Post-Series Talk: Vancouver Canucks defeat the Nashville Predators 4-2

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
After taking a night to consider the series, that was one of the best coaching duels I've seen in a while. There were so many interesting adjustments over the series.

From Tocchet starting by line matching Lindholm to Nashville clogging up all the lanes and letting the Canucks cycle forever, to the Canucks adjusting by using the behind the net space, to the Predators playing the man behind the net, to the Canucks using that to pull their defense away from the front of the net.

This wasn't two anemic teams struggling to get anything going, it was two extremely well coached system teams.

I thought the same thing. There were effective adjustments made throughout this series on both sides. Excellent coaching.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
As dull as the series was at times the experience Canucks players gained probably equated to making them playoff vets now. Besides bubble Canucks hadn't played meaningful games in years. Hopefully the nerves are stable now and they can get back to their usual ways moving forward. Much credit to Preds from this being a building year to a bounce here and there to being from 2nd round. Brunette really has them playing to their strengths.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Pretty sure there were plenty of 'refs you suck' chants from Preds fans. Pp chances doesn't need to equal if one side is more deciplined. The last cross check was a cross check.
sure. with under a minute left in a tight game deciding the series where the refs had let them play and had not called a penalty on the preds. it was one of the more bizarre calls i have seen in a while.

and the stats don't support the idea preds fans had any legit complaints about reffing.

pps this series were 23 to 15 in favour of nashville. that is more than 1 extra pp per game.

pps the last 2 games when preds were facing elimination were 6 to 2 for nashville including a 4 minute double minor.

third period pps in the series were 7 to 1 in favour of nashville.

in game 5 the canucks took the lead in the third and 3 minutes later the canucks took a penalty which allowed nashville to tie the game (then they won)

in game 6 the canucks took the lead late in the third and 1 minute later the canucks took the penalty you mentioned with only 30 seconds left.

preds weren't exactly dainty in the series so these skewed numbers are a little surprising. the most you can say for the reffing is there certainly wasn't any even up game management on display. whether there were other kinds of game management happening you can draw your own conclusions.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Stellar goaltending from all sides, great defensive play, and a pretty physical series. Nashville has nothing to be disappointed about, it just as easily could have gone the other way. I don't know if I'd call the series exciting, but it was well played by Nashville, who looked as good as any team could in when being eliminated.

LVPs of this series came not from any actual players, but the officiating. I don't mean this as a biased fan butthurt that so-and-so got away with a bad borderline hit, but someone who saw ridiculous calls made on both sides, while much more fitting calls go ignored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad