GDT: US vs Switzerland, Dec 28, 11 EST

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, I was just joking a bit. I also have Switzerland as the favorite against Norway, but I don't think the difference is that huge as you seem to think. I would say 60/40 Switzerland.
In fairness... Norway played a better match against the US then Switzerland.

And they will give EVERYTHING in that game. I'll be watching and curiuos how it goes.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Calling it, Norway to have played the closest game with US by the end of the tournament.
I'm a bit worried for the Czechs after losing so many defensemen but if they start Hrabal I think they have a chance. Same goes for the Slovaks who have the best goalie of the tournament. The US are a good team and their offense is relentless but if you don't give them any free goals to start the game I think that, with good goaltending and the ability to win battles, it's possible to not bleed too much defensively. And the US aren't all that solid defensively themselves.

Reactions: Pieck

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Hutson is a disaster in his own zone. He was like the 4th guy back there and then stood and watched while they buried the rebound

Reactions: Oak and Hawkster58

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nazar almost killed a fan with that high shot.. . oh wait, there are no fans.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Just tuned in - it's tripping me out a bit to see a goalie named Huet with the old Reebok Premier graphic on his pads.

Reactions: Hinterland

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Switzerland were excellent yesterday... I doubt they could have played a softer game today if they tried. Soft on sticks, soft on bodies and no willingness to pay a price with shot blocks etc. Looks like they expected to get smoked and followed through.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Switzerland were excellent yesterday... I doubt they could have played a softer game today if they tried. Soft on sticks, soft on bodies and no willingness to pay a price with shot blocks etc. Looks like they expected to get smoked and followed through.

That's kinda the identity of the team they selected though. The Swiss have the smallest, the shortest and most certainly also the softest team of the WJC20. They went all in on speed. Which is a good idea vs weaker teams but if you, with such a team, give the US some free goals by starting a leaking goalie...of course you're gonna get killed. You'd be stupid to expect anything else. Been saying ever since camp roster was released that it was a mistake not to select a single two way Center. Miles Muller is one of course but he's also the teams most dangerous forward so Switzerland can't afford to give him defensive assignments only.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A “break their spirit early” game you see often at the world juniors. When the Swiss knew they lost early and given the back to back, likely said to themselves “oh well” and considered the only game that really matters is the one against Norway. Then the skill of the U.S. did the rest.

Reactions: pouf pouf

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Agree w whoever posted it earlier. Definitely the most “skilled” American team I’ve ever seen. They dont seem to care about back checking or defensive position but they’re always ready to attack you if you give up the puck.
Their soft d-zone play could easily be exploited by Slovakia, and then in the knock-out stage. Switzerland and Norway just don't have enough offensive skill to do that with any consistency.

They can be too cute in the o-zone, often with a redundant pass or two. Clean look, shoot, crash the net should be the theme against the better teams.

Ya, their transition game is unreal. Zero hesitation, always making the up pass, weak side support is there on the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad