Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I agree and can skip past the fact that previous management overpaid for Mallet using a 2nd rounder on him.

Poor asset management IMO, for a guy who is a project.

Any third round pick we drafted would likely have been a 'project'.

We picked up one who, from what we're being told, has shown progress and is improving every game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Any third round pick we drafted would likely have been a 'project'.

We picked up one who, from what we're being told, has shown progress and is improving every game.

And the time frame on the current project is literally years ahead of where a 2015 3rd round draft pick would be as a projected player.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Has this guy vaulted himself from playing in the ECHL, to being the organizations top defense prospect in 3 months?

Can anyone think of the last defenseman the Canucks had with this combination of gorilla strength and toughness, coupled with the smooth skating and puckskills? Just such a rare breed of player.

If he ends up in the NHL, he's probably a top 5 nuclear deterrent...

Utica fans- If you could only keep one player, is it Pedan or Corrado?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
You can't say he's passed Corrado, IMO, but I don't consider it unfathomable that Pedan leapfrogs him in the somewhat near future.

Imagine if Tryamkin and Pedan turn out and we have both of them playing strong roles on our blue line. Suddenly one of the bigger, tougher blue lines. And mean.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
At first I was like "what, who?"

I was in the "well let's see how this turns out, but a 3rd?" boat.

Turned out good, so far.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
The only reason I liked the trade was I had just completed an in-depth analysis of the Islanders' defence a few days before the trade and knew they had too many guys to develop with good potential. They decided to trade the rawest of the bunch, so far at least, top the Canucks' benefit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pedan may be unique amongst 'Nuck prospects, particularly with their depth on the blueline.....a guy with an intriguing skill-set, but at 6'5" is just mad-dog mean in his own zone....a guy who'll punish forechecking forwards....after watching the 'Nucks d-men get pounded into submission in their own zone by the those California teams, boy do they need a d-man like Pedan. :handclap:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Can he play at the NHL pace in the one remaining question. You'll find out in a couple months, I guess.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Can he play at the NHL pace in the one remaining question. You'll find out in a couple months, I guess.

Yeah Pedan is looking great for us on the farm right now, but to keep things in perspective remember that just a few months ago Isles had what they considered to be 6 better dmen on the farm. His rise probably has a lot to do with our own lack of quality D prospects.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah Pedan is looking great for us on the farm right now, but to keep things in perspective remember that just a few months ago Isles had what they considered to be 6 better dmen on the farm. His rise probably has a lot to do with our own lack of quality D prospects.

I'm not sure about that. On Team 1040 after the deadline Benning said they acquired Pedan because they felt he had a skill set that wasn't being utilized by the Islanders. He said he was focusing on being too offensive and when he came to Utica they clearly defined his role as a big, reliable defensive guy and told him which skills they want him to work on. I think that's the reason he has done so well here.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Benning is very high on him, already stated that he will allow Pedan to "cook" more in the AHL next season and get some NHL games. I reckon he will be the first callup as soon as a defenceman goes down. Then the following season, he will be a regular in the NHL.

Great trade so far, Baertschi and Pedan have been amazing so far :handclap:

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Pedan may be unique amongst 'Nuck prospects, particularly with their depth on the blueline.....a guy with an intriguing skill-set, but at 6'5" is just mad-dog mean in his own zone....a guy who'll punish forechecking forwards....after watching the 'Nucks d-men get pounded into submission in their own zone by the those California teams, boy do they need a d-man like Pedan. :handclap:

If he turns out to be a better skating Douglas Murray this trade a win.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not sure about that. On Team 1040 after the deadline Benning said they acquired Pedan because they felt he had a skill set that wasn't being utilized by the Islanders. He said he was focusing on being too offensive and when he came to Utica they clearly defined his role as a big, reliable defensive guy and told him which skills they want him to work on. I think that's the reason he has done so well here.

Also, another thing that is cool is that in a full AHL season, he would be on pace for 33 points in 76 games. Not bad at all for a nasty defensive dman.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

It's interesting, because management has taken some heat from fans for trying to pigeon hole this guy into being something he's not - and that they're doing him a major disservice in doing so. Yet I can't think of the last Canuck prospect that has seen this type of growth in such a short period of time at the AHL level. They turned an 'ECHL defenseman' into what sounds like a #1 defenseman at the AHL level - in 3 months.

I was definitely optimistic about the deal after hearing what Islander fans thought about Pedan. But am definitely surprised just how quickly his stock has risen. Don't even know if I would move this guy for a late 1st Rd pick...

If Pedans development curve doesn't slow down at some point soon, this could be one of those deals that haunts the Islanders for a very long time. Guys this tough, that have this kind of upside just don't come around very often. Toughest player in the organization by a country mile.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
dont get ahead of yourself. dude's still a longshot to come close to the career of even an adam mcquaid, let alone a jason garrison, and we know the price on the the latter is an easy 2nd round pick

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Who knows, maybe soon enough we'll have Pedan and that other Russian hulk on D.

Add a couple of comrades to the team and we're sure to lure Chubarov and Kolstov back to NA.

.... we're still saying that right?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
dont get ahead of yourself. dude's still a longshot to come close to the career of even an adam mcquaid, let alone a jason garrison, and we know the price on the the latter is an easy 2nd round pick

He also has a better toolbox than Johnny Boychuk, and that guy garnered a $42mil contract.

Just such a unique, intriguing skill set. Am surprised the lack of attention he's been getting. Then again, I put a ton of stock in player trajectory, more so than pedigree. Especially so for defensemen. On that front, Pedan is off the charts, like we saw with Tanev. Very encouraging to say the least.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Also, another thing that is cool is that in a full AHL season, he would be on pace for 33 points in 76 games. Not bad at all for a nasty defensive dman.

Don't do what happens to most players yet to appear on the NHL scene. Don't paint his exact style and mannerisms and how he will play. There is a lot more to this big young kid than a "nasty defensive D-man". We have been posting updates on his progress following every Comets' game. If you have followed them you would know this already.

First off, he is a hard hitting D-man in his own zone, but he does not run around seeking the big hit or spend a lot of time planning the path to set up a big hit. He plays his position, angles guys off, pokes the puck or picks it off their sticks any time such a move is available (he has a F-16 wing span). He will turn with a guy trying to go wide and skate with him taking him out of the play as well as taking away the passing lane which is the common move for a good D-man. He will also take any guy to the boards if it's there. In other words he plays defense as it should be played.

His vision is good and he will hit the first man on the outlet with an accurate, crisp first pass. That pass can also be an accurate bullet stretch pass as well. He is also capable of taking the puck and heading up ice to start a rush. He skates very well. I didn't say skates well for a big man, I said skates very well. He has actually gone coast to coast and been back to play his position afterwards.

He has a cannon for a shot, but will have to work hard to gain good control of it. He has already taken force off of it in order to make sure he gets it to the net. He needs to keep adding force until he can take the bomb and get it there. Many opponents have learned just how hard the good one is by blocking it and crumpling to the ice or hobbling off. It hurts people and soon they will clear out and leave it to the keeper which means it can be tipped and the rebound will be available because stopping it is paramount and controlling the rebound is second thought. If they stay in the way, the goalie will never pick it up coming through a screen or past a ducking, turtling, or flamingoed defender.

He is strong, a good skater, has a good shot, hits hard, passes well, and if pressed he can throw 'em like no other we've seen him tangle with. He shakes guys by the collar with his brute strength and their helmets pop off. He has shredded one guys jersey this way. If he can land a clean punch, it's usually over. He was never trained as a fighter. He just does it. The best part is he doesn't look for this. He is perfectly satisfied to play the game and go home without a fight.

Most teams who have challenged him end it with one go and the next game leave it be. Adirondack has tried a couple different guys and it didn't work. So, he is not a goon. He is not a fighter who can also play a little hockey. His resume at the moment is being written as a very solid Defenseman who if he has to can more than handle himself against all comers. He will also take on anyone attempting to abuse one of his mates.

This 21 year old kid's future is unlimited at the moment. He is still growing into his body for crimey sakes. The ceiling has yet to be reached. Benning's desire to create a tough stay at home D-man may have already been surpassed by sheer demand of the game as it has been played in Utica. They are a puck control team and everyone has to participate for that to work. When their D is the right 6 this game is played to the extreme and they are very good at it. If the bozos could finish, this team would be unbelievable. Pedan fits in very well. He is by no means a bottom pairing. Green doesn't have actually 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairings. He rolls 'em and Pedan is often up against the opponents 1st or 2nd units and has handled himself very admirably.

So don't formulate any preconceived notions. It's too soon. He still makes blunders and gets out of position once in a while. He's raw, but refining by the game. Next year he will get much better if the learning curve continues. If it does he could be something way beyond expectations or it may just stop at some point and that's what you'll have. No one knows exactly where that will be. His growth is a one fun ride to watch.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He also has a better toolbox than Johnny Boychuk, and that guy garnered a $42mil contract.

Just such a unique, intriguing skill set. Am surprised the lack of attention he's been getting. Then again, I put a ton of stock in player trajectory, more so than pedigree. Especially so for defensemen. On that front, Pedan is off the charts, like we saw with Tanev. Very encouraging to say the least.

I'm with you all the way. This guys toolbox is becoming a tool chest. Running overboard as to where he will finish isn't wise yet. His growth chart has only been up. Somewhere it will level off, but I have seen no indicator of that as yet. I find it tons of fun watching this kid grow. Nobody on this team has shown close to his kind of development in the their full two seasons they've been here.

I've watched the AHL since the 60's and seen guys come and leave quickly because they came with the talent level already complete. I've never seen one come in so raw and develop and refine his game any where near as fast as this kid, especially on defense. The scary thing is that at the moment he is 21 and learning on the job every night and incorporating it into how he plays the next game. I think we need to start saying he has a very high IQ whether its' a hockey IQ or just plain IQ or combination of the two is immaterial. He has been absorbing hockey knowledge like a sponge.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
It's interesting, because management has taken some heat from fans for trying to pigeon hole this guy into being something he's not - and that they're doing him a major disservice in doing so. Yet I can't think of the last Canuck prospect that has seen this type of growth in such a short period of time at the AHL level. They turned an 'ECHL defenseman' into what sounds like a #1 defenseman at the AHL level - in 3 months.

I was definitely optimistic about the deal after hearing what Islander fans thought about Pedan. But am definitely surprised just how quickly his stock has risen. Don't even know if I would move this guy for a late 1st Rd pick...

If Pedans development curve doesn't slow down at some point soon, this could be one of those deals that haunts the Islanders for a very long time. Guys this tough, that have this kind of upside just don't come around very often. Toughest player in the organization by a country mile.

Way too many people refer to Andrey Pedan as "an ECHL defenseman". When you look at the stats you will find that in the last three seasons Pedan has played a total of 74 games in the AHL and only 7 in the ECHL. Of the 7 ECHL game 2 were early this season and 5 were last year and I believe the Islanders used these assignments to get him more ice after injuries.

When the trade for Pedan included a future third round pick many Vancouver fans over reacted negatively when seeing that Pedan had played in the ECHL the past two seasons without knowing anything about him other than he can fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad