Raptors Discussion: v53 | Raps' hostage-free FA signings | Joseph/Carroll presser Thu 9th @10am ET/7am PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
What PF do you think are on the block though? Ibaka? Thunder are over the cap I believe and might want to free up some space. Durant a FA after next season and Ibaka and Westbrook FA the year after that.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Im excited for next year, good chance we get a pick around 5-8 and another one around 20. We need a PF bad and probably another SG/SF with those picks.
The top 4 is pretty solid atm with Brown, Skal, Simmons, Ingram being top 5 picks surely. Would love to grab Jamal Murray with the Knicks/Nuggets pick then like Malik Pope with our pick.

Also TRoss should be flipped with another piece for a young piece with potential, if he shows he has reached his ceiling. Maybe a PF like a Favours considering Utah has Gobert, Hood, Lyles.

Lowry / Murray / Joseph
DeRozan / Wright
Carroll / Bruno or Powell or Whoever
Favours / PP
JV / Bisack

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What PF do you think are on the block though? Ibaka? Thunder are over the cap I believe and might want to free up some space. Durant a FA after next season and Ibaka and Westbrook FA the year after that.

Nene, David Lee, Morris... Theres a chance it could be totally out of left field (more likely even). A Lou Williams type move.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Are these projections counting Ridnour as a Raptors player??

The contract is bigger than I thought it would be but Joseph is a good 2 way guard with a lot of potential and I think they seem him as the starter before that contract is up as well

No, it's pretty much assured that Ridnour will be bought out. If they do it soon, his money for next year is not guaranteed at all and he won't count for 1 cent against the cap.

So I guess a Sign and Trade is pretty much the only way we can get a PF now.

Wouldn't have to be a sign & trade. Could just be a regular trade (& trade :sarcasm) S&Ts are only for when one party is trading a player for whom they have bird rights so that they can give the player a better contract than he would receive on the open market from his destination team because of cap restrictions or max contract rules.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I love that we are signing quality players who are team first, defense first, and high IQ. Also all these players we are signing are from quality clubs (except for Bismack). Good to see some players from successful clubs choosing the Raps.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Nene, David Lee, Morris... Theres a chance it could be totally out of left field (more likely even). A Lou Williams type move.

Don't these guys all make big salaries? no way we could fit them in. Except maybe Morris but I think that ship sailed after Aldridge signed

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also any trade that puts the Raptors over the cap restricts them to trade values coming in of (I believe) 125% of outgoing money +$100,000. So if you were to trade just Ross and non-monetary assets, you could only take back a deal worth no more than about $4.5m.

that would price the Raptors out on Lee, Ibaka, Morris, Nene, and just about any other big-ticket PF that's being looked at here.

wulfio*

Im excited for next year, good chance we get a pick around 5-8 and another one around 20. We need a PF bad and probably another SG/SF with those picks.
The top 4 is pretty solid atm with Brown, Skal, Simmons, Ingram being top 5 picks surely. Would love to grab Jamal Murray with the Knicks/Nuggets pick then like Malik Pope with our pick.

Also TRoss should be flipped with another piece for a young piece with potential, if he shows he has reached his ceiling. Maybe a PF like a Favours considering Utah has Gobert, Hood, Lyles.

Lowry / Murray / Joseph
DeRozan / Wright
Carroll / Bruno or Powell or Whoever
Favours / PP
JV / Bisack

You're not going to get an equally young or younger piece than Ross who has more potential. You can get an older guy, who does his job well, whos maybe too looking for a raise on his next contract, and they want to go in a different direction with taking a gamble on someone who is younger and maybe has some untapped potential. But getting a better higher potential piece for our young piece that isn't developing makes no sense.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
One name that I have not seen mentioned around here (probably for good reason) is Carlos Boozer. If we are unable to trade for a legit starting calibre PF, maybe boozer could split time with 2Pat at the 4 spot. I don't imagine he will be looking for a ton of cash at this point in his career.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Too bad Trey Lyles didnt fall to us. He would fit in pretty well as a cheap backup to Patterson

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This team will not go far with out upgrading at PF. 4-7 seed in the conference and first round elimination.

OptimusReim

Jul 13, 2011
Also any trade that puts the Raptors over the cap restricts them to trade values coming in of (I believe) 125% of outgoing money +$100,000. So if you were to trade just Ross and non-monetary assets, you could only take back a deal worth no more than about $4.5m.

that would price the Raptors out on Lee, Ibaka, Morris, Nene, and just about any other big-ticket PF that's being looked at here.

That said, is Terrance Jones the only realistic possibility? Stein tweeted that Jones was the odd man out between him and D-Mo, and even said on draft night that he was likely to be traded, which obviously didn't happen. If he's still available, using the abundance of 1st round picks the Raps currently hold and thrown in with Ross, a deal seems possible. The lack of cap room this deal has resulted in doesn't leave the Raptors with too many alternatives at PF.

Last edited:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Sometimes a long and painful rebuild is necessary. Some of those franchises you listed have bright futures ahead.

I definitely think the New Orleans' rebuild was a success. They have possibly the best player in the NBA for the next decade and have become a playoff team in the extremely difficult Western conference. Minnesota has Towns, Wiggins and LaVine to build around, with another possible high pick next year.

If he can stay healthy. They also lucked out with him because nobody thought he was going to be as good as he has shown, especially his offensive game. Everyone thought he was going to be a game changing defensive monster but he's turned into such a great player, the kind that doesn't come around very often.

As for Minny they have been there before, remember Kevin Love? The grass is always greener or so the saying goes. If I were to compare any team in the league to Toronto and how hard they have it with their players and through free agency it's Minny, hell I would even say they have it worse off then us.

Toronto's biggest chip atm is wooing Wiggens in a few years, the prospect of coming home and playing for a championship in front of his home country is hopefully something that's appealing to him. Toronto never had star home grown talent before, not like James, Rose, LMA, etc, etc... Keeping the place relevant is huge imo and I think most people see the bonus to keeping this team relevant. Tanking or rebuilding at this stage is not an option for this franchise. not now, I am surprised you guys can't see that... I find it strange.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
What do you guys think the chances are that we end up seeing Carroll at the 4 and Ross starting at the 3?

Hopefully slim and none.

Ross has been so underwhelming so far in his career. He needs to play limited minutes off the bench until he proves he deserves more burn.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Very good perimeter defender, who had a ~15 PER last year in limited time. Has really improved his jump shot.

Think Jerryd Bayless, with better defensive skills.

Very good perimeter D? His D really fell off last year. He got lost on practically every single play that involved his man moving everywhere and running around screens. Off the ball, it was a lackadaisical nightmare. He's generally pretty good with on the ball on D, but even that showed cracks last year.

Offense wise, that 3 is all he has. He's really athletic, but has absolutely no handles and is insanely soft. Doesn't get to the line at all and barely draws fouls due to his fear on going inside and absorbing contact.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Very good perimeter D? His D really fell off last year. He got lost on practically every single play that involved his man moving everywhere and running around screens. Off the ball, it was a lackadaisical nightmare. He's generally pretty good with on the ball on D, but even that showed cracks last year.

Offense wise, that 3 is all he has. He's really athletic, but has absolutely no handles and is insanely soft. Doesn't get to the line at all and barely draws fouls due to his fear on going inside and absorbing contact.

Clearly he was talking about CoJo.

mikebel111*

He was talking about Joseph

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Clearly he was talking about CoJo.

He was talking about Joseph

image.jpg

My bad :laugh:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Just browsing thru realgm lol

Who will score all are points this year? Especially off the bench? I'm getting the impression we won't be lighting it up. Not that got us far in post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad