Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F J.T. Miller re-signs in Vancouver (7 years, $8M AAV)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
is he really that bad? I havent watched many Vancouver games but he's almost ppg
I mean sure basically half his points on the PP but seems Vancouver is bad as a whole team not just Miller making them bad

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
is he really that bad? I havent watched many Vancouver games but he's almost ppg
I mean sure basically half his points on the PP but seems Vancouver is bad as a whole team not just Miller making them bad

No he is not that bad. Its people speaking hyperbole because the management team didn't do what they think they should have. He had a rough start, but has been mostly the same player after a bad start. He will finish around PPG, and every once in a while make absolutely terrible plays that have you scratching your head.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

He's not bad. However, the issue I've had with him (even last year) is the amount of risky passes he does in his own zone and the offensive zone. Last year, the Canucks weren't burned on a lot of them and a high percentage worked out so he racked up the points.

Now, if you watch him on the PP, his favourite move is a behind the back backhand pass to Hughes at the point or a cross ice pass to Pettersson on the other half boards. Other teams have keyed in on this and have punished the Canucks on it.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The biggest mistake the Canucks made was before this extension. They were still in rebuild/transition years but thought they were ready to add pieces and traded for Miller cause the cost was cheap and they had the cap space. Antsy GM type move during transition years. Miller helps the Canucks move up the standings vs staying near the bottom and potentially getting another Hughes or Pettersson

Yah that's been the theme of this team since 2012. Ownership is the biggest problem here, they seem to enjoy insanity more than logic.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yah that's been the theme of this team since 2012. Ownership is the biggest problem here, they seem to enjoy insanity more than logic.

I've seen many teams go down the rebuild road and they just don't have the patience that is required. I like to say it's 3 levels...

1st Level (Rebuild): Accumulate draft power and fill the pool. Sell where you can and maintain high draft power for as long as you can. Do not set a timeline. Monitor it year/year but ensure you spend a lot of money on drafting and scouting.

2nd Level (Transition Years): Team starts to show potential and the GM thinks they are closer to competing when they really are not. These are the years where GM's make so many mistakes. These are years where you go through up/down momentum but you should still be trying to add draft power, not trading it away for 28-30+ year old players. Do not set a timeline. Monitor it year/year and ensure you spend a lot of money in player development.

3rd Level (Contending Years): This is when most of your core is in the age 25-30 range. Look at how long Tampa and the Avs were considered contenders before they actually won cups? These are the years you should be trading futures to fill holes.

Miller trade as a rental would have returned a lot. Missed opportunity and now you got a 30+ contract at a time where another reset/retool is coming?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Either all in or all out is hard to do, Teams have to sell tickets and put good players on the ice. Vancouver wants more speed and to play faster but they have a number of players that they can move for not only cap space and possible prospects and picks. Boeser, Horvat can return nice assets but why trade mid 20's players who can be part of a good roster with some modest moves. But if not a cup contender now then I see the thinking in a transition to a different roster in a couple years. Miller signing was just out of place for that AAV and length. He needed to be a trade and sign to maximize his return last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad