Raptors Discussion: v43|We The North redux: this is what it feels like to have a team with actual depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
The only that I didn't really like last night was DD is still forcing his shot. Too many contested jumpers from far out. If he can cut down on those he will be beastly. Hard to complain much when the rest of his game was so good but still, I have been wanting to just stop for a long time now.

He did the same thing in the playoffs last year. If you don't have it on the night then you don't have it. He also had more turnovers on his own than the rest of the team combined.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The only that I didn't really like last night was DD is still forcing his shot. Too many contested jumpers from far out. If he can cut down on those he will be beastly. Hard to complain much when the rest of his game was so good but still, I have been wanting to just stop for a long time now.

Agreed. He passed up giving his teammates better looks a few too many times last night.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Raps. Now this is a team that's easy to like.

Great team, built well. Great players, drafted. Great coach.

Took lots of losing and poor seasons but now they are legit.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Good or bad?

Good lopsided: Jonathan Bender's draft rights for Antonio Davis

Bad lopsided: Vince for Eric and Aaron Williams and the privilege of buying out Alonzo Mourning because he didn't want to play for the Raptors. Raptors also got 2 1st round picks. 1 was used on Joey Graham. The other was traded to the Knicks, who picked Renaldo Balkman. The Raptors, I believe, got Antonio Davis back from the Knicks.

Raps drafted BJ Armstrong in the expansion draft, dealt him for Victor Alexander because he refused to report, then immediately flipped Alexander (who was then waived by the Knicks) for Doug Christie.

How about moving that first round pick for Lowry too? Everybody seemed to have expected the worst after this team looked like it was going nowhere fast. Now looking back on it, the Raps actually acquired Lowry, a top 10 pg, for Steven Adams.

Shoutout to the Rudy Gay trade too. Not really the acquiring part, but if we had not acquired him we wouldn't have gotten several bench pieces that heavily support this team's current structure. I'll add Lou to that because it was pretty much a Salmons/Lou swap with Nog/2nd as a part of the deal.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Raps drafted BJ Armstrong in the expansion draft, dealt him for Victor Alexander because he refused to report, then immediately flipped Alexander (who was then waived by the Knicks) for Doug Christie.

How about moving that first round pick for Lowry too? Everybody seemed to have expected the worst after this team looked like it was going nowhere fast. Now looking back on it, the Raps actually acquired Lowry, a top 10 pg, for Steven Adams.

Shoutout to the Rudy Gay trade too. Not really the acquiring part, but if we had not acquired him we wouldn't have gotten several bench pieces that heavily support this team's current structure. I'll add Lou to that because it was pretty much a Salmons/Lou swap with Nog/2nd as a part of the deal.

Rudy Gay essentially got us:

Greivis Vazquez
Patrick Patterson
Lou Williams
Chuck Hayes

3 key cogs off the bench.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

True enough. I was a huge fan of the lowry trade too. it was protected enough that we wouldn't have been screwed even if hte team did bottom out and I was a big supporter of acquiring Lowry when we started looking at finding a longer term replacement for calderon. That might have actually been the best move that Colangelo made, right there.

As for the others, yeah it's debatable on whether you value Christie's contributions to the expansion-era Raptors greater than Davis' contributions to the playoff-era Raptors (and the value of a lockdown defender on the wing vs a good all-around interior player).

The Rudy Gay trade is probably the best in terms of how it impacted the fortunes of the team, but just based on the assets exchanged I'm not sure I can call it "lopsided" to trade a good starting player on a bloated contract for a bunch of good bench players (even if they are very good bench players.)

Plus I like my choices because of the symmetry in how both of them end with Antonio Davis. :laugh:

Greivis Vazquez
Patrick Patterson
Lou Williams
Chuck Hayes

And Chuck Hayes.:D

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Greivis Vazquez
Patrick Patterson
Lou Williams
Chuck Hayes

Especially when you consider the originL deal for Gay... Calderon who is not better than Lowry or GV at this point (still love him though)and Ed who just hasn't developed as hoped. He's the same age as 2Pat and I think we can all agree Pat is a better player at this point.

I hated the Gay deal (iirc many here did) not because of the assets given up but because we all knew what he was, a low efficieny scorer who needed the ball and probably wouldn't mesh with our roster.

In the end it's worked out hugely in our favour when you look at assets in vs assets out

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Another genius trade by Masai. Can he join the Leafs for a few months and clean house? :naughty:

And then imagine him next year if the Leafs make the playoffs and face the will-be-Brooklyn Islanders in the first round. Him standing there to hype the Leaf fans up and yell "**** BROOKLYN!" one last time :laugh:

MrLegend28*

Cavs were trying to do too much. its just 1 game and ocne they really gel they'll be scary. Love and Defense dont mix tho holy

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Cavs were trying to do too much. its just 1 game and ocne they really gel they'll be scary. Love and Defense dont mix tho holy

Agreed - I think Lebron is in for a bit of an awakening. He's going to have to be at the top of his game every single night for the Cavs to be a contender (I fully expect his to happen though)

Irving and KLove are great, but they're not the complete/savvy players that CB & Dwade are. Its going to be a lot closer to the 2014 Heat then the back to back championship team

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
ny26wS0.jpg

:laugh:

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
Raps. Now this is a team that's easy to like.

Great team, built well. Great players, drafted. Great coach.

Took lots of losing and poor seasons but now they are legit.

totally agree. Been a lean bunch of years. Let's stay healthy (knock on wood.) Very enjoyable watching these guys progress as players/team.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago
Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio has reached agreement on a four-year, $55 million-plus contract extension, a league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Hah, almost 14M for a guy that cant shoot. Tons of overpay lately for potential.

It makes me wary of what they might have to pay for JV and Ross.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago
Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio has reached agreement on a four-year, $55 million-plus contract extension, a league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Hah, almost 14M for a guy that cant shoot. Tons of overpay lately for potential.

It makes me wary of what they might have to pay for JV and Ross.

And what we'll have to pay to resign DD when the time comes.

Some awful contracts being handed out.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It'll be interesting because the offseason that DD/JVal/Ross are needing new contracts is the year that the CBA will be restructured. Expect some record breaking contracts to be handed out that offseason.

I think it was Grange that also said we could expect DD to get up to 20m per year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It'll be interesting because the offseason that DD/JVal/Ross are needing new contracts is the year that the CBA will be restructured. Expect some record breaking contracts to be handed out that offseason.

I think it was Grange that also said we could expect DD to get up to 20m per year.

If DeRozan gets 20 mil it shouldn't be from the Raptors. Who's a fair comparison to DeRozan? Klay Thompson just got 4 yr 70 mil and I am not even sure he's worth that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad