Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It's not like anyone should have any reason to think we'd end up with anything better than Pedan with that pick anyway. He was buried behind depth on Long Island, and he's improving according to the guys who actually watch him play. Now that we've got an actual, proper developmental AHL team, who knows?

Also, it's our inability to draft and develop really anything outside of goalies the last decade is killing us. Top 6 players, bottom 6 players, top 6 d...

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Guys this tall, don't keep listening to the word BIG, with his trim, but fit physique, don't normally skate like this kid. Guys of any size don't normally bump with his kind of strength and very few actually land a hit of his quality ever. His shot, while a little erratic (he has reeled it in very well in the few weeks he's been here), is rare amongst any players. His passing is sharp and hard. He threads a stretch pass tape to tape from one end to the other as well as I've seen done. His puck skills and ice positioning is need of improvement. His hockey IQ is actually increasing game to game. I think this kid is smart and therefore learns quickly. Proof? He does not commonly repeat the same mistakes.

So when was the last time the Canucks had a decent prospect on D that was big, tough, could pass and shoot, and skate well? How about almost never. Maybe, kinda Bourdon? Not much before that. For some reason, to me, Pedan is the most intriguing prospect they have next to Virtanen.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It's not like anyone should have any reason to think we'd end up with anything better than Pedan with that pick anyway. He was buried behind depth on Long Island, and he's improving according to the guys who actually watch him play. Now that we've got an actual, proper developmental AHL team, who knows?

Also, it's our inability to draft and develop really anything outside of goalies the last decade is killing us. Top 6 players, bottom 6 players, top 6 d...

From the 2007 to 2010 drafts we don't have a single NHL player on our roster. Shocking how bad we've been. I just posted in another thread but currently Kevin freakin Connauton is the best player right now amongst all of our picks during that stretch.

Hodgson and Schroeder have become turds. Brutal.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
From the 2007 to 2010 drafts we don't have a single NHL player on our roster. Shocking how bad we've been. I just posted in another thread but currently Kevin freakin Connauton is the best player right now amongst all of our picks during that stretch.

Oh, I know. I went and looked at our draft history today. Absolutely astonishing how bad it's been and for how long.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

if you only look at those years you can see the minor line of improvement, at least. 2007 is probably the worst draft in nhl history by any team, and i doubt it's even close

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Thats so ****ing pathetic I almost cant believe it. So many chances and thwy all blow.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the prospects traded away, or prospects picked with the draft picks traded away, in deadlines deals from '04-'07:

alex goligoski, r.j. umberger (pending UFA tbf), martin grenier, jordan morrison, dan lacosta, jonas enroth, brett skinner, bryce swan, tj miller, tomas mojzis, vladimir zharkov, wayne simmonds, justin jokinen, akim aliu.

a giant bag of crap with a few exceptions, and come on it's not like we ever draft a simmonds or a goligoski-level guy in the 2nd round, but still: that's a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks given away.

i don't know what bearing it has on the current discussion, but it does have some bearing. kind of staggering to see all in one place though.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Staggering? Take the whole list of draft picks given away, with limited return, through Burke, Nonis and Gillis. Now THAT is staggering!

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I love this trade, Mallet was a turd the day he was drafted, and he's a turd now. Even if Pedan never gets a sniff at the NHL, we still win this trade. Mallet is and was a complete waste of a 2nd round pick and epitomizes our recent drafting history.

Pedan seems to have a slight chance of being a depth guy, unlike Mallet who you know is dead in the water.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I love this trade, Mallet was a turd the day he was drafted, and he's a turd now. Even if Pedan never gets a sniff at the NHL, we still win this trade. Mallet is and was a complete waste of a 2nd round pick and epitomizes our recent drafting history.

Pedan seems to have a slight chance of being a depth guy, unlike Mallet who you know is dead in the water.

The issue isn't that we lost Mallet to gain Pedan, the issue is that we sent a 3rd round pick for Pedan and included Mallet to keep the contact slots even.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
The issue isn't that we lost Mallet to gain Pedan, the issue is that we sent a 3rd round pick for Pedan and included Mallet to keep the contact slots even.

I don't see the issue? We dumped a bad pick and a 3rd round pick to get a guy similar to what we used our last 3rd round pick on (Tryamkin), but ahead in development by a year.

Is the fact we drafted Tryamkin an issue as well? Who should we have drafted with that pick?

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
"Giving up a 3rd for Pedan (sp?) seems a bit suspect. While not a rental, I'm not sure the rationale behind the trade."

This quote comes form LiquidSnake late on the Caroilina GDT. Before I posted this response they closed the thread so I moved it to the Pedan thread.

I can give you the rationale. Benning and or a scout or 2 or a little bird or even possibly when still in Boston saw this kid and did some deeper snooping. They saw something here that may blossom into one of those finds we see one or two of every season. He was currently hidden in a logjam of deep Islanders D-prospects and was also recovering from an injury which lowered him on the depth charts.

Guys this tall, don't keep listening to the word BIG, with his trim, but fit physique, don't normally skate like this kid. Guys of any size don't normally bump with his kind of strength and very few actually land a hit of his quality ever. His shot, while a little erratic (he has reeled it in very well in the few weeks he's been here), is rare amongst any players. His passing is sharp and hard. He threads a stretch pass tape to tape from one end to the other as well as I've seen done. His puck skills and ice positioning is need of improvement. His hockey IQ is actually increasing game to game. I think this kid is smart and therefore learns quickly. Proof? He does not commonly repeat the same mistakes.

He was a 6/7 D-man a couple weeks ago. Now I'm not sure where to put him. He has been in the top 2/4 lately and has started the last 2 games. With Green, putting a number on his lines or D pairings is difficult because he shifts them all over without discrimination. Saying this, he also pairs up a younger/less experienced guy with a veteran/better guy in all of his D pairings. So Pedan is with Biega, Sanguinetti/Andersson or Lafranchise, and Huskins/Ehrhardt. He then pairs these groups randomly with the forward lines.

I can tell you this. Any third round D-man you select in the draft will be nowhere near the development of Pedan by next October. In a year (or more or less) from now Pedan just may shock the shorts off of a doubting Thomas fan base that lives in the past regarding taking a shot on a promising player for a mid round draft pick and a slug like Mallet. You want to clump Benning with past GMs. It's way to early to bring the jury in on this guy, Benning or Pedan depending on who you think I'm talking about.

Thanks for the scouting Bad Goalie. I was happy when they made this trade, and was hopeful the he'd start to make some strides once he got used to the Comets/Canucks system and his new teammates. It sounds like he's doing just that.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Staggering? Take the whole list of draft picks given away, with limited return, through Burke, Nonis and Gillis. Now THAT is staggering!

it was staggering because that's 14 players, 2 full years of draft picks, all thrown away for short term solutions in three seasons.

it speaks for itself, doesn't need to be muddied by adding the picks that gillis traded for real useful players like higgins and lapierre.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Gillis hardly belongs with the other two, considering we were actually a Cup contender while he was in charge and many players acquired with picks stuck around.

If you want to call Gillis out on something, make it on taking to long to turn around the scouting (though this is hard to quantify) or being too cute with his 2nd round selections.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't see the issue? We dumped a bad pick and a 3rd round pick to get a guy similar to what we used our last 3rd round pick on (Tryamkin), but ahead in development by a year.

Is the fact we drafted Tryamkin an issue as well? Who should we have drafted with that pick?

I wasn't going out of my way to say it was some major issue. If you'd read the post I quoted it contains no mention of the 3rd round pick and I was merely informing the poster that this wasn't just a swap of Mallet for Pedan.

Personally, I don't mind tossing a 3rd round pick into a trade for guy like Pedan. He's the sort of player I could see us taking with that pick and from the sounds of things he's progressing well in Utica. If his issues turn out to be coachable he has all the tools needed to make the show and if not, we still played the odds and bought low on a prospect that had potential.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Gillis hardly belongs with the other two, considering we were actually a Cup contender while he was in charge and many players acquired with picks stuck around.

If you want to call Gillis out on something, make it on taking to long to turn around the scouting (though this is hard to quantify) or being too cute with his 2nd round selections.

I remember his press conference the day he was hired. He said something about how you can't rely on trades or FA signings to build a team, you have to grow your own players. At the time, it was up there with the single smartest thing I've ever heard a Canucks GM say.

I'm still waiting for a GM to actually do that. We've made good strides; we now own our own AHL team and it's doing very well, I really like the last couple of years' draft picks (although who knows who's actually going to pan out) but the fact guys like Delorme are still drawing salaries worries me tremendously. How long do you have to suck horribly at your job before you get fired?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
"Giving up a 3rd for Pedan (sp?) seems a bit suspect. While not a rental, I'm not sure the rationale behind the trade."

This quote comes form LiquidSnake late on the Caroilina GDT. Before I posted this response they closed the thread so I moved it to the Pedan thread.

I can give you the rationale. Benning and or a scout or 2 or a little bird or even possibly when still in Boston saw this kid and did some deeper snooping. They saw something here that may blossom into one of those finds we see one or two of every season. He was currently hidden in a logjam of deep Islanders D-prospects and was also recovering from an injury which lowered him on the depth charts.

He was a 6/7 D-man a couple weeks ago. Now I'm not sure where to put him. He has been in the top 2/4 lately and has started the last 2 games. With Green, putting a number on his lines or D pairings is difficult because he shifts them all over without discrimination. Saying this, he also pairs up a younger/less experienced guy with a veteran/better guy in all of his D pairings. So Pedan is with Biega, Sanguinetti/Andersson or Lafranchise, and Huskins/Ehrhardt. He then pairs these groups randomly with the forward lines.

I can tell you this. Any third round D-man you select in the draft will be nowhere near the development of Pedan by next October. In a year (or more or less) from now Pedan just may shock the shorts off of a doubting Thomas fan base that lives in the past regarding taking a shot on a promising player for a mid round draft pick and a slug like Mallet. You want to clump Benning with past GMs. It's way to early to bring the jury in on this guy, Benning or Pedan depending on who you think I'm talking about.

Good to hear that.

I didn't like this trade when it was made, but I can get around to it if he continues to make progression.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Good to hear that.

I didn't like this trade when it was made, but I can get around to it if he continues to make progression.

This is a project that fills a void we clearly had... a big physical dman prospect. We drafted 1 this year but he's years away. We have nothing else in the pipeline that are similar. We have a few "Offensive" D-projects in NCAA but again different type. We don't really have anyone similar to Pedan except maybe KB3 but he's no where near as big so even that comparison is kinda a stretch but KB3 is the only dman we had in recent year with the physical edge.

Like i said before, given how many big forwards play in our division and how the Cali teams are built, this move makes a lot of sense on paper if it works out. Of course there's a chance it doesn't but there's always that change. Its a project move/gamble but it makes sense to gamble a 3rd round pick on exactly what we need in the future.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I hate moves like these. Absolutely hate them. What is with this organization and trading away mid round picks for projects? It's a trend that has followed us through three or four GM's now. This guys has played like 40 pro games in the last two and a half years with stints in the ECHL. Doesn't sound very promising.

I agree and can skip past the fact that previous management overpaid for Mallet using a 2nd rounder on him.

Poor asset management IMO, for a guy who is a project.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Poor asset management IMO, for a guy who is a project.
Unfortunately Mallet wasn't an asset.

To this point he has 1 goal in 77 AHL games.
Also, one dimensional fighter types are no longer assets.

He was supposed to be a power forward....but he obviously doesn't have the skills for that role. So, he'd have to be a fighter first and foremost. Those guys aren't assets.

Pedan is a project...even a long shot project...but as an asset, he's got more value than Mallet.

Where Mallet was drafted is now irrelevant. He flopped so bad in the AHL level, he's just looked at as a 'swing and a miss'.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Unfortunately Mallet wasn't an asset.

To this point he has 1 goal in 77 AHL games.
Also, one dimensional fighter types are no longer assets.

He was supposed to be a power forward....but he obviously doesn't have the skills for that role. So, he'd have to be a fighter first and foremost. Those guys aren't assets.

Pedan is a project...even a long shot project...but as an asset, he's got more value than Mallet.

Where Mallet was drafted is now irrelevant. He flopped so bad in the AHL level, he's just looked at as a 'swing and a miss'.

Agreed. Mallet might have been the worst waste of a pick since the fabled 2007 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad