Raptors Discussion: v53 | Raps' hostage-free FA signings | Joseph/Carroll presser Thu 9th @10am ET/7am PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Joey the problem is we've seen time and time again that we are just not going to attract premiere free agents. You can build through the draft it just requires a couple shots at top 3-5 picks where you can land "franchise" players.

Just show me one example of a so called franchise player signing here in Toronto. You won't be able to.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Good to see Lou Will still keeping with the Raptor tradition of having no idea how to use Instagram (Amir excluded)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
There is a reason he was never offered that deal..... I am not sure why people would be mad at him for not signing back with the Raps... It's a blessing that they didn't bring him back.

I'd wonder if anyone actually was mad at him, or he just assumed that people were because one or two morons on twitter popped off at him. Any Raptors fan with half a brain knew that he might not be back, and most pretty much didn't care if he wasn't. Seems like manufactured drama so he can play him vs the world by going to the Lakers (boo hoo hoo, you didn't want me and you fans hated me. I'm going somewhere they'll like me again where I'll be respected. or some crap like that)

Social media makes for such fragile egos.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Second tanking and building through the draft isn't the same as it is in the NBA. Unless you get a franchise player you are still destin for a long and painful rebuild. Look at the Lakers, Look at the Wolves, Detroit, Even New Orleans and their saviour haven't really blown any ones socks off. Sacramento, Utah.

Sometimes a long and painful rebuild is necessary. Some of those franchises you listed have bright futures ahead.

I definitely think the New Orleans' rebuild was a success. They have possibly the best player in the NBA for the next decade and have become a playoff team in the extremely difficult Western conference. Minnesota has Towns, Wiggins and LaVine to build around, with another possible high pick next year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Reggie Jackson gets 80 mill. It'll take some time to wrap my head around this new cap/salaries.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...t-pistons-agree-five-year-80-million-contract

The new NBA:

tumblr_l619cbTMCH1qztjn5o1_500.gif

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'd wonder if anyone actually was mad at him, or he just assumed that people were because one or two morons on twitter popped off at him. Any Raptors fan with half a brain knew that he might not be back, and most pretty much didn't care if he wasn't. Seems like manufactured drama so he can play him vs the world by going to the Lakers (boo hoo hoo, you didn't want me and you fans hated me. I'm going somewhere they'll like me again where I'll be respected. or some crap like that)

Social media makes for such fragile egos.

In all fairness to him, on a percentage basis there's more moron Raps fans than any other Toronto sports team

In fairness to us, he does look like the damn Somali guy from Captain Phillips just deal with it

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Joey the problem is we've seen time and time again that we are just not going to attract premiere free agents. You can build through the draft it just requires a couple shots at top 3-5 picks where you can land "franchise" players.

Just show me one example of a so called franchise player signing here in Toronto. You won't be able to.

Lol but that's my point...... I never said we would land the prime time free agents. What I said was enjoy the next year or 2 of what we got... because if they trade Demar it's probably not for the same quality player back. And though Demar gets trashed a lot around here he's a good player. Not 25 million a season good but good none the less.

The point I was making was in the NBA for the most part teams that go the full on rebuild route end up getting stuck in that rebuild for many years with little to no improvement. They can't attract any good free agents and have to overpay for mediocre ones. Look at LA ffs.... look at the Kings . If you are lucky enough to land a player who can turn your team around through the draft that's awesome... but most teams use a bit of both.

And I disagree with the bigger names won't come to Canada.... I think the main reason is because of the fact that we have been a losing team for so long and it's going to take a little more of a winning atmosphere in order to change their minds.

You can agree or disagree but the fact remains true... if Toronto goes the rebuild route they are going to end up stuck in the cycle they had been for ages. and that's get a good young player who's good enough to keep you out of the top 5 but not good enough to make your team a winning team...

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that..... I just know that dismantling a team that is considered one of the best we ever had to go full rebuild would destroy this team for the next decade... kiss the wooing Wiggins etc when he becomes a free agent. And there are a lot more big name Canadian kids coming into the sport if the Raps are able to land one of the big names like Wiggins or that PG kid who just joined Kentucky or who ever it was... There is your star players... and that's when Toronto will start to attract more attention... but build that winning attitude create the atmosphere where these guys will want to sign down the road....

Nobody likes a loser... and though the raptors have had a **** post season this past year they are still recognized right now as a team that is a sure in for the playoffs every year. They are also looked on as a team trying to improve and one willing to spend money .... so keeping up appearances and showing these players we want to in is imo more important then any rebuild... and BTW I already mentioned we have a real valuable pick this season... it has potential to be top 5 with either the NY or Denver picks.... Right now we are in a golden position.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 1m1 minute ago
Sources: Cory Joseph and the Toronto Raptors have agreed to a 4-year year deal worth $30 million

Basically gave him Vasquez money while trading Vasquez for a future 1st and 2nd rounder. I'll take that swap.

I imagine he'll get similar playing time to Vasquez too and see CJ and Lowry play together with DeMar at the 3, Carroll at 4, JV at 5. He's a solid all-around player and hopefully he can continue improving on his 3 point shot like he has every year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 1m1 minute ago
Sources: Cory Joseph and the Toronto Raptors have agreed to a 4-year year deal worth $30 million

Basically gave him Vasquez money while trading Vasquez for a future 1st and 2nd rounder. I'll take that swap.

I imagine he'll get similar playing time to Vasquez too and see CJ and Lowry play together with DeMar at the 3, Carroll at 4, JV at 5. He's a solid all-around player and hopefully he can continue improving on his 3 point shot like he has every year.

Masai does it again.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
IIRC Raps are gonna be right up around the cap now if Biyombo is signed to the MLE. If I did the math right, and assuming Wright's deal is roughly slot for his draft position they're gonna have less than $1m left to spend. Though they still could use the Bi-Annual Exception for about $2.5m or wherever it will sit for this year. And they still have to sign Norman Powell if they want as well (no reason not to, really), but his contract would allow them to exceed the cap I believe.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Happy to have Cory Joseph here. I'm not sure if I am a fan of that contract though. He is still a young player though, so hopefully with increased playing time and a bigger role he will develop into a real good player and make that contract look real good in a couple of years.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Not sure about the value of the contracts, and I don't really care to go into that much detail to be honest.

Still it's nice to see that Ujiri had a vision this off-season. Joseph and Carroll are high IQ players that play good defense and have experience playing in good systems. Wright sounds similar as well.

We should be a much better defensive team next year. Don't know where the scoring is going to come from though. JV is going to have to move into that 15-17 ppg range for us to be successful I think.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
IIRC Raps are gonna be right up around the cap now if Biyombo is signed to the MLE. If I did the math right, and assuming Wright's deal is roughly slot for his draft position they're gonna have less than $1m left to spend. Though they still could use the Bi-Annual Exception for about $2.5m or wherever it will sit for this year. And they still have to sign Norman Powell if they want as well (no reason not to, really), but his contract would allow them to exceed the cap I believe.

And we still need a PF.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
So I guess a Sign and Trade is pretty much the only way we can get a PF now.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Are these projections counting Ridnour as a Raptors player??

The contract is bigger than I thought it would be but Joseph is a good 2 way guard with a lot of potential and I think they seem him as the starter before that contract is up as well

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
So I guess a Sign and Trade is pretty much the only way we can get a PF now.

Lots of assets though. Ross, our 1st plus Milwaukees 1st (Knicks 1st untouchable unless we're getting somebody insane) Ridnour is obviously not going to stay on the roster, his cap space is still available.

Love the Joseph signing, anti Grievis, efficiency and defense. Will look very nice backing up Lowry and even beside him on occasion. Also gives us options down the road as Lowry ages. Biyombo and Joseph are still so young, but have a ton of NBA experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad