the most intriguing prospect they have next to Virtanen.

I still maintain this and if Pedan continues to progress and has a strong playoff, he may even leapfrog Virtanen for me just on the basis the Canucks have never had a d-man like he is shaping up to be. Best prospect? Not yet anyway. Most intriguing? Almost there now.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I still maintain this and if Pedan continues to progress and has a strong playoff, he may even leapfrog Virtanen for me just on the basis the Canucks have never had a d-man like he is shaping up to be. Best prospect? Not yet anyway. Most intriguing? Almost there now.

Yeah, he's getting to be one of the more intriguing prospects to me, too. Subban and Tryamkin are there, too, but Pedan has done his thing at the pro level, so he comes out on top.

I think Corrado is our only D ahead of Pedan at this point on the prospect chart, and I'm not sure how much longer that will last.

Could you imagine a Pedan - Tryamkin pairing? That's just sick.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Completely different type of D so i don't know how you expect him to reach Ohlund level. Pedan is more physical than any 'nuck Dman i can remember. We had Dmans as big as hm but never with the same type of mean streak.

Well that's my point, i don't have any expectations. :dunno:

Just been awhile since I've been so hyped over an up and coming defenseman in the organization. Plus they interviewed Mattias several games back and I was reminded how great it was having him in the line up on a regular basis.

I've only seen limited actual footage of him play, but those that do watch him sound pretty unanimous in their praise, so that's what's encouraging to me.

yoss

May 25, 2011
And someone earlier in the post mentioned Ohlund so that's where that came from initially, I was responding to that in mind. Hopefully Utica makes a nice playoff run and all those guys can gain some added experience playing in high pressure situations.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Funny, if you are not critical about how you budget your roster, how do you plan to keep the players you have drafted and developed.
Look at JB's former team and see how much trouble they have now keeping the pieces together because everyone is slightly more expensive despite NTC and such.

Matters more or less at different times. For Gillis and the type of team we had from 2009-2012 it mattered tremendously so it was fair that he focussed heavily on cap management. For the team going forward in the next 3 years it isn't nearly as important. Big veteran contracts will be expiring and younger, cheaper contracts taking their place. Since Miller's contract essentially matches this retool period, it matters less that Benning ground him down to 4 or 5M. However at some point in the future, when this team is legitimately competing for a cup again it will become more important to sign frugal contracts. This may not even be Benning's regime by that time, but for now cheap contracts is a lower priority in terms of evaluating Benning (for me).

*Edit: As a comparable, didn't Gillis massively overpay for Sundin back in 2008-2009, as absolutely no one was even close to offering him $10M a year. Yet it made sense over the short term and given what the team needed. I view Miller in the same way.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Matters more or less at different times. For Gillis and the type of team we had from 2009-2012 it mattered tremendously so it was fair that he focussed heavily on cap management. For the team going forward in the next 3 years it isn't nearly as important. Big veteran contracts will be expiring and younger, cheaper contracts taking their place. Since Miller's contract essentially matches this retool period, it matters less that Benning ground him down to 4 or 5M. However at some point in the future, when this team is legitimately competing for a cup again it will become more important to sign frugal contracts. This may not even be Benning's regime by that time, but for now cheap contracts is a lower priority in terms of evaluating Benning (for me).

*Edit: As a comparable, didn't Gillis massively overpay for Sundin back in 2008-2009, as absolutely no one was even close to offering him $10M a year. Yet it made sense over the short term and given what the team needed. I view Miller in the same way.

Except Miller is here for 3 years. If Gillis had signed Sundin to a 3/30 I would have lit his house on fire.

Miller on a 1-year deal I really wouldn't have had much of a problem with.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Sundin was a one year deal. He wasn't a 'progress stopper' like Miller is (in regards to Lack). I've taken this thread off-topic as it is (only mentioned Miller in the first place in regards to a post about Benning "he is literally building the team up from scratch with young guns who can be impactful for the Canucks future" while mentioning Miller as being one of those key guys).

Granted if Sundin was really greedy and taken up the option year part of the deal - Gillis would've really tied his hands for the following season.

Miller on a 1-year deal I really wouldn't have had much of a problem with.
Miller on a 2 year deal would've been just as good as it lines up perfectly with the contract situation with Lack (a guy you think would actually be a part of the long-term plans of the club).

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
[VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Is the title of the thread and we are sitting here complaining about Miller's contract.

Come on guys. Take this to the Miller thread or Armchair thread.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
[VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Is the title of the thread and we are sitting here complaining about Miller's contract.

Come on guys. Take this to the Miller thread or Armchair thread.

Yeah i'm starting to wonder how this related to Miller at all. Its not like we traded or got a goalie out of this deal...

Pedan probably won't make the team (at least as a regular) until Miller is probably gone or at the very least at the final year of his current deal. I don't think Pedan is ready to make the team next year. The year after is possible given how much he has improved sinec the trade.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Yeah i'm starting to wonder how this related to Miller at all. Its not like we traded or got a goalie out of this deal...

Pedan probably won't make the team (at least as a regular) until Miller is probably gone or at the very least at the final year of his current deal. I don't think Pedan is ready to make the team next year. The year after is possible given how much he has improved sinec the trade.

Your projection is consistent with the recent interview Benning did, in which he predicted another season in Utica, with injury call-ups, and in the Canucks line-up the year after.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah, he's getting to be one of the more intriguing prospects to me, too. Subban and Tryamkin are there, too, but Pedan has done his thing at the pro level, so he comes out on top.

I think Corrado is our only D ahead of Pedan at this point on the prospect chart, and I'm not sure how much longer that will last.

Two lefties, so i doubt it would happen barring injury or poor structure. Best hope is Pedan becomes a 2nd pairing guy, Tryamkin a 3rd pairing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pedan-Clendening is the duo that makes sense, I think they would complement each other well.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site

Actually I think a Pedan - Subban pairing would be more dangerous.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Pedan's a dynamic player with excellent mobility and speed.

He's not a prototypical PPQB - but he has a booming shot.

More or less, he's shaping up to be what Edler was before his back surgery.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Should belong to another thread, feel bad for derailing.
You can't come out and declare you are competing and then at the same time say oh cap doesn't really matter that much this year. Cap matters every damn year. Get Miller to take a year less or a mil less, that's money that can go towards improving the roster.
When we signed Sundin, nobody bat an eye because that was a significant upgrade since we didn't even have a 2nd line center. Guy was our best player in the playoffs and still ppg despite slow out of the gate and taking forever to get in the lineup. Best part, didn't force anyone out.
Miller is not a significant upgrade over what we have (let's look at the numbers?), to sign him we had to move out Garrison (killed depth) and in the long run either one of Lack and Markstrom (for cheap).
2 year contract, won't complain one bit. 3 years? Oh **** off. (Benning)

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Should belong to another thread, feel bad for derailing.
You can't come out and declare you are competing and then at the same time say oh cap doesn't really matter that much this year. Cap matters every damn year. Get Miller to take a year less or a mil less, that's money that can go towards improving the roster.
When we signed Sundin, nobody bat an eye because that was a significant upgrade since we didn't even have a 2nd line center. Guy was our best player in the playoffs and still ppg despite slow out of the gate and taking forever to get in the lineup. Best part, didn't force anyone out.
Miller is not a significant upgrade over what we have (let's look at the numbers?), to sign him we had to move out Garrison (killed depth) and in the long run either one of Lack and Markstrom (for cheap).
2 year contract, won't complain one bit. 3 years? Oh **** off. (Benning)

Pretty much. The third year makes the contract go from an overpayment salary wise to terrible. I can't reasonbly justify it and Lack is showing why this year. He's better and already had more wins against playoff teams than Miller a few weeks ago. I don't think anybody else was after Miller either. Looks like poor negotiating and foresight by Benning.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Don't do what happens to most players yet to appear on the NHL scene. Don't paint his exact style and mannerisms and how he will play. There is a lot more to this big young kid than a "nasty defensive D-man". We have been posting updates on his progress following every Comets' game. If you have followed them you would know this already.

First off, he is a hard hitting D-man in his own zone, but he does not run around seeking the big hit or spend a lot of time planning the path to set up a big hit. He plays his position, angles guys off, pokes the puck or picks it off their sticks any time such a move is available (he has a F-16 wing span). He will turn with a guy trying to go wide and skate with him taking him out of the play as well as taking away the passing lane which is the common move for a good D-man. He will also take any guy to the boards if it's there. In other words he plays defense as it should be played.

His vision is good and he will hit the first man on the outlet with an accurate, crisp first pass. That pass can also be an accurate bullet stretch pass as well. He is also capable of taking the puck and heading up ice to start a rush. He skates very well. I didn't say skates well for a big man, I said skates very well. He has actually gone coast to coast and been back to play his position afterwards.

He has a cannon for a shot, but will have to work hard to gain good control of it. He has already taken force off of it in order to make sure he gets it to the net. He needs to keep adding force until he can take the bomb and get it there. Many opponents have learned just how hard the good one is by blocking it and crumpling to the ice or hobbling off. It hurts people and soon they will clear out and leave it to the keeper which means it can be tipped and the rebound will be available because stopping it is paramount and controlling the rebound is second thought. If they stay in the way, the goalie will never pick it up coming through a screen or past a ducking, turtling, or flamingoed defender.

He is strong, a good skater, has a good shot, hits hard, passes well, and if pressed he can throw 'em like no other we've seen him tangle with. He shakes guys by the collar with his brute strength and their helmets pop off. He has shredded one guys jersey this way. If he can land a clean punch, it's usually over. He was never trained as a fighter. He just does it. The best part is he doesn't look for this. He is perfectly satisfied to play the game and go home without a fight.

Most teams who have challenged him end it with one go and the next game leave it be. Adirondack has tried a couple different guys and it didn't work. So, he is not a goon. He is not a fighter who can also play a little hockey. His resume at the moment is being written as a very solid Defenseman who if he has to can more than handle himself against all comers. He will also take on anyone attempting to abuse one of his mates.

This 21 year old kid's future is unlimited at the moment. He is still growing into his body for crimey sakes. The ceiling has yet to be reached. Benning's desire to create a tough stay at home D-man may have already been surpassed by sheer demand of the game as it has been played in Utica. They are a puck control team and everyone has to participate for that to work. When their D is the right 6 this game is played to the extreme and they are very good at it. If the bozos could finish, this team would be unbelievable. Pedan fits in very well. He is by no means a bottom pairing. Green doesn't have actually 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairings. He rolls 'em and Pedan is often up against the opponents 1st or 2nd units and has handled himself very admirably.

So don't formulate any preconceived notions. It's too soon. He still makes blunders and gets out of position once in a while. He's raw, but refining by the game. Next year he will get much better if the learning curve continues. If it does he could be something way beyond expectations or it may just stop at some point and that's what you'll have. No one knows exactly where that will be. His growth is a one fun ride to watch.

I certainly was not painting him with one brush. From everything I have read, he does indeed seem to be a big nasty d-man. You have a very unique player who is incredibly hard to play against, skate well, and put up points. I would say the exact same thing for Zdeno Chara at the NHL level; nevertheless your notes and detail on his style of play and progression are extremely appreciated. People like you are an asset to those who do not get to see a player day in and day out.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The more I'm hearing about Pedan the more I like the deal and the player we got back. Sounds like a monster dman; the kind of which we've never really had at the NHL level. Here's to hoping he's given a glance over by the big club sooner next season at some point, really anxious to see what he can do.

And this is a good place to discuss it, being the Pedan thread and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA