Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F J.T. Miller re-signs in Vancouver (7 years, $8M AAV)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I know this won't be the best comparison as there is an age difference between the two players but would a team trade for JT Miller if the Canucks retained 1m, like Toronto did with Kessel when they went tank or rebuild mode?

Phil was I think 1 year in to his new deal whereas JT's new deal doesn't start till next season. Now it doesn't look good on the Canucks GM to trade someone you just signed and fans won't like retaining 1m for 7 years but if a team would take JT but asks for retention I think it should be considered.

I don't think JT would be happy playing here if we continue with this kind of record, he did commit to the team but I am sure he wants a chance at the Cup so even though he says he loves Vancouver and he believes in the team hence why he signed I think he would be happy to get dealt
Teams don’t do that unless they feel it must be d9ne.

league might not approve because the contract has not yet kicked in.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
This doesn't mean we're stuck at all. We're right where we would be anyway, with Miller locked up long term, instead of taking a crap proposal and using cap space which....we still aren't hurting for yet (next year we have 15+ million, more with Poolman on LTIR).

I'd rather have had news of a trade for a defender, but this isn't bad news.

Also, is this 7 years at 8 million, or 8 years at 7 million, different sources are saying different things.
1 year in and it's already looking like bad news lol
Wow, we sign our arguably best player, heart and soul guy, sandpaper carries guys into the fight, the young guys look up to him to a good AAV ok a little long and all the bitter bros. Can't handle it.

Lmao you mean doesn't fit YOUR timeline. You "expert" fans are too much

Lmao you mean doesn't fit YOUR timeline. You "expert" fans are too much
Well, you my good friend deserve this timeline. You deserve the product that is being put out on the ice today.
I don't get this "it doesn't fit our timeline" nonsense.........seriously............our window is now. Really puzzling to think otherwise unless we are going to rebuild. Disagree completely.
Our window is now? If icing a below .500 team is our window...yeesh. You deserve the product that is being put out on the ice today.
Vancouver's cap situation doesn't make this contract a disaster. The SITUATION is close to a disaster, yes, but this is a good contract.
Situation is a disaster, yes, but this is a BAD contract.
An extended Miller at below market value is arguably a more valuable trade asset today than he was yesterday.

Not saying he’s going to be dealt but any word on a NT/NM clause?

12th in nhl scoring over the past 3 seasons.
50th in cap hit.
Well done Allvin
Well done Allvin! Who could've thought that the contract wouldn't take 4 years to start aging badly, but under 4 months.
Things don't happen in a vacuum in the NHL. It's more like slow dominoes. Sometimes what you need just isn't there. When you try to force those things, that's when you end up being a Jim Benning.

If I am to speculate, the Canucks understand the imbalance of the current roster. Allvin said they didn't like the UFA market for RHD and from all we can tell and speculate, the offers for Miller weren't near enticing enough to meet his value. In my mind, they have done the right thing here and kicked the can (a top 4 RHD) down the road because they didn't like the solutions they could find this off-season. It doesn't mean they are stuck.

Canucks have an excess of forwards and especially wingers on paper. However, there are some unknowns in that group. They now have the chance to evaluate those players to see if someone makes someone else expendable and therefore very tradeable. I think Hoglander is already in the very tradeable group and either Mikheyev or Kuzmenko could prove to make Garland very tradeable as well.

If the Canucks had traded Miller for help on D now, they would have fixed a problem by creating a new one. That usually doesn't move you very far ahead and if anything would make your team "stuck".
When you try to force these things? The direction of the team mattered back then as much as it does today. Having a 1st + Lundkvist (Who recently got dealt for a 1st) + Chytil would have served this team far, far better than JT Miller has.
Do you think they would be closer trading Miller for futures?

There's some amazing comedy in the people saying this is a bad deal. It's pretty obvious there was no good deal on the table, and in the current market, I doubt they were even mediocre deals on the table.

With that said, all these ppl complaining "iT's NoT tHeIr tImE"...

Would you rather lose JT Miller for nothing next year, or have him sign this contract ?
I would've rather have taken the best deal available for JT, than sign him to the albatross of a deal he is now on that we've heard journalists come on local radio saying he has essentially JT Miller.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I mean he did earn the Deal. Doesn’t mean he will play up to it continually. But it’s still just 5 games. And it’s not like he’s pointless or scoreless. It’s magnified because the overall team is off to a terrible start
I can't believe I agree with an Islanders fan, but this is spot on. He has earned that deal, but like you said... it is a lot to live up to. And the question still stands.

Reactions: Voight and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I can't believe I agree with an Islanders fan, but this is spot on. He has earned that deal, but like you said... it is a lot to live up to. And the question still stands.
I got attacked and all I said was it will be hard to live up to a maintain that production but if he does it will be more than worth it.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I got attacked and all I said was it will be hard to live up to a maintain that production but if he does it will be more than worth
HFB gonna HFB.

Btw who's that in your pic? Some celebrity? I can't tell if she looks like someone I recognize or if I just recognize her pic from hanging on HFB for a few years haha.

Reactions: SI90

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
HFB gonna HFB.

Btw who's that in your pic? Some celebrity? I can't tell if she looks like someone I recognize or if I just recognize her pic from hanging on HFB for a few years haha.
Chloe Grace Moretz I think.

She's great in the new series, The Peripheral.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This is/was such a bad signing and I think the majority even the silent majority were thinking it loud enough during the actual date of.

It leads people to wonder how much actual interference ownership is involved with because for a team needing assets and to get younger with no cap space signing Miller, Mikheyev and Kuzmenko knowing that blueline and the captain were basically on their way out they sure don't act like it

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They really shouldn't have re-signed him and just sold high on the guy. Get some picks/prospects or whatever, and then allocated his capspace elsewhere.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Miller will be an asset when the team is winning, thats the problem, when its a losing team, he gets prickly and does not help turn the ship around. In the meantime, he will get his points, just dont make him a C .....or an A.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
She's cute, tell her hi from me, haha.

No problem, I let her know. She was happy to get your acknowledgement

zRAO19m.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's pretty sad if this signing is a main reason that they can't keep Horvat.

I guess when they signed Miller they were securing their veteran to see them through a rebuild.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
It's pretty sad if this signing is a main reason that they can't keep Horvat.

I guess when they signed Miller they were securing their veteran to see them through a rebuild.
Nah they just thought Horvat’s number would be smaller and he’d more willing to accept it. Outside of this year, he’s play has never justified a number north of $7M.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Horvat at $9 x 7 or 8 is definitely not any better of a deal than Miller’s. Amazing what a year and some unsustainable shooting percentage can do to the perception of your value.

Whoever signs Horvat to his next deal (it wont be Vancouver) won’t enjoy it any more than the Canucks are loving being stuck to JTM for the long haul.

If you rewind a year and ask Canucks fans who the better player is it’s not even close. This is why it’s hard to understand why any Canucks fan would be skeptical of fans of other teams viewing Horvat as this like nailed in star 50 goal player. It’s quite obvious it’s not sustainable and an outlier.

I actually think JTM is generally the more talented all-around player regardless of the goal totals this season.

Reactions: jd22

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Nah they just thought Horvat’s number would be smaller and he’d more willing to accept it. Outside of this year, he’s play has never justified a number north of $7M.
50-60 top 6 C's that are responsible defensively would've easily gotten $7 million on the open market regardless. Canucks are just dumb when it comes to cap management. They allocate $$ to players not part of their long-term future and then risk losing long-term pieces because of it.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
1 year in and it's already looking like bad news lol

Well, you my good friend deserve this timeline. You deserve the product that is being put out on the ice today.

Our window is now? If icing a below .500 team is our window...yeesh. You deserve the product that is being put out on the ice today.

Situation is a disaster, yes, but this is a BAD contract.

Well done Allvin! Who could've thought that the contract wouldn't take 4 years to start aging badly, but under 4 months.

When you try to force these things? The direction of the team mattered back then as much as it does today. Having a 1st + Lundkvist (Who recently got dealt for a 1st) + Chytil would have served this team far, far better than JT Miller has.

I would've rather have taken the best deal available for JT, than sign him to the albatross of a deal he is now on that we've heard journalists come on local radio saying he has essentially JT Miller.
P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad