Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire F Matthew Highmore for F Adam Gaudette

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes but how many poor asset management decisions can one GM get away with in 7 years?? How does he still have this job??
Ask Aquilini?

I'm not campaigning for more Jimbo. I would be excited to have a smart experienced President step in and make a smooth transition to take us from mistake prone painful and careless to precise articulate and calculated.

Gaudette had moved closer to a waiver player than a top9 since last year at this time. I'm not sure he had any value outside of a package or maybe a late pick if they were patient. If he truly did upset a few guys in the room and it's likely he did i could care less he's gone and it shows good leadership from Travis and Jimbo.

And i'm sure someone will freak out because i'm now defending the move but he truly was no better than Derek Pouliot was for us so the value is in respect more than a spare part if that's the case.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The best players that have developed here under this front office are Stecher and Tyler Motte and Stecher was pretty good right out of the box too.

This org tanks players values than don't enter the league as stars.

As I've said a few times, this team is constantly on a short-term plan to compete just well enough to save the jobs of management/coaches for the following season. And it dictates policy in so, so many ways.

It's why they prioritize getting players back instead of picks in deals, because the picks can't help now.

And it's why they're never looking to take the lumps on giving a non-elite young player responsibility and playing them up the roster in positions to succeed. If some veteran reclamation project can be 1% better and not make a mistake, that player will get priority. And it's even better yet if you eliminate developing depth players at all by overspending for established veteran depth guys in UFA.

The development we've done internally with our own homegrown players under Benning has been revolting. Plus on top of that they basically didn't even bother to try developing any of the guys they inherited when they took over.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The way Horvat was handled was absolutely brutal, but sometimes guys have the ability and character to pull through being mis-handled like that.

They absolutely buried him in 15-16 before he was remotely ready to handle the minutes he was given and it would have broken lesser guys. I can also still remember Willie *complaining* when Horvat went on a nice offensive streak late that season because he 'wasn't playing his game' as a low-event defensive player.

Was the way Horvat was handled quite different from how Kesler was handled (after Kesler was rushed that is)? Both came with defensive pedigree and was given defensive roles to start. You can't always put young players in the best position to succeed when there are limited roles and opportunities. You got to earn your opportunities too.

The complaining is such a nothingburger. Almost every coach has tried to be less complimentary of certain players when the media tries to hype things up. It's the "I'm not going to be overcritical after a win but..." type of comment.

Reactions: sting101

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Was the way Horvat was handled quite different from how Kesler was handled (after Kesler was rushed that is)? Both came with defensive pedigree and was given defensive roles to start. You can't always put young players in the best position to succeed when there are limited roles and opportunities. You got to earn your opportunities too.

The complaining is such a nothingburger. Almost every coach has tried to be less complimentary of certain players when the media tries to hype things up. It's the "I'm not going to be overcritical after a win but..." type of comment.
What? Isn't that the way to best develop players, putting them in situations to Succeed? Hell, imo, it’s the coaches’ and organization’s bloody job to put all their players in the best circumstances to succeed.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
rick Dhaliwal reporting earlier today, 'ive heard that something happened with gaudette over the past few months where the organization soured on him" a few guys on the team unfollowed him on instagram wheres theres smoke theres fire. horvat petey. nobody wished him good luck or anything.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Horvat had but 5 games in the AHL. Kesler had well over a season worth of time in the AHL.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
The way Horvat was handled was absolutely brutal, but sometimes guys have the ability and character to pull through being mis-handled like that.

They absolutely buried him in 15-16 before he was remotely ready to handle the minutes he was given and it would have broken lesser guys. I can also still remember Willie *complaining* when Horvat went on a nice offensive streak late that season because he 'wasn't playing his game' as a low-event defensive player.

heh, yeah, then Willie D and Jethro said they were protecting Horvat by giving him the toughest defensive minutes on the team. They didn't want to burden him with the pressure to create offense.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Asset management-wise it was terrible.

But Gaudette was underwhelming. Did not see any improvement on the defensive side over his course with the team and he is not physical at all. He would probably never be good in the bottom 6 - but I agree he still has the upside to develop into an ok top 6 winger if the other 2 carried his line. And am not saying this because he was traded; I wouldn't have been sad to see him claimed by Seattle. I actually think Pearson is a superior player (though not at his salary).

Maybe Highmore has something to give in a 4th line role. Bieksa and Versteeg on SN were talking him up. I remember that at the time everyone hated the Vanek-Motte trade, but actually Motte brought more than expected.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
There's not an archive up, from what I can tell, but here's Friedman's thoughts on the situation, as transcribed by me, in his latest 30 Thoughts Podcast.

"I don't want to disagree with Ian (MacIntyre), because he's my teammate, but I think the last few weeks has put an enormous strain on the franchise. One agent says that some of players think the coverage was overblown and other players say it is very serious and are quite unhappy. It's hard to believe that the past few weeks didn't accelerate an already unhappy player's departure."

Just listened to this myself and he definitely seemed to be trying to be very careful about the Gaudette being patient zero hurting his situation rumor. I can definitely get onboard the idea he put forward in that it's probably a truth is somewhere in the middle scenario.

My general thought like a large majority will still be I'm not happy about the return from a Canucks POV, but I wish Gaudette the best in Chicago.

Reactions: Vector

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
There's not an archive up, from what I can tell, but here's Friedman's thoughts on the situation, as transcribed by me, in his latest 30 Thoughts Podcast.

"I don't want to disagree with Ian (MacIntyre), because he's my teammate, but I think the last few weeks has put an enormous strain on the franchise. One agent says that some of players think the coverage was overblown and other players say it is very serious and are quite unhappy. It's hard to believe that the past few weeks didn't accelerate an already unhappy player's departure."
This is probably the most significant reason for the trade rather than an interest in Highmore now that I think of it. It sucks for the team to have conflict because COVID is such a rare situation, lots of different opinions. But, if trading Gaudette solves the locker room issues you gotta do it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What? Isn't that the way to best develop players, putting them in situations to Succeed? Hell, imo, it’s the coaches’ and organization’s bloody job to put all their players in the best circumstances to succeed.

Yes but you can't gift a top 6 spot to every prospect who has to produce offensively to stay in the NHL. It's even harder to insulate players when the team isn't very good. In the case of Horvat, the team wanted Horvat to develop into a player capable of playing the hard matchup minutes so in theory you're actually giving him opportunities to play that role. On the side of the coin, I don't think playing Goldobin next to two Selke calibre star players isn't going to help him develop defensively. The NHL isn't a developmental league and player development is an inexact science. Sometimes it's better to insulate the player and other times it's better to throw that player into the fire. Crow threw the Sedins out on the 2nd unit PP without fail and was criticized for it. How much did that help their development? Fair or not, Horvat was forced to earn his minutes. He started on the 4th line and was told to concentrate on playing well defensively. He moved up the lineup partly due to his play and partly because there wasn't much competition. Would he have fared better if he started out on the wing playing in the top 6 then moved to a sheltered C role in his second year?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
rick Dhaliwal reporting earlier today, 'ive heard that something happened with gaudette over the past few months where the organization soured on him" a few guys on the team unfollowed him on instagram wheres theres smoke theres fire. horvat petey. nobody wished him good luck or anything.
Apparently, he asked for a trade after the Canucks run in the playoffs last year...Wasnt happy about being a healthy scratch.

Reactions: David71 and m9

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Would have been nice to get a pick or something as well, but I don't mind Highmore.

I feel like his style of game will fit in well with the team. It's also not surprising to see players like him take a leap in the late 20's.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

They are glad he’s gone, had a feeling his underwhelming shit was noticed by the team.

So I’m sure the core group was glad to see him go.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Apparently, he asked for a trade after the Canucks run in the playoffs last year...Wasnt happy about being a healthy scratch.

He wanted out. Coach didn't want to play him. Just really makes you wonder why he was brought back this year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Funny because he was literally point-less and looked to be a boy amongst men in the playoffs.
He played 3C in game #1 against Minny...we lost, and he looked panic stricken..Starting game #2, Green put Sutter back at 3C..we won...and Gaudette didnt play much after that.

Personally, given his lack of experience in the league, and his inability to play a 200ft game..the trade request seems a bit cheeky...imo

Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He wanted out. Coach didn't want to play him. Just really makes you wonder why he was brought back this year.
Probably because they were hoping he would improve..?...They had been shopping him to no avail since October.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ok maybe Gauds alienated himself....but who needs to know that outside the organization.

We need to stop trading for guys who have "untapped potential" because we've failed to tap anything from anyone but Motte.

I mean Highmore has struggled to produce at the AHL level....his 0.66 AHL PPG vs Gaudettes 0.75 AHL PPG isn't that promising. Gaudette almost has as many points this season as Highmore has in his entire career. And he's a year older. Absolutely brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad