Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If I have a 15 year earning potential of roughly $100 million, I'd also pay $10m to not live in Calgary the whole time.
I'd expect that to be said about a city like Winnipeg, but not Calgary

And besides, you don't have to live there the whole time... there's a lengthy off-season - especially as a member of the Flames - that you can live anywhere else in the world

When you consider how much time is spent on the road during the season, you're probably looking at what... 120 - 150 nights in Calgary all year

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Ok. He could have wanted to play in Calgary then but not anymore.

Either way it doesn't matter, he's gone now and if it's true that he turned down 9.5x8 to keep playing in Calgary then it's pretty clear he didn't want to be there.
Not a fan of either team but when no one else will pay him that much this summer he might very well revisit what Calgary has to offer

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
I'd expect that to be said about a city like Winnipeg, but not Calgary

And besides, you don't have to live there the whole time... there's a lengthy off-season - especially as a member of the Flames - that you can live anywhere else in the world

When you consider how much time is spent on the road during the season, you're probably looking at what... 120 - 150 nights in Calgary all year
Bingo. Calgary is a fantastic city. Probably my second favourite in Canada after Victoria. Anyone trashing Calgary has simply never been there.

Also, Lindholm is from Sweden, so it’s not like the cold is unfamiliar to him.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Bingo. Calgary is a fantastic city. Probably my second favourite in Canada after Victoria. Anyone trashing Calgary has simply never been there.

It also seems incomprehensible to some that many people actually like the cold and snow. Calgary is currently -6 and sunny, who could ever bear that kind of terrible winter 🥶

Reactions: HitterD

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

I've been there many times, I like Calgary, but if I had a hundred million dollars I'd go somewhere else.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've been there many times, I like Calgary, but if I had a hundred million dollars I'd go somewhere else.
No doubt but its not as simple as that. You only get to choose cities who's teams are willing to pay that $100M and not every one of those cities has a clear advantage over Calgary in the player's eyes.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
No doubt but its not as simple as that. You only get to choose cities who's teams are willing to pay that $100M and not every one of those cities has a clear advantage over Calgary in the player's eyes.

I'm sure one team in California, New York, Vancouver, or Florida would offer that.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm sure one team in California, New York, Vancouver, or Florida would offer that.
You're gonna have to be a little more specific than "I'm sure". You've basically said there are 7 or 8 teams that would be willing to sign Lindstrom for the kind of $$ that he wants. Please give explicit examples showing how they can afford to do that.
Its easy to dream about pie in the sky but when push comes to shove options are often limited.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You're gonna have to be a little more specific than "I'm sure". You've basically said there are 7 or 8 teams that would be willing to sign Lindstrom for the kind of $$ that he wants. Please give explicit examples showing how they can afford to do that.
Its easy to dream about pie in the sky but when push comes to shove options are often limited.

Well for one, Vancouver is about to have 20+ million in cap space. Anaheim will have 20+m in cap space and they may trade two of their upcoming UFA top 6 fwds, San Jose doesn't seem to be committed to the tank yet and they're about to have a ton of space. Florida may look to Lindholm if they can't get a deal done with Reinhart.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well for one, Vancouver is about to have 20+ million in cap space. Anaheim will have 20+m in cap space and they may trade two of their upcoming UFA top 6 fwds, San Jose doesn't seem to be committed to the tank yet and they're about to have a ton of space. Florida may look to Lindholm if they can't get a deal done with Reinhart.
Vancouver has to sign Petterson and that will be expensive... expect $11m or more. They also only have two dmen that are signed past this season. Unless Lindholm lowers his demands considerably they won't be re-signing him. Anaheim, in the beginnings of a rebuild, isn't going to sign a 29 year old Lindholm who will turn 30 at the beginning of December next year. That would be insane. The same can be said about San Jose. Florida will get a deal done with Reinhart. He's been spectacular for them.

Lindholm's options are much more limited than you believe.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Not everyone wants to live in massive cities with vastly-overpriced real estate.

I live in Vancouver, but Calgary is a superior city. You couldn’t pay me enough to live in places like LA or NYC. I’d rather die.

Lindholm is from a town of 16,847 people, who who’s to say he’d even be comfortable living in places like that?

Reactions: Burkeocet

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It's also been said many times that Swedish players love Calgary. Lindholm talked it up so much he helped convince two of his best friends in Markstrom and Nordstrom to sign in Calgary, the former long-term.

In general Swedish players seem to love Calgary as much as they do Vancouver.

Reactions: Fig and Umingmak

gach

Aug 2, 2018
IMO, He looked where Calgary was heading (rebuild?) and didn't want any part of that. maybe Vancouver works out, maybe it doesn't. But I think he simply wants to sign with a contender.
You're probably right but what contender can afford him if he expects what flames supposedly offer him?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I could see Vancouver. I don't see Lindholm being fascinated with any of the other cities you listed. New York is a crap place to live. Florida maybe, but neither club has room there. LA doesn't have the space, the other California teams are garbage.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
12 games in, Lindholm has a pair of 2-goal games since joining the Canucks

He has 0 goals, 2 assists, and is -8 in the other 10 games

• Wow
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Not like he's playing bad, the team has had a few stinkers in that time frame. He's also been stapled to a struggling Pettersson.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Hasn’t quite found his place yet, but not as bad as those numbers suggest. But he’s played more like a bit more skilled Suter/Blueger than a difference maker

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Lindholm really pulled a Klingberg after all

You don't think this is a tad premature or dramatic.

Shifting a key piece of your top 6 often takes time for chemistry to find itself.

Part of why we made the trade a month ago was to afford us the time for some speed wobbles instead of making the deal at the deadline and then if it's not an instant gel you're suddenly out in the first round.

Maybe let's wait and see what happens before we do victory dances based on 'aDvAnCeD sTaTs' without context.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Lindholm really pulled a Klingberg after all

both Kent Wilson and Boomer are morons. It was obvious to anyone with a brain that Lindholm's struggles were because he was squeezing his stick too tightly. Guys that aren't putting in top effort aren't still elite defensively and always the first guy back to backcheck.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
both Kent Wilson and Boomer are morons. It was obvious to anyone with a brain that Lindholm's struggles were because he was squeezing his stick too tightly. Guys that aren't putting in top effort aren't still elite defensively and always the first guy back to backcheck.

Not only that, but they (likely purposefully to support their narrative) are posting Lindholm's last 12 vs the rest of the team's whole season, ignoring that the whole team has been average after the all star break.

He seems good positionally but his plus minus is horrible.

He was OI for 3 or 4 SHG that he can't be blamed for as he was the net front presence, so it's actually not as bad as it seems

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Not like he's playing bad, the team has had a few stinkers in that time frame. He's also been stapled to a struggling Pettersson.

He's having a hard time finding chemistry among a bunch of forwards. He was centering Arshdeep Bains and Connor Garland last night on the third line against Pittsburgh, and the line got completely dismantled.

I don't think Lindholm has been a complete write off though, he definitely has been decent on the defensive side of things. Looks good on the PK aswell. I just don't think he is accustomed to his team yet and the fluctuating of linemates. I think Lindholm needs more time with Pettersson and Hoglander in a top 6 role to really get comfortable and start to produce. The all Swedish line looked great for a couple of games.

I will remain patient before I start to freak out, but I can say one thing quite confidently. If Lindholm is looking for a retirement contract, it sure the hell won't be with Vancouver playing the way he is.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kent Wilson is a lot of things. Moron is not one of them. Boomer, sure.

He's having a hard time finding chemistry among a bunch of forwards. He was centering Arshdeep Bains and Connor Garland last night on the third line against Pittsburgh, and the line got completely dismantled.

I don't think Lindholm has been a complete write off though, he definitely has been decent on the defensive side of things. Looks good on the PK aswell. I just don't think he is accustomed to his team yet and the fluctuating of linemates. I think Lindholm needs more time with Pettersson and Hoglander in a top 6 role to really get comfortable and start to produce. The all Swedish line looked great for a couple of games.

I will remain patient before I start to freak out, but I can say one thing quite confidently. If Lindholm is looking for a retirement contract, it sure the hell won't be with Vancouver playing the way he is.
His work on the PK and faceoffs are the things I like best about him honestly. Those are the things he is elite at. He's just good at everything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad