Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire F Matthew Highmore for F Adam Gaudette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What does that mean? We both watched him play and he has had opportunities to play on wing past 3 seasons. He can't take face-offs so he only plays center when Sutter/Beagle are out.

Is he supposed to be a top 9 winger, because he isn't better than our top 9 wingers, so he's a 4th liner but he's poor at face-offs/killing penalties/defense. Highmore checks all those boxes better than Gaudette and he's a cheaper player.

Lind and Gadjovich are taking Gaudette's job get over it it's a cycle of life.
Agree to disagree. He’s a cheaper player because he’s a fringe player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
No dude I mean you literally can't sign a player in free agency for less money than Highmore. It's a $25,000 difference between $725,000 and $750,000.

But yea they are both fringe players, I won't disagree with that. Like Chilibilly said, both players likely amount to nothing, but we save money!

Last edited:

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
But yea they are both fringe players, I won't disagree with that. Like Chilibilly said, both players likely amount to nothing, but we save money!
I should’ve added our current head coach seems to have this aversion to play individuals he’s not familiar with (leans on vets), which is understandable given he’s looking out to save his job.

One good thing (other than the draft pick we got) in dealing Benn, it means probably a guy like Joulevi will get more ice time (as Green will have less a choice now on who to use).

Highmore might run into the same problem. Green won’t use him unless he has no choice (because of injuries or whatever, etc.,).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Looking back now, Gaudette having solved his inability to put on weight should have given him a much stronger off season.

But he spent much of that developing his Twitch career.

I'm not saying that he can't have free time on his own, but I would much rather see a player put that time in the gym to eat and put on muscle, then connecting with fans and develop his gaming skills.

I am just not sure how much Gaudette was dedicated with how many hours he streamed.

Heck, he streamed while he was in the playoff bubble.

uhhhh him playing twitch has less than. 0% on his poor season.

These guys are machines, they grind, workout, and have full schedules basically organized for him.

Him playing COD is the reason for his poor year is asinine.

people unload differently, not everybody needs to go on long walks along the beach to relax.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly if this is the case along with nobody bothering to wish him well I'm pretty disappointed in Canucks "leadership". Show some professionalism and wish him the best even if you don't mean it. This franchise was fine hyping Gaudette up and selling his jerseys, now it turns out they have their own little cliques and high school level drama. Pathetic leadership from Bo if this is the case.

Horvat absolutely hates gamers, guy thinks oldschool, which is fine.

its pretty obvious there was a rift with gauds and the team, nobody here knows why.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Highmore is going to be Brandon McMillan. They will give him inexplicably high ice time totals just because they acquired him, while they insisted on trying to turn Adam Gaudette into a checker rather than playing to his strengths.
Other teams pump and dump their own assets. Jim acquires dumps and then pumps the other teams dump. Rinse/repeat.

It’s depressing.

Reactions: Samzilla

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Highmore is going to be Brandon McMillan. They will give him inexplicably high ice time totals just because they acquired him, while they insisted on trying to turn Adam Gaudette into a checker rather than playing to his strengths.
Some of its on the player as well. Look at Jared McCann. Not really a great checking center but often used in that role & I think he's somewhat passable when used that way (or at least not horribly bad). Looks like he'd be a better offensive winger with his shot. I think he's kind of like a much higher end Adam Gaudette in that way. But he's improved (defensively) to the point the Pens not only traded for him but re-signed him. Course when he starts getting expensive, the Pens will unload him just like when Bonino got too expensive. Pens tend to allocate more cap money to their core vs supporting cast players.

Last edited:

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Hobey Baker Award winners, who had 33 points last season, generally have a higher ceiling than free agent signing's who have yet to show any offensive ability. There are at least a couple of hundred players with the same ability as Highmore....and you would not have to give up a Hobey Baker Award winner to secure!

Reactions: Hit the post

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
because he was a healthy scratched for the majority of the games in the bubble. and sutter was moved back to 3c.

That is not an excuse. If you aren't playing, then you should be putting in extra work to impress your coaches and let them know that you are ready to come in.

It's the god damn Stanley Cup playoffs.

Reactions: Get North

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
uhhhh him playing twitch has less than. 0% on his poor season.

These guys are machines, they grind, workout, and have full schedules basically organized for him.

Him playing COD is the reason for his poor year is asinine.

people unload differently, not everybody needs to go on long walks along the beach to relax.

Playing video games is one thing.

Having a Twitch, restreaming, and making sure everything is working, OBS, alerts, all the other things are another.

Twitch isn't something that someone can just casually turn on without spending time learning about how it works.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
All I know is the same people here calling Gaudette a useless fringe people either

A. Would constantly include Gaudette as a big success piece of drafting under Benning
B. Justified the Madden trade where we dealt our best C prospect because of Gaudette.

Or both.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
All I know is the same people here calling Gaudette a useless fringe people either

A. Would constantly include Gaudette as a big success piece of drafting under Benning
B. Justified the Madden trade where we dealt our best C prospect because of Gaudette.

Or both.
That's not 100% true.

I didn't think Gaudette would ever amount to much and was one of the players I thought should've been moved sooner and I also thought it was stupid to trade Madden and Gaudette was poor justification for the move.

I don't mind moving Gaudette now as I don't think he'll be a top 9 contributor on an above average team, but to trade him for a talentless plug is just silly.

There really is no justification for the terrible handling of the asset or the trade target, but I don't see Gaudette as a loss and I think I'll enjoy watching somebody else play here next season. It sure looks funny that Pearson gets extended for 11 points in low end 1st line usage and Gaudette gets 3rd/4th line usage and has 8 points is a failure of expectations.

Reactions: m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Or both.
Any time a player drafted in the 5th round even sees the NHL is a success story...We all had high hopes for the player, until he wasn't improving, and his play started to unravel..(last years playoffs, and this season..a very short window)..
We're you telling us all along that Gaudette was a useless fringe player.?...sounds like you're doing a bit of 'spot' picking here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's not 100% true.

I didn't think Gaudette would ever amount to much and was one of the players I thought should've been moved sooner and I also thought it was stupid to trade Madden and Gaudette was poor justification for the move.

I don't mind moving Gaudette now as I don't think he'll be a top 9 contributor on an above average team, [/b]but to trade him for a talentless plug is just silly.[/b]

There really is no justification for the terrible handling of the asset or the trade target, but I don't see Gaudette as a loss and I think I'll enjoy watching somebody else play here next season. It sure looks funny that Pearson gets extended for 11 points in low end 1st line usage and Gaudette gets 3rd/4th line usage and has 8 points is a failure of expectations.

Bolded is where I disagree.

The handling of Gaudette - as you say - has been abysmal. Both in terms of how he's been developed as a player and in terms of how the value of the asset was managed, it's been a disaster. To end up trading this asset for a Matthew Highmore is a terrible result.

However, once you've destroyed the value of the asset I have no problem with this deal as a vacuum. With the expansion draft coming - and Gaudette right on the fringes of protection - this player having an 8-point season has little value. Plus it seems highly likely that this move was forced by internal issues. And I'd much rather take a Highmore than a 6th round pick. For a forced trade for a guy with no value, this is fine. It's what they did to turn the Gaudette asset into a valueless asset that's the problem.

Reactions: CherryToke

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Or both.
Gaudette unquestionably was a big success as a 5th round pick who failed to develop as well as his initial play suggested. As far as displacing Madden goes, I don’t think the presence of Gaudette or any other roster player justified it.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Any time a player drafted in the 5th round even sees the NHL is a success story...We all had high hopes for the player, until he wasn't improving, and his play started to unravel..(last years playoffs, and this season..a very short window)..
We're you telling us all along that Gaudette was a useless fringe player.?...sounds like you're doing a bit of 'spot' picking here.
Except, a 5th Round choice would obviously come back to a Judd Brackett decision....so maybe that plays into this.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Gaudette being traded for a taxi level player is not what has most of us frustrated, although it is a clear win for Chicago and Bowman. Its that players that should/could have been traded were not.

I see Pearson as a Gaudette level player, but Pearson on likely a downswing with no upside left at this stage. Yet one was extended for 3.25M/yr, and the other traded for fodder. A GM that cannot evaluate talent properly as it relates to contracts is very dangerous. We might have been able to get out of this current cap hell he created, but he has been given free reign to double down even more.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Bolded is where I disagree.

The handling of Gaudette - as you say - has been abysmal. Both in terms of how he's been developed as a player and in terms of how the value of the asset was managed, it's been a disaster. To end up trading this asset for a Matthew Highmore is a terrible result.

However, once you've destroyed the value of the asset I have no problem with this deal as a vacuum. With the expansion draft coming - and Gaudette right on the fringes of protection - this player having an 8-point season has little value. Plus it seems highly likely that this move was forced by internal issues. And I'd much rather take a Highmore than a 6th round pick. For a forced trade for a guy with no value, this is fine. It's what they did to turn the Gaudette asset into a valueless asset that's the problem.
Why would you rather a contract moving into next season than a clean slate? Yeah the odds of the 6th likely never produces as much as Highmore has, but is that any kind of win? That thinking feels similar to being happy with getting granlund.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
One shouldn't forget we were only able to draft Gaudette because Gillis obtained an additional 5th round pick via dumping a player. Canucks used their own 5th round pick (a higher 5th round selection) to pick someone else.

Reactions: petka

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Nope, I always thought Gaudette could play a role on a secondary scoring line.

I didn’t have the same realization he needed to be used on the wing until 2019ish. I don’t think he’s grown in any single part of his game since he came to the NHL.

He’s now turned into a useless fringe player in the roles that they pigeonholed him into. He was bad at center and bad playing on the wing of some shitty sutter centered lines.

My problem isn’t that they traded him now; my problem is that they ruined his development and didn’t trade him after he had unsustainable percentages in soft minutes when his value was high if they weren’t going to try him in a role better suited for him.

Lame.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why would you rather a contract moving into next season than a clean slate? Yeah the odds of the 6th likely never produces as much as Highmore has, but is that any kind of win? That thinking feels similar to being happy with getting granlund.

I'd rather get a 3rd than Highmore. A 3rd is actual draft capital that has value and can be moved for something (see Schmidt). Likewise would have preferred a 3rd for Shinkaruk and he should have been worth at least that.

6th-7th rounders really aren't worth anything in trades and also basically never turn into NHL players, and if you can get a youngish bottom-6 guy on a league minimum contract who has shown he can be a quality NHL player in the bubble last year, that's a much better option.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Gaudette unquestionably was a big success as a 5th round pick who failed to develop as well as his initial play suggested. As far as displacing Madden goes, I don’t think the presence of Gaudette or any other roster player justified it.
Don’t bullshit in the second part of it. My point was that people on here justified it because of Gaudette - not that it was the reasoning from the front office. It’s also on twitter in basically every thread from the day of the Toffoli trade.

But I’ll entertain your strawman anyways.

Who do you think he’s referring to here? There’s literally only three centers he could have been referring to (Gaudette, Lind, Focht).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People are disappointed in the organizations asset management. Not understanding that feels like being intentionally obtuse. It's not about losing Gaudette....or Shinkaruk....or Biega....or Stecher.....or Hutton etc etc It's about the thought process, that leads the actual process, in which there isn't a discernable process, but ultimately ends in diminished assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00