GDT: US vs Switzerland, Dec 28, 11 EST

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Switzerland won vs Switzerland because Beglieri lost his net which allowed Honzek to score into the empty net. Can't really blame your goalie if you don't score any goals yourself but it remains a soft goal that handed Slovakia the win.

Today, Grüter gave up 3 soft goals but Huet didn't have much of a chance on the 3 he let in. The first was an own goal anyway. Huet should have started both games anyway.
Swiss were in the game because Slovakia was gassed after their win vs Czechia. And because refs called some really strange penalties on Slovakia, giving Swiss undeserved PP’s. It also doesn’t help that Slovakia has the worst coaching in the tournament who is hell bent on spreading out the teams best players. In 2016 he would’ve put laine and Pulju on different lines, for perspective.

You can almost picture the Finn's struggling, finishing 4th and beating the 1 seed. It wouldn't even be that shocking to be honest.
Knowing Slovakia we will beat the Americans then lose to Germany in the QF who will still end up 4th haha

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Swiss were in the game because Slovakia was gassed after their win vs Czechia. And because refs called some really strange penalties on Slovakia, giving Swiss undeserved PP’s. It also doesn’t help that Slovakia has the worst coaching in the tournament who is hell bent on spreading out the teams best players. In 2016 he would’ve put laine and Pulju on different lines, for perspective.

Knowing Slovakia we will beat the Americans then lose to Germany in the QF who will still end up 4th haha
The quarters usually have that one crazy game.

I'm still worried that Norway beats Switzerland and then the Swiss beat us.lol

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
well this has offically got boriing 9-1 and not even 3rd lol. hope germany puts up better performance later

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It has been marked for Gabe Perreault on IIHF website. I have a bet on Leonard to score, anybody has an idea is there any way to contact IIHF to correct this?
If it's wrong, they will probably change it. They originally gave an assist to Leonard on the 1st goal and then changed it to Perreault.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Agree w whoever posted it earlier. Definitely the most “skilled” American team I’ve ever seen. They dont seem to care about back checking or defensive position but they’re always ready to attack you if you give up the puck.

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
The gap in speed and depth is huge. Even Slovakia got dominated 5vs5 and they have a much better team than Norway so under normal circumstances, Norway won't be able to play an even game vs Switzerland. They might not have to though. The problem of this Swiss team is that they have two very poor goalies and I think the mickey mouse coaches still don't understand this. I always said that if Huet isn't the starter, this Swiss team might get relegated. That's how poor Beglieri and Grüter are. Not a great fan of the Swiss special teams either.
Well, looking at this game and the Norway - USA game you would think that the gap in speed and depth is huge. But that Norway is by far the better team, not Switzerland as you are saying.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The US team is playing with some terrific speed. Of course the Swiss made it quite easy for them with their underwhelming, put mildly, performance. But still the pace the US team is capable of maintaining is something rarely seen in hockey, not just at the U20 level. Everything is so fast. The skating, the passing, the decision making, the shooting. Hard to imagine any team in the tournament beating them. Of course any team can have a bad game ...

Reactions: Czechboy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, looking at this game and the Norway - USA game you would think that the gap in speed and depth is huge. But that Norway is by far the better team, not Switzerland as you are saying.
I suggest reading the Switzerland thread. These games against the stronger team were always gonna be struggle for Switzerland with the roster structure they went with. I thought there was an off chance for Switzerland to keep it tight if the US played the way they did vs Norway but Switzerland starting Grüter meant they lost the game before it started. Once you get the US going like that with three four pretty much free goals you can't stop them anymore if you lose pretty every single battle. Coaches had bigger, physical two way players available but they picked all smallish speedsters over them. I don't even think it has anything to do with the Swiss playing yesterday. Can't be tired on day 2 of the tournament. Coaches just picked the wrong players for such a game and most importantly, they started the wrong goalie.

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
I suggest reading the Switzerland thread. These games against the stronger team were always gonna be struggle for Switzerland with the roster structure they went with. I thought there was an off chance for Switzerland to keep it tight if the US played the way they did vs Norway but Switzerland starting Grüter meant they lost the game before it started. Once you get the US going like that with three four pretty much free goals you can't stop them anymore if you lose pretty every single battle. I don't even think it has anything to do with the Swiss playing yesterday.
Yeah, I was just joking a bit. I also have Switzerland as the favorite against Norway, but I don't think the difference is that huge as you seem to think. I would say 60/40 Switzerland.

Reactions: Czechboy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, I was just joking a bit. I also have Switzerland as the favorite against Norway, but I don't think the difference is that huge as you seem to think. I would say 60/40 Switzerland.
It depends on who's in goal for Switzerland. If it's not Huet it's at least 60/40 Norway:laugh:

Btw, if I was Ewan Huet I'd probably book my flight to Canada during the 2nd intermission, show the coaches the middle finger, take a shower, pack my stuff and leave the arena. The poor kid got trolled the worst possible way so far this WJC20.

• Haha
Reactions: Joka12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad