Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CBJ] Canucks acquire F Tyler Motte, Jussi Jokinen for F Thomas Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I'd honestly love to have some GMs and analysts drunk in a bar and hear what they really think about Benning

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
No one will give ole Jim picks eh?

No Jim, they won't give you picks because they know you will settle for 23/24 year old players who had good years in junior.

Ding ding ding, the league knows they can get our players and picks for their scraps. But people will keep saying the slowly bleeding value in each trade you make has no affect in the grand scheme...well most management teams in the league pick up on that thing.

Just pathetic that we have to deal with this for another 3 years, i'm definitely not spending a dime on this organization unless there are major changes in organizational philosphy

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Vanek has proven he is not a good playoff player and no GM is gonna give up draft picks

I thought he would not get traded because nobody would want him

Yeah, it's not Benning's fault that no one wants the junk he signs.

Besides, he returned a 3rd rounder last deadline under nearly identical circumstances. I have trouble believing a competent manager couldn't have gotten a 5th rounder in return. But other GMs know Benning loves soon to be waiver eligible junk who are having disappointing pro careers, so that's all they're going to offer. Why give up a pick when you don't have to?

Reactions: vanuck

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, it's not Benning's fault that no one wants the junk he signs.

Besides, he returned a 3rd rounder last deadline under nearly identical circumstances. I have trouble believing a competent manager couldn't have gotten a 5th rounder in return. But other GMs know Benning loves soon to be waiver eligible junk who are having disappointing pro careers, so that's all they're going to offer. Why give up a pick when you don't have to?
I understand why rival GMs wouldn't like the optics of trading more for Vanek this year than he received last year, especially when they could have signed him August 30th of last year. Imagine the response by that opposing fanbase if their GM gave up a 2nd or a 2st for Vanek? I don't think Jim necessarily is a bad negotiator here - maybe he wanted Motte more than he wanted a 5th round pick. Motte is an example of a 5th round pick gone right - he has improved every season and had shown as much as Gaudette or Goldobin at the same respective ages. In fact, Motte has played more NHL games than Goldobin, though with slightly lower per-game production. Motte also plays Centre, though, and the Canucks need guys who can push for roster spots if the Sedins are gone this offseason too.

Reactions: Nomobo

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Really not sure what the problem is... looking at what got moved today, and the corresponding prices, and not sure what people were expecting in return for Thomas Vanek.

People seem to want picks, but unless they are high enough in the draft, they just don't make sense. What Benning got in return for a rental player, is an undersized NHL prospect with some upside. The comparables for Vanek just weren't moving, and there seems to be more restraint by GM's when it comes to parting with draft picks for pure rental players like Vanek.

Not saying that we should all rejoice, nor am I going to pretend that I am a sudden expert on the upside of Tyler Motte. But a 22-year-old, who has shown an ability to score in the NCAA, progress at the AHL level, and cracked Columbus' lineup this season, seems like a reasonable return.

I am guessing the alternative would have been to keep Vanek, or take a 5th or 6th or 7th round draft pick in exchange. Frankly, I am interested to see if this 22-year-old can develop into an everyday player.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Benning can get an undersized free agent with upside every freaking year if he wanted that. Or pluck them off of waivers in October. That type of player isn't a trade target on deadline day for a bottom 5 team (for the third year in a row). So yes a 5th round pick would be better. Even a 6th or a 7th. Better to have that pick and fill the tweener role in a variety of free ways.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Really not sure what the problem is... looking at what got moved today, and the corresponding prices, and not sure what people were expecting in return for Thomas Vanek.

People seem to want picks, but unless they are high enough in the draft, they just don't make sense. What Benning got in return for a rental player, is an undersized NHL prospect with some upside. The comparables for Vanek just weren't moving, and there seems to be more restraint by GM's when it comes to parting with draft picks for pure rental players like Vanek.

Not saying that we should all rejoice, nor am I going to pretend that I am a sudden expert on the upside of Tyler Motte. But a 22-year-old, who has shown an ability to score in the NCAA, progress at the AHL level, and cracked Columbus' lineup this season, seems like a reasonable return.

I am guessing the alternative would have been to keep Vanek, or take a 5th or 6th or 7th round draft pick in exchange. Frankly, I am interested to see if this 22-year-old can develop into an everyday player.
There’s so many thing wrong with this post, I can’t even...

Reactions: yvrtojfk

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I love this. For everyone who was happy when Benning was extended, I hope you really enjoy this. This "rebuilding" team has traded away a draft pick this year without acquiring any. At the deadline, while other teams stockpiled draft picks, Benning acquired a 34 year old forward, and two mid-20's forwards who haven't shown much of anything. :laugh:

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
This team is so embarassing.

Hands down vancouver is back to being the team with the worst future.
Have you seen the prospect pool and U24 player makeup though? I don't think that's objectively true.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Motte is 22 years old and 5-10 with .50 PPG at the AHL level... In fact, his only exceptional year was as a 20 year old on a stacked Michigan team that lost 8 games. Kyle Connor and Zach Werenski stirred that drink. Just not sure what they see in him. To me looks like a guy that may turn into Nic Dowd if things go right. What's the point?

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'd be willing to bet Benning was offered a 4th round pick and he turned it down for Motte because he's "further along in his development."

SMH

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I love this. For everyone who was happy when Benning was extended, I hope you really enjoy this. This "rebuilding" team has traded away a draft pick this year without acquiring any. At the deadline, while other teams stockpiled draft picks, Benning acquired a 34 year old forward, and two mid-20's forwards who haven't shown much of anything. :laugh:
who in the right mind would want Benning extended?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This team is so embarassing.

Hands down vancouver is back to being the team with the worst future.

As an outsider if you want to trade you last two first rounders let the oilers know. You guys might be shocked at their development by letting them develop in their homeland. Seen them both play this season and they are good. Toss in the guys you have already...your turn around could be like the leafs

Reactions: Nomobo

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
I've lost track of which happens more often — Linden condescendingly telling the fans that "there are no shortcuts" in a rebuild or Benning looking for every dumb shortcut he can possibly find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad