GDT: US vs Switzerland, Dec 28, 11 EST

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Everything depends on Huet's health I guess. If he was rested yesterday I think Switzerland has a chance. If he's sick or injured, Switzerland is in trouble.

The Amerks were pretty underwhelming vs Norway. A similar performance might not do against Switzerland backstopped by Huet. I'm not a great fan of Augustine myself and the other US goalies certainly aren't any better so the US will always have a risk of giving up soft goals. Having said that, the Amerks are certainly capable of more than they showed vs Norway.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What don’t you like about him?

He wins too much? I mean that’s all he does is win everywhere he has played, no?
Smaller goalie with faulty positioning. Usually not a receipe for success. Switzerland has a couple of those on the roster as well. What tends to happen is that those goalies are too aggressive, they're overcommitting, losing their net etc. Which is why I prefer Huet over Grüter or Beglieri. He's small as well but he does have a better positioning. Trey Augustine is a great athlete. Not sure he's gonna be a great goalie in pro hockey. We'll see. Has a lot to work on and I think there are much better goalies playing in this tournament.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Trey Augustine is a great athlete. Not sure he's gonna be a great goalie in pro hockey. We'll see. Has a lot to work on and I think there are much better goalies playing in this tournament.
I think he’s a great WJC goalie. He is a winner and it’s hard to find any 17/18 goalies who are consistent

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think he’s a great WJC goalie. He is a winner and it’s hard to find any 17/18 goalies who are consistent

I think he's an average goalie for this tournament. Decent and better than the Canadian goalies for example but nowhere near as solid or dominant as Gajan who stood on his head again yesterday.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Smaller goalie with faulty positioning. Usually not a receipe for success. Switzerland has a couple of those on the roster as well. What tends to happen is that those goalies are too aggressive, they're overcommitting, losing their net etc. Which is why I prefer Huet over Grüter or Beglieri. He's small as well but he does have a better positioning. Trey Augustine is a great athlete. Not sure he's gonna be a great goalie in pro hockey. We'll see. Has a lot to work on and I think there are much better goalies playing in this tournament.
I appreciate the detailed reply. How is 6’1” undersized ?

I think you are being far too picky.

Also I’m going to take your “faulty positioning” with a grain of salt. He is currently the best 18 year old goalie in the entire USA, I’m sure his positioning is up to the par of his level.

Reactions: UvBnDatsyuked

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think he's an average goalie for this tournament. Decent and better than the Canadian goalies for example but nowhere near as solid or dominant as Gajan who stood on his head again yesterday.
I’ve always like a goalie with some swagger. He brings that, some athleticism and some veteran know-how. He is a gamer

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Really looking forward to this one after what I saw from the Swiss against Slovaks. Although I believe USA will pull away at the end strictly because it’s a back to back for Swiss.
Hope to see a good close game though.
Norway made the Americans look very beatable the other day.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I appreciate the detailed reply. How is 6’1” undersized ?

I think you are being far too picky.

Also I’m going to take your “faulty positioning” with a grain of salt. He is currently the best 18 year old goalie in the entire USA, I’m sure his positioning is up to the par of his level.

It's not. It's been a while since I read any on him but I'm sure most scouting reports would list positioning as his main weakness. Which, for a smaller goalie, is a problem. 6'1 is small already. NHL teams prefer to draft goalies 6'2, even 6'3 upwards. You rarely see small goalies drafted so early these days. Detroit really took a punt. Also, is 6'1 what he was measured at the combine? He looks small.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
usa did not look like a sizeable gold medal favorite vs norway.. should beat the swiss easy on a back to back though

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's not. It's been a while since I read any on him but I'm sure most scouting reports would list positioning as his main weakness. Which, for a smaller goalie, is a problem. 6'1 is small already. NHL teams prefer to draft goalies 6'2, even 6'3 upwards. You rarely see small goalies drafted so early these days. Detroit really took a punt. Also, is 6'1 what he was measured at the combine? He looks small.
So, you can't really answer if he's small or not, haven't read much on him, and almost assuredly never watch him. Sounds like a worthy opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad