Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The irony is unless he turns it on come playoff time, this may not be all that much of an exaggeration. Probably more in the 5.5-6M range ala Klingberg's 7M with Anaheim. Either way, he's almost certainly pissed away millions if the Calgary rumours are true.
c'mon now. this league always values centers, especially the best C available on July 1st. A team like Columbus, who is center starved, will come around and pay him more than his due. A short stint after the trade deadline will be overlooked.

some GM will get sold on his numbers between 2 100 point wingers and how he is a 1C. He'll perform as his is, a complementary 2C, and teeth will be gnashed about another of many overpaid UFAs.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's not played well, but I still think it's a good move at the time. Even if Lindholm ends up not working out, getting Kuzmenko off the books was a big win and gives this team big time flexibility in the offseason.
This is what I said all along. Vancouver fans argued Kuzmenko wasn't a cap dump during the process. He was, is and always will be. He's our worst forward and we have a bottom 10 forward group. I do enjoy his media availabilities though.

c'mon now. this league always values centers, especially the best C available on July 1st. A team like Columbus, who is center starved, will come around and pay him more than his due. A short stint after the trade deadline will be overlooked.

some GM will get sold on his numbers between 2 100 point wingers and how he is a 1C. He'll perform as his is, a complementary 2C, and teeth will be gnashed about another of many overpaid UFAs.
This is correct. You still have Pastor spelled wrong.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
This is what I said all along. Vancouver fans argued Kuzmenko wasn't a cap dump during the process. He was, is and always will be. He's our worst forward and we have a bottom 10 forward group. I do enjoy his media availabilities though.

This is correct. You still have Pastor spelled wrong.
you have lion spelled wrong

Reactions: Double Dion

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I wouldn't get your hopes up on Lindholm all of a sudden turning it up come playoff time, he's not a great playoff performer. I think if the Canucks go deep this year, move Lindholm to the 3rd line and use him purely as a shutdown center like William Karlsson last year. Having a strong third line has been such a factor in all the cup winners over the past decade.

He played 3C last night, it was one of the more noticeable lines

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He's not played well, but I still think it's a good move at the time. Even if Lindholm ends up not working out, getting Kuzmenko off the books was a big win and gives this team big time flexibility in the offseason.
Of course it was the right move. If you're in a firm playoff spot and have the opportunity to make your team better you do it. It's easy for fans to look into the future and not want to give up future assets, however windows are short and as a GM you need to make the team better now. If you don't that window may pass and you've given up an opportunity at a Cup run.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
you have lion spelled wrong
I even think you're right about Columbus. That's where I think he ends up too. He's got enough D to his game to survive between Gaudreau and Laine. Those 2 will open up lanes for him and he'll score 70 points again.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I even think you're right about Columbus. That's where I think he ends up too. He's got enough D to his game to survive between Gaudreau and Laine. Those 2 will open up lanes for him and he'll score 70 points again.
columbus will pay in the mid to high 8s. They have to pay a suck tax and a non-destination tax to get him to sign. Of course Johnny hockey will be in their ear. Columbus will crawl from cellar to mid mediocre as their defense and goaltending will still be bad.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
You’re the one getting worked up by some pretty innocent posts. Perhaps you are the one who needs an outlet? Crying about a “reaction” and then giving said reaction might not be the right response to said trolls.
Interesting take.

Do you feel like it’s been long enough to have a full view of this trade ?

Both Lindholm and Kuzmenko are garbage

The pick may turn out the only thing of value
Bruz is really boom or bust.

If he hits, Calgary has a home run on this. Even if the first turns into a good player, that’s the cost of doing business. iMO this trade is won or lost on if Bruz hits (for Vancouver) and for Calgary, if that first is decent return if it turns into a middle of the line up player jn a couple years (for a struggling player).

Calgary already won to be honest. The fact that Lindhom didn’t re-sign the monster deal he was offer is a home run.

Feb 19, 2018
I think the Canucks need to go out and get another player to play with Lindholm. A Toffoli type or a pure shutdown type. Once Joshua is Back things would look balanced out again on every line and gives you the option to run the lotto line.

Reactions: oceanchild

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
For what it's worth Kuzmenko has been by far our worst forward. Dryden Hunt is playing in the top 6 ahead of him. He's exactly what I said he was. The winner/loser won't be known until later. It could even be win/win. Lindholm was acquired for a playoff run. That hasn't happened yet. How we do in the trade comes down to the 1st and Brzustewicz. That would be known for 2-5 years.
That really is to bad, seems like a great guy and when he is on, he has these unreal hands and can really score. Lots has been made about expected regression and it’s true, but I expect him to keep a high shooting percentage over time based on where he gets his shots.

I think his confidence is shot and he needs to have a good summer. Would love to see him rebound next year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Interesting take.

Do you feel like it’s been long enough to have a full view of this trade ?

Bruz is really boom or bust.

If he hits, Calgary has a home run on this. Even if the first turns into a good player, that’s the cost of doing business. iMO this trade is won or lost on if Bruz hits (for Vancouver) and for Calgary, if that first is decent return if it turns into a middle of the line up player jn a couple years (for a struggling player).

Calgary already won to be honest. The fact that Lindhom didn’t re-sign the monster deal he was offer is a home run.
Yes and if Vancouver signs him anything close to what he wants is a big loss for them. Seriously, anything over 6M for 3 yrs is too much for him.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I think the Canucks need to go out and get another player to play with Lindholm. A Toffoli type or a pure shutdown type. Once Joshua is Back things would look balanced out again on every line and gives you the option to run the lotto line.

I think the guy they need to get is for Pettersson, Lindholm would look really good with Garland and Joshua. If the Canucks can get a pure shutdown guy, put them on the 4th line, like Dowd.

Toffoli or Guentzel, or both.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That really is to bad, seems like a great guy and when he is on, he has these unreal hands and can really score. Lots has been made about expected regression and it’s true, but I expect him to keep a high shooting percentage over time based on where he gets his shots.

I think his confidence is shot and he needs to have a good summer. Would love to see him rebound next year.

Kuzmenko had a nasty virus that kept him out of the lineup for a handful of games. He played on the 4th line for the starting half of the game he returned in, but was moved up when we needed scoring. He's had his ups and downs to be sure but he's certainly not been our worst forward.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I know we disagreed on this before. I do think he will shoot a high percentage. Meaning 12-15%. 30%? No one shoots that. I see a 25 goal ceiling on the player and likely closer to 20 goals. He also doesn't forecheck, turns pucks over and is bad defensively. For me he needs a sheltered role (Only Ozone starts). He can help you on the PP and in the shootout. 4th line minutes when he's in the lineup. That's a 2M player, not 5.5M.

He does seem like a good guy. But so are many of us here. That's only a factor if you can be at least better than an AHL callup. He hasn't been for us so far and I'd argue wasn't for Vancouver either.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I know we disagreed on this before. I do think he will shoot a high percentage. Meaning 12-15%. 30%? No one shoots that. I see a 25 goal ceiling on the player and likely closer to 20 goals. He also doesn't forecheck, turns pucks over and is bad defensively. For me he needs a sheltered role (Only Ozone starts). He can help you on the PP and in the shootout. 4th line minutes when he's in the lineup. That's a 2M player, not 5.5M.

He does seem like a good guy. But so are many of us here. That's only a factor if you can be at least better than an AHL callup. He hasn't been for us so far and I'd argue wasn't for Vancouver either.
Not this season he wasn’t, last year he was.

Right now, he needs to find his game. I do agree a regression had to come, hopefully we find he lands in a spot that keeps him as a productive top 6 winger or else he is headed back to the KHL. His defensive game just doesn’t work well enough to not be scoring.

Edit: he was at his best with Bruce Boudreaus free flowing lack of structure game plan. I think he has to think to work within a system and it doesn’t just flow for him.

Kuzmenko had a nasty virus that kept him out of the lineup for a handful of games. He played on the 4th line for the starting half of the game he returned in, but was moved up when we needed scoring. He's had his ups and downs to be sure but he's certainly not been our worst forward.
When he is on, he is fantastic and one thing that isn’t talked about enough IMO is his positive energy. Calgary is going through a transition period, that will be tough at times. This is a guy that will keep smiling, the team mates love and still gets excited to score. His good vibes are off the charts and I don’t care what anyone says, sometimes a team really needs that and it counts.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

While I agree with some of this he would be 3 years removed from his PPG season and the 5-6 million dollar range is probably the ceiling that any team will give him for an extended term.

I say this as someone who likes his game overall despite this season.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Yes and if Vancouver signs him anything close to what he wants is a big loss for them. Seriously, anything over 6M for 3 yrs is too much for him.
I would like us to re-sign him to be honest. I was in the $7m camp for a one year show you still have game contract. If this continues it will be a 1 year $4m show me you have game contract.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Yea he definitely has not been our worst forward. He came out of the gates hit and him and Huberdeau had some pretty instant chemistry before he got ill.

I’m fairly confident we are just seeing a repeat of Calgary acquiring Toffoli all over again. Struggled learning a new system which wasn’t helped by having an inconsistent role on the team. Our fans lined up to make embarrassing takes on Toffoli and the trade, some of who have already made an appearance in this thread. Then he gets an offseason/training camp with the team and a consistent role and he takes off. Kuzmenko has definitely flashed his skill plenty in his short time with us.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Yea he definitely has not been our worst forward. He came out of the gates hit and him and Huberdeau had some pretty instant chemistry before he got ill.

I’m fairly confident we are just seeing a repeat of Calgary acquiring Toffoli all over again. Struggled learning a new system which wasn’t helped by having an inconsistent role on the team. Our fans lined up to make embarrassing takes on Toffoli and the trade, some of who have already made an appearance in this thread. Then he gets an offseason/training camp with the team and a consistent role and he takes off. Kuzmenko has definitely flashed his skill plenty in his short time with us.
If him and Huberdeau can get some synergy going, that would be a huge win. He will be better next year, I think he will focus on what he needs to this summer instead of being an jnstagram star in Bali. Bali is amazing and I get it, but he should be with other hockey players this summer grinding.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Kuzmenko hasn't been that bad; he's been more or less as advertised. Bigger issue is Huska's love affair with Hunt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad