Raptors Discussion: v43|We The North redux: this is what it feels like to have a team with actual depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
drake-crying.jpg

lol, DD taking pointers on his jumper from Aubrey

Last edited:

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Oh but they are definitely showing their "true Toronto roots" right now, got it.
It's a fact about them whether you want to accept it or not. I'm glad they closed it out but consider, excluding last year:

27th in 4th Q differential in 12/13
28th in 11/12
28th in 10/11
19th in 09/10
18th in 08/09
19th in 07/08 (second last playoff appearance)

So yeah, they've very much been a bad 4th quarter team historically and most certainly a team prone to blowing leads. And if you couple that with the Leafs futility (and I'm a Leafs fan too so I'm not trying to rip on them) you can see how TO teams have that reputation over the last decade.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's a fact about them whether you want to accept it or not. I'm glad they closed it out but consider, excluding last year:

28th in 11/12
28th in 10/11
19th in 09/10
18th in 08/09

So yeah, they've very much been a bad 4th quarter team historically and most certainly a team prone to blowing leads. And if you couple that with the Leafs futility (and I'm a Leafs fan too so I'm not trying to rip on them) you can see how TO teams have that reputation over the last decade.

So why exactly are you excluding last year? I'm not sure what those other previous teams have in common with this one other than they play in the same venue and operate under the same name.

Like I said, one game is certainly indicative of what's to come.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
hey.....shut up.

I think he said bad lopsided.

Then it's the VC trade, no question. Even if Vince was being a whiny malcontent asshat at that point and looked like he was going to fall apart soon due to injuries, he was still a marquee name. And in exchange, Rob Babcock got:

-Aaron Williams. Noted stiff and passable 3rd C reaching the end of his career. As a Raptor he played 37 games and averaged less than 2 points and 2 rebounds a game in 7-8 minutes. He was traded to New Orleans part way through the 05-06 season (the trade was during 04-05) for 2nd round picks in the 06 and 09 draft. The 06 pick was traded to Philly for cash and they used it on a Euro league F that didn't pan out. The 09 pick was packaged with Eric Williams to the Spurs in a deal I'll cover below. San Antonio picked a nobody with it though.

-Eric Williams. Iffy backup SG/SF. Lacked athleticism. Was an OK shooter/rebounder. Not that you'd know from his time in Toronto where he averaged 4 points and 2 rebounds in 15 or so minutes a game and shot a dismal 38% from the floor. He was eventually shipped out of town in the 06 off-season along with Matt Bonner and the aforementioned 09 2nd round pick in exchange for Rasho Nesterovic.

-Alonzo Mourning. Refused to come to Toronto. But rather than just let the Raptors cut him, he demanded they pay his buyout. That's right. Toronto had to pay him off so that he wouldn't stay home and sulk and not report to the team.

-a 2005 1st round pick they used to draft Joey Graham.

-a 2006 1st round pick they would flip to the Knicks in 06 along with Jalen Rose in exchange for Antonio Davis returning to the Raptors. Somewhat disliked after his mildly controversial comments about not wanting his kids to grow up in Canada and the Canadian education system, Davis proceeded to play 8 crappy games, contributing less than 5 points and 3 boards in backup minutes before retiring at season's end. FWIW, the Knicks blew the pick by selecting Renaldo Balkman.

So in summary, this is what arguably the best player in Raptors franchise history got us in return:

-37 crap games from Aaron Williams
-60-some-odd crap games from Eric Williams
-Money burned by being forced to pay Alonzo Mourning to not sit at home and whine about Toronto.
-Joey Graham, and all which that entails.
-8 crap games of Antonio Davis at the end of his career and when Toronto already hated him.
-Rasho Nesterovic
-Some money back, but likely not as much as was spent on Mourning.

Rob Babcock, ladies & gentlemen! :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

28th in 11/12
28th in 10/11
19th in 09/10
18th in 08/09

And I believe they were 35-2 last year when leading after 3 quarters, 20-0 at home.

This team has sweet f..k-all to do with teams years previous and absolutely zero to do with the Leafs. This team was born the day Rudy Gay was traded and since then they have been playing at a 55 win pace. Save your pessimism for the Leafs where it belongs.

Solid win tonight. 6 players in double figures. Team looked as advertised, very solid and very deep. Looking forward to a great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad