Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire F Matthew Highmore for F Adam Gaudette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Dude’s wife sounds like a piece of work.

Those anti mask Instagram stories, how ironic.

no wonder gaudette performed so poorly here. Too busy being an Instagram photographer for his girl.
did she rly post anti mask stuff on instagram?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ok maybe Gauds alienated himself....but who needs to know that outside the organization.

We need to stop trading for guys who have "untapped potential" because we've failed to tap anything from anyone but Motte.

I mean Highmore has struggled to produce at the AHL level....his 0.66 AHL PPG vs Gaudettes 0.75 AHL PPG isn't that promising. Gaudette almost has as many points this season as Highmore has in his entire career. And he's a year older. Absolutely brutal.
Highmore is a fourth line grunt, PK guy. He is not expected to put up points to contribute. Gaud has to put up points or he does nothing else to help the team. What I hate about this trade is the timing. Gaud should have been moved two years ago. Benning needs to get off these players a lot sooner. He needs to do like was done the him on the Bartchi and Vey trades - get taken. But that has to happen early in a player’s development curve. We knew
Gaud was skinny and not skilled enough to make up for that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
did she rly post anti mask stuff on instagram?

I don’t know her name.

I just remember one of these tweets showing up in my feed that someone had screenshots of her stories and somebody I follow commented on and essentially pointed out how ironic it was.

I remember they were about herd immunity type stuff, and some constitution BS about being refused service, which is even funnier considering this isn’t the US.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Looking back now, Gaudette having solved his inability to put on weight should have given him a much stronger off season.

But he spent much of that developing his Twitch career.

I'm not saying that he can't have free time on his own, but I would much rather see a player put that time in the gym to eat and put on muscle, then connecting with fans and develop his gaming skills.

I am just not sure how much Gaudette was dedicated with how many hours he streamed.

Heck, he streamed while he was in the playoff bubble.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
His wife seems like a work of art. This is the first time in a while where a wag has had such an influence on a Canuck's life lol

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t know her name.

I just remember one of these tweets showing up in my feed that someone had screenshots of her stories and somebody I follow commented on and essentially pointed out how ironic it was.

I remember they were about herd immunity type stuff, and some constitution BS about being refused service, which is even funnier considering this isn’t the US.
Sounds like good riddance to bad rubbish.

Reactions: Breakers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
In all honesty

I can see gaudette breaking out

but it sure won’t happen in Chicago
They get caved in defensively as much as we do.

I’m sure he’ll have bump in his scoring once he arrives in chi-town and people will freak out.
Long term he’ll come back to down to reality to the same numbers here.

god a pick would have been nice. Literally any round.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
All in all this is trivial. Gaudette was not doing much. This trade is meh. Would have been nice to get a draft pick, but i just got no sense of urgency from Gaudette. I think both players involved will be inconsequential in their futures ....

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
All in all this is trivial. Gaudette was not doing much. This trade is meh. Would have been nice to get a draft pick, but i just got no sense of urgency from Gaudette. I think both players involved will be inconsequential in their futures ....
Sure but as I said earlier, the chances of that happening to one player is significantly higher (my opinion) over the other. Waste of a contract slot imho. Sooner just lose him to free agency than pick up an even greater fringe player signed thru next season.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Oh, agreed. This all started when he was rushed up here in 18-19 to sit in the pressbox/play 7 minutes/game when they could have called up Tanner Kero and had Gaudette playing 20 minutes/game in Utica learning how to be a pro, playing high-leverage defensive situations, getting some PK experience etc.

Our player development under Benning has been revolting. Have we developed anyone? Basically you are either a top-10 pick who walks into the roster fully developed the instant you turn pro or you're screwed. There appears to be zero communication between management and the coaching staff when it comes to thinking long-term and putting people in positions to succeed.

There isn't.

This is a trash organization.

God help you if you get drafted by the Canucks.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
His wife seems like a work of art. This is the first time in a while where a wag has had such an influence on a Canuck's life lol

This. Obviously we’ll never know the extent I’d their relationship dynamic, but there does seem to be a connection IMO.

Per her social media she seems to be yet another aspiring Influencer/Celebrity wannabe type. Her Instragram profile refers to Gaudette as “Twitch Streamer/Hockey Player” in that order.

It might seem like a minor detail, but seems telling.

I get that for the younger generation of pro athletes building a brand from day 1 and social media presence/alternative revenue streams is becoming the new norm. That’s fine, some of the top young stars today are in to that.

In the case of the Gaudettes, it does seem a little bit different?

Last edited:
Reactions: wonton15

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Sure but as I said earlier, the chances of that happening to one player is significantly higher (my opinion) over the other. Waste of a contract slot imho. Sooner just lose him to free agency than pick up an even greater fringe player signed thru next season.
let the kid play a game before you judge him

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Oh, agreed. This all started when he was rushed up here in 18-19 to sit in the pressbox/play 7 minutes/game when they could have called up Tanner Kero and had Gaudette playing 20 minutes/game in Utica learning how to be a pro, playing high-leverage defensive situations, getting some PK experience etc.

Our player development under Benning has been revolting. Have we developed anyone? Basically you are either a top-10 pick who walks into the roster fully developed the instant you turn pro or you're screwed. There appears to be zero communication between management and the coaching staff when it comes to thinking long-term and putting people in positions to succeed.

This. Ultimately performance does come down to the player, but I did not love his development or lack thereof by the organization.

18-19 season was a wasted year of development. The handling of Demko and Rathbone (hopefully) for example, is what you should do for non-1st picks but with high potential but need more seasoning and adaptation to the pro game.

His skill set as advertised is better suited for the top 6/middle 6, if they did see him as a centre he should have been playing 1C all situations in Utica since he wouldn’t be supplanting Horvat or Petey.

If they had decided he might be a better winger, then they should have adjusted his development to move to that position (eg play the PK in Utica).

Again not to say he was a slam dunk prospect, but he has some potential.

It just seems from the organization like there wasn’t a plan i) what his long term role was; ii) from a development standpoint how to get from point A to point B.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
What really boggles my mind about the deals is that we didn’t trade him for a dman to expose but instead traded down in the draft to pick up a dman to expose.

if you know you need a dman to expose in the draft why not trade gaudette for him instead of some 3rd liner ahler.

Just boggles my mind

Reactions: m9 and rypper

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Despite all the vehement denials by Benning and some of the sycophantic members of the mainstream media in Vancouver, Eliot Friedmann is reporting that indeed the COVID outbreak was a major factor in Gaudette's departure from VanCity.

It's been hinted that some members of Canucks are bitter that one of their own brought the virus into the dressing-room and infected the entire team and their immediate families. So when Gaudette's wife took to Twitter to excoriate some of those on 'Twitterverse' who were blaming him, she might have been aiming a stray bullet or two at the team.

If that's the case then dumping him for Highmore makes some sense, if that's all they could get. Sounds like the market wasn't very bullish on Gaudette. I hope he resurrects his game in Chicago....certainly his defensive deficiencies won't be as big an issue with the Hawks who play it loose and fast.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Hm. Haven't learned from a second for Vey. A second for Baertschi. McCann and a second for Gudbranson. Madden and a second for a month long rental. Now Gaudette for a healthy scratch.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he is learning. Maybe he's playing "how can I consistently drain all value from my drafts".

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Highmore is a fourth line grunt, PK guy. He is not expected to put up points to contribute. Gaud has to put up points or he does nothing else to help the team. What I hate about this trade is the timing. Gaud should have been moved two years ago. Benning needs to get off these players a lot sooner. He needs to do like was done the him on the Bartchi and Vey trades - get taken. But that has to happen early in a player’s development curve. We knew
Gaud was skinny and not skilled enough to make up for that.
so should we move Lockwood Rathbone Woo and Lind now or wait? And what would be a reasonable return?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Kid is 25 years old.:laugh: I would make a bit of an allowance if he were a defender.
Highmore is signed for less than the league minimum next year. Waste of a contract slot? You can't sign a player cheaper than him next season!! And he had more points than Gaudette in the playoffs. Maybe you hate the trade because Benning is doing Aqulini a favour?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Highmore is signed for less than the league minimum next year. Waste of a contract slot? You can't sign a player cheaper than him next season!! And he had more points than Gaudette in the playoffs. Maybe you hate the trade because Benning is doing Aqulini a favour?
meh, how many points were against the Oilers. How about taking a longer sample size look at either of their NHL careers to date. It is a waste of a contract slot if he`s a nothing special undersized undrafted 25 year old 4th line winger.

Not to mention, one of the guys is often assigned to a role where he is horrible at (checking center) unlike the other guy who is almost exclusively used as a winger in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Looking back now, Gaudette having solved his inability to put on weight should have given him a much stronger off season.

But he spent much of that developing his Twitch career.

I'm not saying that he can't have free time on his own, but I would much rather see a player put that time in the gym to eat and put on muscle, then connecting with fans and develop his gaming skills.

I am just not sure how much Gaudette was dedicated with how many hours he streamed.

Heck, he streamed while he was in the playoff bubble.

because he was a healthy scratched for the majority of the games in the bubble. and sutter was moved back to 3c.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
meh, how many points were against the Oilers. How about taking a longer sample size look at either of their NHL careers to date. It is a waste of a contract slot if he`s a nothing special undersized undrafted 25 year old 4th line winger.

Not to mention, one of the guys is often assigned to a role where he is horrible at (checking center) unlike the other guy who is almost exclusively used as a winger in the NHL.
What does that mean? We both watched him play and he has had opportunities to play on wing past 3 seasons. He can't take face-offs so he only plays center when Sutter/Beagle are out.

Is he supposed to be a top 9 winger, because he isn't better than our top 9 wingers, so he's a 4th liner but he's poor at face-offs/killing penalties/defense. Highmore checks all those boxes better than Gaudette and he's a cheaper player.

Lind and Gadjovich are taking Gaudette's job get over it it's a cycle of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad