GDT: USA vs. Finland, Jan. 4th, Semi-Final; 1:30 pm EST, 7:30 pm local

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
It was funny to see “game management” accusations as typically the IIHF refs have no problem giving 7 penalties in a row to the same team.
Oh comon, NHL reffing can be awful as well. Why do NA posters like to bag on IIHF so much.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
As I said elsewhere, because IIHF refs aren’t shy about calling anything that they see, it can lead to more outrageous outcomes.

It’s a low floor high ceiling situation.

NHL reffing tends to be a more mediocre middle ground.
Vegas - Sharks cough cough

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
A draw is more accurate.
Loss in overtime by the 14th seeded against the overwhelming tournament favourites with that one point guaranteeing avoiding relegation? And yeah, an amazing effort with basically no tanks, no modern fighters and not much heavy artillery against the Red Army itself. But we do digress...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Loss in overtime by the 14th seeded against the overwhelming tournament favourites with that one point guaranteeing avoiding relegation? And yeah, an amazing effort with basically no tanks, no modern fighters and not much heavy artillery against the Red Army itself. But we do digress...
No, I was referring to the Winter War.

Reactions: Devonator

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023

Finland was fighting bare handed against half of the planet Earth's fighter jets and tanks at some point. Not to talk about the smallish difference 3 millions vs 200 millions population.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
No, I was referring to the Winter War.
Well, we lost our 2nd city, 10% of our land area and 13% of the population had to flee with 25 000 young men dead in a nation of slightly over 3m people. Still an amazing miracle in times when small nations collapsed routinely like houses of cards, often for several times even. Had we been occupied it would have been basically a national liquidation. But hardly a draw in military terms. But now we really do digress!

RichT M

Jan 2, 2024
Well, we lost our 2nd city, 10% of our land area and 13% of the population had to flee with 25 000 young men dead in a nation of slightly over 3m people. Still an amazing miracle in times when small nations collapsed routinely like houses of cards, often for several times even. Had we been occupied it would have been basically a national liquidation. But hardly a draw in military terms. But now we really do digress!
Thanks for the history lesson. That prompted me to do some reading on the Winter War. At least one American is slightly more educated.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023

In the end I'm super proud that we fought like lions! And we will continue to fight like lions!

Reactions: llwyd

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Fuuuuuuuk! Nyman was close tying the game.

Anyways, great team effort once again. Our boys left everything on ice and we can be proud of that. I see the finnish press is already blaming the refs, thats embarrassing. There were like 4 high sticks that didn't get called and considering how leathal USA's powerplay was, i'd say we dodged many bullets today. And Nyman was so damn close.

Second what was embarrassing was McGroarty scratching his face trying to bleed, so embarrassing. Grow some balls and leave showcasing to soccer pitch.

Otherwise congrats to USA, you were better team this time. People have often said how tight Finland-USA games are, so the finnish announcer said in U20 Worlds the record was 18-18-1. Now it's 19 wins for USA and 18 wins for Finland, and 1 tie. It is a tight series between us. We try winning the next one, enjoy the gold medal game.
Finns will get drunk and talk about winning the winter war - tomorrow they will have forgotten about this tournament anyhow ...
Way ahead of you of buddy.

Who was the greatest battalion commander in Winter War AND WHY IT IS "The Terror of Morocco" Aarne Juutilainen?
We would be pretty drunk really, as we actually lost it...
Open up the history book, son and read the soviet objective and then what they actually achieve. Lot of dead reds in their rotten graves, thanks to my grandfathers and their brothers in arms. And all thanks to them, im alive, your alive, without the veterans finnish people would have faced genocide.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
It was kind of a disaster military result for Russia because it also prompted Hitler to invade Russia.

I thought this was a good game, but obviously you get saulty if you get a penalty call that wasn't a penalty with 3 minutes remaining.

Reactions: llwyd

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
They almost had their game plan work

Johnston said they were gonna depend on their checking ability, get a and early lead and attempt to drag it out with defense , and at worst get it to OT which is more of a toss up.

2 minutes too late
They clogged up the front of the net and the Finns goalie made some great saves as well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Might be the only break the Sharks ever got form the officials
Vegas fans still blaming the refs for the fact that Vegas gave up four goals in five minutes is hilarious. All they had to do to win that game was “not give up four goals on a five minute PP”. Even bad teams do that regularly. Vegas shot themselves in the foot four times and are blaming the refs for handing them the gun.

You can blame the refs as much as you want, but at the end of the day when you go 0% on the PK, it’s your own damn fault.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
It was kind of a disaster military result for Russia because it also prompted Hitler to invade Russia.

I thought this was a good game, but obviously you get saulty if you get a penalty call that wasn't a penalty with 3 minutes remaining.
which arguably was the failure that kept Hitler from taking over the world (he couldn't handle two fronts).

so....in a round about way Finland's showing in the winter war changed the course of WW2 ;)

Reactions: Conspiracy Theorist

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Thanks for the support, Swede bros, but wtf?

1704413681861.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3