Olympics: UPDATE: USA Hockey D replacements - Whitney and Gleason

HockeyAndTheSox

Let's Go Pens&Yotes!
Sep 19, 2008
AZ & PA
Scuds and Gleason would be my choices

Why Scuds? As much as I like the guy, JJ, Gleason (who is replacing Komi more than likely), Suter, are all defensive dmen... Yandle would be a great choice especially since he is the leading scorer for American defensmen this season, he's tied for 3rd in goals by a dman, and he is top 15 for points by a dman this season on an offensively starved Phoenix team. He deserves it and USA needs an offensive dman anyways.

Going a little off topic but does anyone find it funny that Yandle and Whitney are good friends off the ice and they are both being mentioned as possible USA replacements?

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
He's definitely a worthy candidate but as far as I know he can't be chosen because he wasn't in the drug testing program.

Darren Pang and Bob McKenzie were tweeting (twittering ?) about this. Like Billy the Kid says, Yandle, is not eligible under the WADA rules. What a drag.

Any replacement for Komisarek would be an improvement, but Martin's loss will be significant.

I'm guessing ummmmmm Whitney and Scuderi ??

HockeyAndTheSox

Let's Go Pens&Yotes!
Sep 19, 2008
AZ & PA
Darren Pang and Bob McKenzie were tweeting (twittering ?) about this. Like Billy the Kid says, Yandle, is not eligible under the WADA rules. What a drag.

Any replacement for Komisarek would be an improvement, but Martin's loss will be significant.

I'm guessing ummmmmm Whitney and Scuderi ??

That really sucks if he is not eligible. I keep hearing he isn't but then I keep hearing his name pop up as a candidate to replace someone on the back end. Oh well. I am still rocking my avatar anyways, even if he isnt on the team....

If Whits and Scuds both get named replacements, that would be 3 players that have played together at the same time on the Pens before. Burke might see this as a plus considering the Canadians have the Seabrook-Keith pairing which is good chemistry in Chitown. I think Whitney and Orpik played together for a while last season before the trade and I'm pretty sure they played together the season before as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Whitney and Gleason.

Scuderi is a joke.

Yeah, I mean a guy who was a shutdown defenseman, and took the most number of shifts in the playoffs for a Stanley Cup Champion...what a joke that guy is.

Meanwhile, we're supposed to believe someone on the worst team in the league and has only been to the playoffs one time in high-pressure games is supposed to be any better? Or someone who was traded from said Stanley Cup champion in the middle of the season?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I mean a guy who was a shutdown defenseman, and took the most number of shifts in the playoffs for a Stanley Cup Champion...what a joke that guy is.

Meanwhile, we're supposed to believe someone on the worst team in the league and has only been to the playoffs one time in high-pressure games is supposed to be any better? Or someone who was traded from said Stanley Cup champion in the middle of the season?

FWIW, TSN says Whitney and Gleason are the likely replacements. So yeah...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
FWIW, TSN says Whitney and Gleason are the likely replacements. So yeah...

I'm aware of that, they're good guys, but I was attacking a post with no logic behind with, by putting in some of my own.

A case for/against with a little bit of cognitive thought behind it, as opposed to calling someone fresh off receiving a ring 'a joke.'

AntonFromAppState

Hurricaniac
Jan 18, 2007
North Carolina
My case for Gleason: The man has more heart and soul out of almost and player I had ever seen. He risks his body for meaningless games (stupid maybe but he wants his team to succeed). It has already been said if Staal didn't want to be captain that Gleason would take over the captaincy. People say stats don't mean anything but since he is on one of the worst teams in the NHL I think they hold some weight. As of today he is only a -2 while playing most of his minutes against other teams' top lines. He is a complete shutdown dman yet has 15 points (already has more points than last season). He is the player we put up against Crosby, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Lecavelier, Parise, and the likes. And he gets the job done.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
This may seem way out in left field here but.. what about Tyler Myers.. is he eligible to play for the US or not due to him playing for Canada in the past.

I would imagine they don't want a rookie on team USA but this kid has a ton of potential.. arguably already better than one or two on team USA D.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
This may seem way out in left field here but.. what about Tyler Myers.. is he eligible to play for the US or not due to him playing for Canada in the past.

I would imagine they don't want a rookie on team USA but this kid has a ton of potential.. arguably already better than one or two on team USA D.

Not eligible for play for the US. As an IIHF player, he's Canadian for life.

SouvenirCity

Feb 13, 2008
Astoria, NY
Don't understand Burke's open omission of Bogosian. Would take Bogo over Whitney any day of the week.

edit: Forgot my picks (listed to who i'd pick first)

1. Gleason
2. Bogosian
3. Yandle
4. Whitney
5. Ballard
6. Scuderi

Last edited:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Don't understand Burke's open omission of Bogosian. Would take Bogo over Whitney any day of the week.

edit: Forgot my picks (listed to who i'd pick first)

1. Gleason
2. Bogosian
3. Yandle
4. Whitney
5. Ballard
6. Scuderi

As of right now, Yandle is a clearly superior dman to Bogosian. Not a knock on Bogosian, but Yandle is actually one of the top 4 US dmen in the NHL right now.

Regarding Tyler Myers, I didn't realize that IIHF rule was like an amendment to the Constitution. I wouldn't be surprised it gets changed in the next few years. Why should the IIHF dictate what country a player wants to represent? That should be left solely to the player and government that allows him citizenship. Who the hell makes up assinine rules like this?

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
As of right now, Yandle is a clearly superior dman to Bogosian. Not a knock on Bogosian, but Yandle is actually one of the top 4 US dmen in the NHL right now.

Regarding Tyler Myers, I didn't realize that IIHF rule was like an amendment to the Constitution. I wouldn't be surprised it gets changed in the next few years. Why should the IIHF dictate what country a player wants to represent? That should be left solely to the player and government that allows him citizenship. Who the hell makes up assinine rules like this?

Yeah, who are the IIHF to make rules for tournaments it runs!?! How dare they!

And it's to stop players from continually switching national teams. I think Tyler Myers could have played for the U.S. but he chose to play for the Canadian Juniors.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, who are the IIHF to make rules for tournaments it runs!?! How dare they!

And it's to stop players from continually switching national teams. I think Tyler Myers could have played for the U.S. but he chose to play for the Canadian Juniors.

Oh I see, so the IIHF gets to determine LIFE CHOICES for athletes. Sounds exactly like Cold War Russia & China. Why the hell should the IIHF, you or anyone else tell a person what country they s/b able to play for? Only two entities s/b involved in that decision, the athlete and the country, why is that so hard to grasp? Who gives a rats butt what teams these players decide to play for? It sounds like PAPER SHUFFLERS deciding life choices instead of the person. Yeah what a great mindset that is comrade.

So you are in favor of a body like the IIHF usurping the power of any individual to decide what country they want to be a citizen of and represent? So much for
individual rights.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009

Great logic ever.

:handclap:

Maybe Carolina should trade Pitkanen and Gleason for Lebda and Meech because they plays 25 playoffs game for superior team and has expierence in high-pressure games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad