Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
If I have a 15 year earning potential of roughly $100 million, I'd also pay $10m to not live in Calgary the whole time.
It's easy being a multi millionaire in any North American city. Just live in a nice area with big homes and gated communities. I'd rather have an extra 10 million and live in Calgary. Think of how much you'd travel anyways. It's really not a big deal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I have a 15 year earning potential of roughly $100 million, I'd also pay $10m to not live in Calgary the whole time.
You'd rather live where exactly? You're aware Calgary has been ranked a top 10 city in the world to live in for more than a decade straight right? It has the best fly fishing in the world, mountains are an hour away, crime rate that is lower than any other NHL city, more business opportunities than any Canadian NHL city and the strongest education system for kids in North America (Edmonton also) right?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You'd rather live where exactly? You're aware Calgary has been ranked a top 10 city in the world to live in for more than a decade straight right? It has the best fly fishing in the world, mountains are an hour away, crime rate that is lower than any other NHL city, more business opportunities than any Canadian NHL city and the strongest education system for kids in North America (Edmonton also) right?

BC'ers are very smug and arrogant when it comes to our province.

I've lived in BC my entire life but my young family is considering a move to Calgary. Sunshine and mortgage free sounds pretty nice to us.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Half of these points are irrelevant to someone earning millions of dollars per year.

Reactions: MaWa

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Half of these points are irrelevant to someone earning millions of dollars per year.
How exactly? Do wealthy people not like business opportunities, good education, fishing, mountains and low crime rates? Those sound like a lot of the things wealthy people like. Heck, multiple former NHLers now own fishing businesses. You know that if you're a Canucks fan as many of them are former Canucks.

I've lived in BC my entire life but my young family is considering a move to Calgary. Sunshine and mortgage free sounds pretty nice to us.
BC is without question the nicest province in Canada. Unfortunately policy decisions have damaged it pretty severely.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
How exactly? Do wealthy people not like business opportunities, good education, fishing, mountains and low crime rates? Those sound like a lot of the things wealthy people like. Heck, multiple former NHLers now own fishing businesses. You know that if you're a Canucks fan as many of them are former Canucks.

BC is without question the nicest province in Canada. Unfortunately policy decisions have damaged it pretty severely.
Business opportunities are much more in abundance in the US. They’re also much more likely post career.

Education, they’re in the nicest neighborhoods (which generally speaking have better public schools) and also have the opportunity for private school as well.

Mountains and fishing can also be found in lots of North America. Some places where it doesn’t hit ungodly lows.

Crime rates as well, they live in areas where this isn’t overly relevant

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

None of that matters because I have a hundred million dollars. I'd take 90m in Vancouver, Florida, New York or California and just fly somewhere with top fly fishing and live in a gated community. I'm not starting my own business because I play hockey for 100 million dollars. My kids can go to whatever fancy private school I want, because I have 100 million dollars so the public school system is irrelevant.

Calgary is great, I actually like it there, but if I'm making $8m a year in my 20's there's many places I'd rather be. Calgary is one of the top 10 most livable cities, but that doesn't matter if you're insanely rich, that only matters to the vast majority of people making 50k a year.

It's easy being a multi millionaire in any North American city. Just live in a nice area with big homes and gated communities. I'd rather have an extra 10 million and live in Calgary. Think of how much you'd travel anyways. It's really not a big deal.

It'd be nice to live in Vancouver, California, Florida, or New York if you're making 90 million instead of 100 million. When you have that much money you're just buying comfort and there's more rich people amenities in those places.

Is your name Elias Lindholm?

Nope, but apparently he didn't want to be in Calgary either.

Hey I like Calgary but I'd move there because it's affordable on my 100k a year salary, not because it's nice for 10m a year. The things you value aren't what people making 8m a year value. Lindholm doesn't have to deal with a mortgage in any city.

Wealthy people can have good business opportunities anywhere, good education anywhere, go fishing in the summer anywhere, and live in gated communities with low crime anywhere. That's appealing to us as people who make an average wage, but they can have the same opportunities anywhere.

Reactions: MaWa

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Business opportunities are much more in abundance in the US. They’re also much more likely post career.

Education, they’re in the nicest neighborhoods (which generally speaking have better public schools) and also have the opportunity for private school as well.

Mountains and fishing can also be found in lots of North America. Some places where it doesn’t hit ungodly lows.

Crime rates as well, they live in areas where this isn’t overly relevant
Agreed on the bolded. That's why I said Canadian cities.

On Education. You're flat incorrect there. Weak public schools in any Canadian province that has an NHL team are far stronger than even wealthy school districts in the US. It's not even close. It's like comparing the Stanley cup champs to a bad ECHL team.

Calgary has the best fly fishing anywhere in the world. Denver and Vancouver are the only markets with comparable mountain activity.

Crime rates are relevant. If you want to live close to downtown rinks like most entry level players do they are very important.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

He actually said he loved it here and was willing to stay. So apparently that's incorrect. They couldn't get a contract done before the deadline so he was traded.

Hasn't signed in Vancouver yet either, so his desire to be there isn't assured at all.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
None of that matters because I have a hundred million dollars. I'd take 90m in Vancouver, Florida, New York or California and just fly somewhere with top fly fishing and live in a gated community. I'm not starting my own business because I play hockey for 100 million dollars. My kids can go to whatever fancy private school I want, because I have 100 million dollars so the public school system is irrelevant.

Calgary is great, I actually like it there, but if I'm making $8m a year in my 20's there's many places I'd rather be. Calgary is one of the top 10 most livable cities, but that doesn't matter if you're insanely rich, that only matters to the vast majority of people making 50k a year.

It'd be nice to live in Vancouver, California, Florida, or New York if you're making 90 million instead of 100 million. When you have that much money you're just buying comfort and there's more rich people amenities in those places.

Hey I like Calgary but I'd move there because it's affordable on my 100k a year salary, not because it's nice for 10m a year. The things you value aren't what people making 8m a year value. Lindholm doesn't have to deal with a mortgage in any city.

Wealthy people can have good business opportunities anywhere, good education anywhere, go fishing in the summer anywhere, and live in gated communities with low crime anywhere. That's appealing to us as people who make an average wage, but they can have the same opportunities anywhere.
It's an interesting take. Do you know Calgary has the second largest community of retired NHL players living in it? Only Toronto has more. Not Vancouver, not Vegas, not Dallas. So I think you're wrong there. I know quite a few retired NHLers casually. More than 10. Only one of them doesn't work still and even he kind of sort of does with a podcast.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
He actually said he loved it here and was willing to stay. So apparently that's incorrect. They couldn't get a contract done before the deadline so he was traded.

Hasn't signed in Vancouver yet either, so his desire to be there isn't assured either.

For sure, he's definitely not 100% signed in Vancouver already, he's the third most important contract for the team to get done so it's very likely he walks.

As for the Flames, if he wanted to get ink to paper it would have happened, very rarely will players shit on the team that they played for on the way out. If he was really offered 9.5x8, it would be silly to turn it down or hold out for 10 if he wanted to be there.

It's an interesting take. Do you know Calgary has the second largest community of retired NHL players living in it? Only Toronto has more. Not Vancouver, not Vegas, not Dallas. So I think you're wrong there. I know quite a few retired NHLers casually. More than 10. Only one of them doesn't work still and even he kind of sort of does with a podcast.

Key word is retired, Calgary is a great place to retire, but as a player in my 20's, I'd like more.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
For sure, he's definitely not 100% signed in Vancouver already, he's the third most important contract for the team to get done so it's very likely he walks.

As for the Flames, if he wanted to get ink to paper it would have happened, very rarely will players shit on the team that they played for on the way out. If he was really offered 9.5x8, it would be silly to turn it down or hold out for 10 if he wanted to be there.

Key word is retired, Calgary is a great place to retire, but as a player in my 20's, I'd like more.
Depends. If you want to party with strippers sure. Calgary isn't your spot. If you're Blake Coleman with multiple school aged kids and a cowboys cheerleader wife at home? Calgary actually hasn't had issues getting top of market free agents at all. Surprising given our rink, owner and middling to bad teams we've had.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I dunno what he was offered and whatever the twitter accounts say they probably don't either. If he was offered that and turned it down good riddance to him and thank god because that would have been terrible deal. He's an 8 million dollar player on his best day.

FTR I would definitely take the most amount of money in the least amount of winter and with the least amount of pressure if I was an NHL FA. Other people I'm sure would think differently. Not everyone has the same priorities. LeBron left Cleveland, then he came back, then he left again. Tom Brady sold Ugg boots. Ronaldo is playing football in Saudi Arabia.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Depends. If you want to party with strippers sure. Calgary isn't your spot. If you're Blake Coleman with multiple school aged kids and a cowboys cheerleader wife at home? Calgary actually hasn't had issues getting top of market free agents at all. Surprising given our rink, owner and middling to bad teams we've had.

You don't have to party with strippers to enjoy living in a bigger city, also Blake Coleman has a career earning potential of 35 million, which is much less than Lindholm's potential earnings, like 70 million less.

edit: also, Lindholm's wife is a social media influencer and TV personality, so that's a big vote in favour of a bigger city

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You don't have to party with strippers to enjoy living in a bigger city, also Blake Coleman has a career earning potential of 35 million, which is much less than Lindholm's potential earnings, like 70 million less.

edit: also, Lindholm's wife is a social media influencer and TV personality, so that's a big vote in favour of a bigger city
My point is Lindholm signed in Calgary for the best years of his career. If he hated it he wouldn't have signed. Like he didn't in Carolina facilitating the trade here. Lindholm is a Swede, he's not an Adam Fox type of guy.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
My point is Lindholm signed in Calgary for the best years of his career. If he hated it he wouldn't have signed. Like he didn't in Carolina facilitating the trade here. Lindholm is a Swede, he's not an Adam Fox type of guy.

Yes but he was an RFA when he signed originally, he was never able to walk.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
He was an RFA when he refused to sign in Carolina. Tkachuk was an RFA when he didn't sign with us. He signed 4 UFA years here.

So Lindholm didn't want to be in Carolina even more than he didn't want to be in Calgary. It's a lot easier to suck it up and play somewhere you aren't stoked on when your lifetime earnings is like $5m.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So Lindholm didn't want to be in Carolina even more than he didn't want to be in Calgary. It's a lot easier to suck it up and play somewhere you aren't stoked on when your lifetime earnings is like $5m.
You make basis claims without evidence. The evidence actually directly contradicts what you've said. Not much point in posting with disingenuous people.

You don't like frozen wasteland?
Average annual temperature high in Toronto 12.2 C. Average annual temperature high in Calgary 12.8 C. Calgary gets chinooks. It's not Saskatoon, Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Reactions: HitterD

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You make basis claims without evidence. The evidence actually directly contradicts what you've said. Not much point in posting with disingenuous people.

Ok. He could have wanted to play in Calgary then but not anymore.

Either way it doesn't matter, he's gone now and if it's true that he turned down 9.5x8 to keep playing in Calgary then it's pretty clear he didn't want to be there.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Ok. He could have wanted to play in Calgary then but not anymore.

Either way it doesn't matter, he's gone now and if it's true that he turned down 9.5x8 to keep playing in Calgary then it's pretty clear he didn't want to be there.
It's not true. Not sure where you're getting that. His ask was 9M. Calgary according to Friedman and Seravalli was more than 1M off on his ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad