Olympics: UPDATE: USA Hockey D replacements - Whitney and Gleason

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I agree with you. I think the major problem with Whitney is that people see his size and automatically assume that he should be like a Chris Pronger or Dion Phaneuf or insert name here. It just isn't his game, nor has it really ever been.

Look at the reports when he was drafted, everyone always said if this guy could use his size a little more, he would be completely dominate. and to that regard I do agree, he is blessed with size that 90% of the league would love to have, but he plays and values himself as an offensive defensemen not a shutdown imposing defensemen.

But I will say this, he is NO pushover, and anyone that says otherwise is clueless. I too have watched him play for the past 10 years, and this guy does not get pushed around; and that is what many of you guys are getting wrong. He may not throw a dozen hits in a game, but he does hit and uses his body effectively on the ice. He has 60 hits this season so he isn't that timid with hitting, but ofcourse everyone expects more with his size.

I can't wait for this guy to go out there and shine in Vancouver, score a couple big power play goals and use his body effective enough to slow down the opposing forwards, that will be his job.

While I agree with most of your points, I don't buy the meme that he has always been a skill guy and nothing else s/b expected. He is 6:03 or 6:04 with excellent skating ability. He should be able to on occasion really layout opposing players. I saw a lot of him at BU and Pittsburgh and seldomly saw him do that. Its the main area of his game that he could do the most about right away.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
While I agree with most of your points, I don't buy the meme that he has always been a skill guy and nothing else s/b expected. He is 6:03 or 6:04 with excellent skating ability. He should be able to on occasion really layout opposing players. I saw a lot of him at BU and Pittsburgh and seldomly saw him do that. Its the main area of his game that he could do the most about right away.

Again, I agree with what you and others are saying, but you disagree with my point, yet you prove that point as to why people are down on Whitney. You are saying that just because he is 6'3-6'4 he should be laying out people occasionally...that is my whole point, regardless of his size, he is not that player, he never has been, yet people just assume that is what he should be doing.

he will throw his weight around from time to time, but it isn't his game. Does that dissapoint many of us, hell yes it does because I think he would be considered a top 10 talent if he started using that big frame more, but I also don't think any less of him if he doesn't.

I grew up watching Eric Daze and his 6'6 230 pound frame not check a single soul for probably his first 4 years in the league. Did I think any less of him as a player? no, because that wasn't his style. Did I feel he could be OH SO MUCH BETTER if he used his size? damn right. the same holds true with Whitney, he is taking heat for something that he just doesn't or hasn't really done, it does not make him less of a player and that is my point.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Great logic ever.

:handclap:

Maybe Carolina should trade Pitkanen and Gleason for Lebda and Meech because they plays 25 playoffs game for superior team and has expierence in high-pressure games.

Why don't you read in full context, instead of what you wanted to read. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of your argument, that a guy like Scuderi is a 'joke.' If you want to talk about guys who are a joke, Joni Pitkanen is a born-loser so maybe that's a good idea. He has the brain of a peanut and the maturity of a 4-year old. Any Penguins fan will tell you how vital of a cog Scuderi was last year.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Again, I agree with what you and others are saying, but you disagree with my point, yet you prove that point as to why people are down on Whitney. You are saying that just because he is 6'3-6'4 he should be laying out people occasionally...that is my whole point, regardless of his size, he is not that player, he never has been, yet people just assume that is what he should be doing.

he will throw his weight around from time to time, but it isn't his game. Does that dissapoint many of us, hell yes it does because I think he would be considered a top 10 talent if he started using that big frame more, but I also don't think any less of him if he doesn't.

I grew up watching Eric Daze and his 6'6 230 pound frame not check a single soul for probably his first 4 years in the league. Did I think any less of him as a player? no, because that wasn't his style. Did I feel he could be OH SO MUCH BETTER if he used his size? damn right. the same holds true with Whitney, he is taking heat for something that he just doesn't or hasn't really done, it does not make him less of a player and that is my point.

I agree, Whitney has all the tools to be an All-Star game type player, if he layed out some people with clean checks just a few times a month he would find that opponents may actually start getting rid of the puck a little sooner, making his job a little easier is all I mean.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Don't know much about Whitney being there but Gleason is a great pick is a better version of Mike Komisarek and I don't understand how he wasnt pick ahead of him at first

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Expected this but I'm happy with this announcement.

Whitney's biggest issue is consistency but he only has to string together 8 good games or so and if you saw him play leading up to the Olympic game, you know how good Whitney can be.

Gleason is a stud. Not much needs to be said about him than already has been in this thread. Big time upgrade over Komisarek at this point in their careers.

It sucks that guys like Keith Yandle and Andy Greene weren't even eligible to be selected but it's understandable; their meteoric rises weren't expected by anyone, at least not this fast. If they both keep playing the way they have been and keep progressing as well they'll be in the running for many future US teams.

The amount of people calling for Matt Carle or Keith Ballard is baffling me.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The average age of the team is going down as well :laugh:

Another thing I have pointed out yet is this all means that Brooks Orpik should play more since he was originally the #2 defensive defenseman/bruiser. I like it.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Why don't you read in full context, instead of what you wanted to read. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of your argument, that a guy like Scuderi is a 'joke.' If you want to talk about guys who are a joke, Joni Pitkanen is a born-loser so maybe that's a good idea. He has the brain of a peanut and the maturity of a 4-year old. Any Penguins fan will tell you how vital of a cog Scuderi was last year.

:shakehead

Did Joni Pitkanen kill your dog or something.

Gleason > Scuderi. Scuderi isn't a joke, but Gleason is alot tougher and has a huge heart. He plays for that logo on his chest. He sticks up for his teamates and i've seen many guys turn away from Gleason. Dude is tough as nails and a beast.

Not many guys will take a Ovie slap shot to the face. Get 30 stitches, come back and get the tying goal, a shorthanded one at that.

Gleason should have been in over Komisarik in the first place, but Burke felt he had to go with his guy.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Do you guys think the team is better with these two guys as opposed to Komisarek and Maritn?

I'd say it's a push or an improvement.

The general consensus is:

Tim Gleason > Mike Komisarek

A 100% Paul Martin > Ryan Whitney

Ryan Whitney > A 75% Paul Martin

Since it's been apparent for awhile that even if Martin did make it back in time and chose to play, he wouldn't have been 100% sans a miracle, this is an overall upgrade.

Losing a healthy Paul Martin is huge though.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Ryan Whitney has played plenty of playoff hockey, he's got great skating ability, hockey skills and size. Although he doesn't use his frame as effectively as he should, he's no push over and can hold his own physically.

I definitely think Tim Gleason is a step up from Mike Komisarek, Gleason has been a lot more consistent this season and often plays against the top lines of opposition teams on the worst team in the league. Gleason has the mobility, hockey IQ and enough skill to fulfill his defensive duties.

To be perfectly honest I am really disappointed that Keith Yandle and Paul Martin won't be wearing US jerseys, both are tailor made for the Olympics, excellent skaters, with good skills and hockey IQ but are also really solid and reliable along the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad