Raptors Discussion: v43|We The North redux: this is what it feels like to have a team with actual depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Feel bad for George and I hope he has a speedy recovery. I know Indiana is in the basement now. Lose Stephenson and George.

Yikes!

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Watched it, WOW. Wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

For anyone who hasn't watched it, think Kevin Ware, then ask yourself if you can stomach it before you watch.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I didn't realize human legs could look like the letter L. Good lord that's brutal.

Doctors that seen the video on ESPN (not the most credible, but still) have claimed that's at the very least a season ender. I've seen the words "career ender" thrown around but in this day in age i don't think those words are nearly as scary as they were like 25 years ago. Medical technology is just superior. Guess it depends on the amount of ligament/muscle damage.

The question will become about his long term career. Will he return to normal? Or will that bone forever be a nuisance and cause him to miss big chunks of his career ala Tracy McGrady?

Edit: What i mean by the T-Mac comparison is how he was bogged down by a variety of aliments throughout his career even a couple years after the initial injury occurred. This could sadly become the same thing, even if it's repaired.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I haven't bothered to look it up, but how does it compare to Anderson Silva's injury? That one looked pretty rough

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yikes, the slow mo was awful. I had to turn away. Very nasty . Poor guy.

There's a still frame of his tibia poking through his skin and you could see it supporting all his weight. In that one shot it's gruesome. He looks like a Pirate with a peg leg.

I will be amazed if he comes back and is able to play basketball at a high level after that.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
And that's why a player (in any sport) signs a max contract the second they get a chance. Because you never know what could happen

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That injury was hard to watch and I agree just too gruesome to post.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
On a lighter note.

It appears Masai was wise to pick Caboclo at #20.

Boston Celtics rumors 2014: Bruno Caboclo 'fascinated' Celtics as prospect before getting drafted by Toronto Raptors

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/08/boston_celtics_rumors_2014_bru.html

When a team can find that much potential with the 20th pick, it's nice value. Yet because of Caboclo's status as a relative unknown, the masses wondered why the Raptors didn't just wait until their second pick at No. 37.

Apparently, general manager Masai Ujiri didn't want to risk another team choosing the Brazilian first. Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix reported Friday that the Dallas Mavericks held interest with the 34th pick and the Boston Celtics were also "fascinated" by Caboclo.

The Celtics would have needed to acquire another pick to choose him. But they have aggressively made draft-day trades in the past, and they repeatedly said they were open to adding another pick this year if the right situation came along. If the Raptors hadn't selected Caboclo so early, maybe Danny Ainge would have swooped in to take him with an early second-round pick. Or maybe not.

Obviously, we will never know if that would have happened. Ujiri put an end to the possibility by snatching Caboclo in the first round. But the Celtics fascination is something to keep in the back of your mind. Five years from now, if the Brazilian is tearing up the NBA, he will count as an intriguing what-if in Boston.*

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I haven't bothered to look it up, but how does it compare to Anderson Silva's injury? That one looked pretty rough

Yep it's a pretty similar injury. Both have broken their fibula and tibia. Not sure if it was a complete fracture for PG, but I remember Djibril Cisse's case where he had a comminuted fracture and his tibia (?) I believe was hitting his artery and cutting off his blood supply before they corrected it. He potentially could have lost his leg in that case if they did not drug him up and manipulate it at the stadium. Despite the timeline being 6 to 8 months at best (18 months at worse), Cisse came back in 5 months time. I wouldn't suggest rushing it in this case for George because Cisse went on to break his leg again a year later.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
What a terrible thing to happen. I feel like this era is cursed, we keep losing superstars to bad injuries.

Kobe, Rose, PG, etc.

Especially in the case of DRose and PG, odds are we will never watch them play to their potential ever again. Sucks considering how Rose was the best player in the league for a short period of time and was completely taking over.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
What a terrible thing to happen. I feel like this era is cursed, we keep losing superstars to bad injuries.

Kobe, Rose, PG, etc.

Especially in the case of DRose and PG, odds are we will never watch them play to their potential ever again. Sucks considering how Rose was the best player in the league for a short period of time and was completely taking over.

Well with Rose I don't think his injury - injury's will hold him back. Once he gets use to the pace again and is back in game form I think it will be a mental factor for him. He heeds to get one season under his belt with out any serious health issues and he will be fine.

With George I expect sort of the same sort of thing. He's gonna be out a while with that injury and rehabbing it for a while more. But even though it was gruesome to look at I think sports medicine is far enough ahead at this day and age that we will see George back and at the top of his game.

Much like Rose I think with George it will be a case of over coming the mental barriers that come along with major injuries. If he can work past that and get a healthy run he will be fine, but it's gonna take him a while to get back to where he was. Maybe half a season or even a full season of playing healthy ball.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Rose looked good in the scrimmage. Says he's confident and he won't need that season. He just needs to get back into shape.

officialmark*

TWolves expect to execute Love trade by end of August. Pretty much means Wiggins, right? Maybe Minny didn't think Wiggins would play for them and hold out to sign somewhere else?

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
Watched it, WOW. Wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

For anyone who hasn't watched it, think Kevin Ware, then ask yourself if you can stomach it before you watch.

my girlfriend and I had just finished eating a head cheese lasagna at her mom's place when a replay of the accident was shown. Not cool.:nono:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
TWolves expect to execute Love trade by end of August. Pretty much means Wiggins, right? Maybe Minny didn't think Wiggins would play for them and hold out to sign somewhere else?

Saw a tweet that they took Wiggins' Cleveland jersey off the market. Heard it's not really a matter of if Kevin Love and Wiggins get swapped, its a matter of when now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad