Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F J.T. Miller re-signs in Vancouver (7 years, $8M AAV)

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
First of all they are both 9.5 not 8
Second of all sefuin started the contrct poorly from the get go and ben gave one good year so far. If miller falls one year in then throw up your arms

I thought the pretense of the exchange was in the last couple years of the deal the produxtion goes to .5.. or did that change?

If miller produces ppg for the first few years, then falls down to .5 in the last 2 while contributing in other areas it has been fine

He puts up 30 points in 23/24 yeah bad

Also it's all relative, in 6 years the cap ceiling could be very different

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
First of all they are both 9.5 not 8
Second of all sefuin started the contrct poorly from the get go and ben gave one good year so far. If miller falls one year in then throw up your arms

I thought the pretense of the exchange was in the last couple years of the deal the produxtion goes to .5.. or did that change?

If miller produces ppg for the first few years, then falls down to .5 in the last 2 while contributing in other areas it has been fine

He puts up 30 points in 23/24 yeah bad
Are you really nitpicking that much lol? Yea it's a 1.5M difference... Doesn't change the argument.

What is .5 PPG? That's 41 points in a full season.

You really think he's gonna be PPG for the next 4 years? I'm guessing by first few years you mean 3 years on his contract. We'll see. I could see this season. More than that seems very optimistic.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Also it's all relative, in 6 years the cap ceiling could be very different
People always say this, but the cap doesn't change that dramatically. Even if it goes up by 15M in that time it would still be around a 7M contract today. Teams had to pay 1sts to get rid of contracts that were only 6.35M with a year left.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Are you really nitpicking that much lol? Yea it's a 1.5M difference... Doesn't change the argument.

What is .5 PPG? That's 41 points in a full season.

You really think he's gonna be PPG for the next 4 years? I'm guessing by first few years you mean 3 years on his contract. We'll see. I could see this season. More than that seems very optimistic.
Would you rather pay 8 million or 9.5 million for 41 points. It matters

Why not.. he can pass and he has some good potential shooters in vancouver long term. He has done it for the past 3 yrs god forbid he doesnt become a cripple at 31

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Would you rather pay 8 million or 9.5 million for 41 points. It matters

Why not.. he can pass and he has some good potential shooters in vancouver long term. He has done it for the past 3 yrs god forbid he doesnt become a cripple at 31
I wouldn't pay either lmao. That's the point.

I know. Everyone's player is gonna be the exception that defies father time.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

fair enough - a lot simpler without all the arm flailing

so my question, out of curiosity is what is reasonable offensive production? in your opinion does it change with age, like what is reasonable for a 25 year old is different that what is reasonable for a 35 year old?

cc

Feb 28, 2002

Every player is likely to regress with age but it's disingenuous to argue that his play will drop dramatically more than other players with a similar contract. There's no reason to think that his contact will look any worse than say Brayden Schenn's contract when all is said an done

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Every player is likely to regress with age but it's disingenuous to argue that his play will drop dramatically more than other players with a similar contract. There's no reason to think that his contact will look any worse than say Brayden Schenn's contract when all is said an done
I don't think he's gonna completely fall off the cliff, but he'll see a gradual decline.

I mean the Schenn contract is pretty bad lol. I knew it was gonna be bad the day we signed it. We still have 6 seasons left too. Lots of Blues fans gave the same arguments in here.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think he's gonna completely fall off the cliff, but he'll see a gradual decline.

I mean the Schenn contract is pretty bad lol. I knew it was gonna be bad the day we signed it. We still have 6 seasons left too. Lots of Blues fans gave the same arguments in here.
unfortunately, the sad reality is that there is usually little choice but to sign some players to these advanced contracts in order to not lose them for nothing.

In an ideal world, I'm sure the Canucks would have preferred to move Miller for a good return or sign him to a higher cap hit at a lower term but in this case, I think they were handcuffed. It was either sign him long term, move him for a lowball offer, or lose him for nothing. I don't blame them for signing him. I'm assuming they just hope his play doesn't fall off a cliff in the short term

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
If JTM puts up 80-90 pts for 4 years of this deal, then drops down to 40-50 for the last 3 - it’ll be no different than the Sens paying Stutzle 8.3 x 8 and getting 40-50 pts for a few years to “cash in” on the years he eventually gets to PPG or higher. If anything the Canucks were fortunate to get PPG years from JTM at $5M a season, including this upcoming one.

I think JTM will be a useful player until his mid 30s, then he can be LTIRd like everyone else. Maybe he will develop a hockey allergy like Hossa.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
COMMON PATRIK ALLVIN WIN

AAV?

8M, that's a steal

8M AAV is a great deal. Love this for Vancouver.

Miller has been great the last few years. He earned that payday but man he better keep up the production. That’s a serious contract.

Lmao that Kadri contract. Holy shit this is so much better in every aspect, congrats Vancouver.

oof-old-man.gif

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Don’t know why you included me. I was attacked for that comment lol

It’s only 5 games but the fact is it’s possible for him to not be an 70+ point player any given year. Still early though.
Your take was a little on the soft centrist side so I thought it deserved it.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Your take was a little on the soft centrist side so I thought it deserved it.
I mean he did earn the Deal. Doesn’t mean he will play up to it continually. But it’s still just 5 games. And it’s not like he’s pointless or scoreless. It’s magnified because the overall team is off to a terrible start

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think there's good reason the Rangers and Lightning moved on and he was never considered part of their cores. And that reason isn't he's not good enough at hockey,

Miller is just best enjoyed as a complimentary piece.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think there's good reason the Rangers and Lightning moved on and he was never considered part of their cores. And that reason isn't he's not good enough at hockey,

Miller is just best enjoyed as a complimentary piece.

I don't think it's his fault the "core pieces" in Petterson, Horvat and Boeser play like garbage weeks at a time and Miller has to continually produce for the Canucks to have a chance to win a game. Miller is 1,2,1 in team scoring over the last 3 years and the leading scorer in their playoff run, he's been their leading scoring since he joined the team by a margin, he is a complimentary piece and was brought in as that, the fact that he's blowing the others away in production says a lot more about the lackluster core than it does him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't think it's his fault the "core pieces" in Petterson, Horvat and Boeser play like garbage weeks at a time and Miller has to continually produce for the Canucks to have a chance to win a game. Miller is 1,2,1 in team scoring over the last 3 years and the leading scorer in their playoff run, he's been their leading scoring since he joined the team by a margin, he is a complimentary piece and was brought in as that, the fact that he's blowing the others away in production says a lot more about the lackluster core than it does him.

Horvat and Pettersson look ok or even good. It's Boeser and Miller who don't.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Horvat and Pettersson look ok or even good. It's Boeser and Miller who don't.

It's 5 games into the season.... where were Horvat and Pettersson the entire year last year? They play even slightly better and the Canucks make the playoffs.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
It's 5 games into the season.... where were Horvat and Pettersson the entire year last year? They play even slightly better and the Canucks make the playoffs.
Horvat has actually been very consistent with his numbers, and seemingly regardless of situation, always brings the goals.

But yea, the only reason there were playoff hopes so late in the season, is because JT dragged the team for 40 games. Then he played even better the remaining 40. Hughes has really been the only other player to share the true burden of the teams offence the last 2 seasons.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I know this won't be the best comparison as there is an age difference between the two players but would a team trade for JT Miller if the Canucks retained 1m, like Toronto did with Kessel when they went tank or rebuild mode?

Phil was I think 1 year in to his new deal whereas JT's new deal doesn't start till next season. Now it doesn't look good on the Canucks GM to trade someone you just signed and fans won't like retaining 1m for 7 years but if a team would take JT but asks for retention I think it should be considered.

I don't think JT would be happy playing here if we continue with this kind of record, he did commit to the team but I am sure he wants a chance at the Cup so even though he says he loves Vancouver and he believes in the team hence why he signed I think he would be happy to get dealt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad