Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CBJ] Canucks acquire F Tyler Motte, Jussi Jokinen for F Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It looks like Utica gets a center. I guess that's good

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I said it in the main topic, but the Canucks pretty much got two cost-controlled NHL-ready U24 players today for scraps - that's a good thing. A 2nd or a 3rd for Vanek would have been good, but 4th and 5th round picks do not often become players, and Motte will play games next year. Motte is also younger than Gaunce and showed as much as Gaudette in college.

I don't know why anyone is even bothering to comment on Jokinen. He was a throw-in - probs a salary thing.

Yes, the Jokinen throw-in was "probs" for salary. Jim probs helped Columbus with their salary numbers on that one. So Jim gave something of value to CBJ, probs? And the "value" Jim got back in return is a 22 year old scrub AHL player. This is probs not an asset. It's waiver junk.

It's a tired point that's been recycled endlessly, but: the comparison to a draft pick does not hold. A 4th or 5th round pick has the potential to become something that you can say with (almost) complete certainty you will not get with Tyler Motte: a useful NHL player. A lot of NHL GMs understand this now, but not all of them!

Reactions: timw33 and MS

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
@Siludin

Motte and Leipsic being under 24 and cheap means nothing if they aren't good NHL players.

Motte's NCAA production means very little at this point when he can't crack the NHL and is barely a top six player in the AHL.

Columbus didn't need to move Jokinen to fit Vanek's salary or contract.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I said it in the main topic, but the Canucks pretty much got two cost-controlled NHL-ready U24 players today for scraps - that's a good thing. A 2nd or a 3rd for Vanek would have been good, but 4th and 5th round picks do not often become players, and Motte will play games next year. Motte is also younger than Gaunce and showed as much as Gaudette in college.

I don't know why anyone is even bothering to comment on Jokinen. He was a throw-in - probs a salary thing.

You know why they are cost controlled? Because they are borderline NHL players. Not because of their age.

You know what is much better? Take picks and sign free agents to fill fringe roles. Then you get "cost controlled" assets AND picks!

This is a brutal return because it just continues to confirm the wheel spinning this management team is in. Deadline day is when picks are given away like candy. Picks are what rebuilding teams need. This is the time to get picks NOT middling players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Same old, same old for Benning and the Canucks.....instead of draft picks, they acquire a couple of 23-something players who've so far not demonstrated they'll be anything more than bottom six forwards or depth call-ups from the AHL.
I mean Leipsic is now in his fourth NHL organization and Motte in his third.....undersized forwards who put up decent AHL numbers but haven't been able to translate their game to the NHL-level.....hands up anyone who thinks the Canucks pro scouting staff has a better read on these players than the NHL organizations that gave up on them?.....this 'rebuild thing' just keeps getting further away in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: Jack Burton

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I like Leipsic trade. We got younger.

Motte for Vanek im unsure. Only because weve had better success drafting over pro scouting.

However Motte is a dynamic player who is only a year older than Gaudette and had a bettet season at same age

As i said earlier Motte was the guy they targeted when Hamhuis was supposed to be dealt.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
At least we didn't give up a pick to get this guy. Honestly, that's about as optimistic as I can get about this horse crap trade.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
THIs is a disaster in every possible angle. I dont think even the biggest of the Benning boys can justify this TDL disaster. Just wtf what the wtf :rank:

But how :rant:

How

How did Benning get extended? Hes clearly here to destroy our team for a generation theres just no possible alternative

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
However Motte is a dynamic player who is only a year older than Gaudette and had a bettet season at same age
What should be taken away from this tidbit is that prospects are far from guaranteed to succeed in the NHL, regardless of their early success in lower levels. The fact that Benning got an extension because of guys like Gaudette still blows my mind.

Reactions: Jyrki21

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I like Leipsic trade. We got younger.

Motte for Vanek im unsure. Only because weve had better success drafting over pro scouting.

As i said earlier Motte was the guy they targeted when Hamhuis was supposed to be dealt.

So Gaudette isn't a guaranteed NHL star???

Oh shit ...

Reactions: vanuck and Jyrki21

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Even more pathetic than the servers on this site.

Par for the course for these idiots -- nobody should be surprised.

Hilarious that some posters insisted we'd be able to flip veterans for picks this past summer. Also hilarious seeing how many picks were exchanged over the last few days after Benning stating they were like gold and would be hard to come by. Only for you Jim, only for you.

I hope everyone who gave these guys their vote of confidence enjoys the next three years.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not thrilled with not getting a pick back. Especially when we take on a cap dump in Jokinen.

That said, no very little about Motte. Will reserve full judgment until I learn more about him. But initial response is "mediocre".

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Our scouts like these players????? Now we know the deals are trash.

Age gap plan is still fully in use.

Odd that Holm was wanted. Who knew he had a future? But I would put far more money on the Vegas teams ability to see talent than the hapless Benning.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Can't believe he couldn't even get a 4th for Vanek. The guy has 44 points...that HAS to be worth a 4th at the very least. Look at the picks that were traded, and especially how many.

He misread the deadline just like he did in the Hamhuis year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No one will give ole Jim picks eh?

No Jim, they won't give you picks because they know you will settle for 23/24 year old players who had good years in junior.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
couldn't even work in a conditional pick? Maybe Benning doesn't come off as a super savy negotiator so other GMs feel they can work him over in trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad