Olympics: UPDATE: USA Hockey D replacements - Whitney and Gleason

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Because steroid use (for instance) has an effect before the games to build you up, but then doesn't show at the games. That's why all Olympic athletes are required to be tested about 2 months PRIOR to the games.

I know why but seems really stupid how they deal with this issue is all why couldnt Burkie call said player say we have seen some injury issues would you submit to tests so we could have you on a list off call ins , i am not sure testing is completely perfect anyways or that ways to hide things do not exist so its really stupid to me that they cant call a guy if he comes up clean now.
that said i also do think hockey players for the most part are cleaner look at them .

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
If athletes were allowed to freely change the country they want to represent then you'd see a plethora of mercenarys who'll change citizenship for money jsut like in athletics with Kenyan long distance runners suddenly deciding they want to repesent the UAE or Dubai or Yemen. Are you really trying to tell me you want to see e.g. Taylor Hall playing one year for Canada, the next for USA and the next for Russia?[/QUOTE]

On principle, thats not for you, me or a group of "athletic power elites" to decide. That should be up to the athlete and the government granting citizenship.

No, it's up to the person/organization running the tournament to decide.

AK

May 31, 2008
Scuderi would not have been bad pick.

The US will be eaten alive if they try to outgun teams or intimidate them physically. They only have a chance if they can stop them, and Scuderi is as good as any at doing that.

Whitney will provide a nice first pass, but it could get ugly if he's taking ES strengths against Russia or Sweden.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
No, you somehow tried to equate slave owners to regular business owners, or the IIHF.

I did? Really? Always try to put words in other peoples mouths?

Clearly that response went right over your head. It was solely aimed at your assertion that control = legitimacy. So, I guess I need to write you a letter.
Is that better than a PM?:laugh:

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I did? Really? Always try to put words in other peoples mouths?

Clearly that response went right over your head. It was solely aimed at your assertion that control = legitimacy. So, I guess I need to write you a letter.
Is that better than a PM?:laugh:

This will be my last reply to you.

The IIHF runs tournaments. It does not force any player to play in those tournaments, does not force any country to participate in those tournaments. It has every right to regulate those tournaments, the same way FIFA regulates the FIFA World Cup, FIFA European Championship, and the Olympic Soccer Tournament. Same way the FIBA regulates International Basketball Tournaments. And like all those federations, the IIHF has the right to regulate eligibility for it's tournaments. If you have this big of a problem with federations not allowing players to switch nationalities for sports at a whim, I suggest you stay away from International sports and tournaments. Make a stand on your principles of individual choice....

And the fact of the matter is, many people have provided you with numerous reasons, and good ones at that why these federations make the eligibility rules they did. Tyler Myers wasn't forced to do anything. He wasn't forced to play for Canada. He wasn't forced to play in the IIHF Under 20 tournament. He made his choice, and now he has to live with that choice. In the eyes of the IIHF, He's Canadian. He can consider himself American all he wants, and so be it, that's his "individual choice". But he doesn't have some God Given right to play in IIHF's tournaments for USA.

Now, you can keep trying to confuse this argument by making some riduclous analogies, or trying to use irrelevant examples to play on people's emotions and yell "invidividual choice" while ignoring that Myers made an "individual choice" all you want (or maybe you think people should be able to make all the individual choices they want, just not have to live with any negative consequences of those individual choices....", but this is my last reply to you in this thread, and yes, don't PM me.

Espen

Nov 16, 2008
Bad choices. I would pick Yandle and Scuderi.

Ryan Whitney is one of the softest blue liners I've ever seen considering his size.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My case for Gleason: The man has more heart and soul out of almost and player I had ever seen. He risks his body for meaningless games (stupid maybe but he wants his team to succeed). It has already been said if Staal didn't want to be captain that Gleason would take over the captaincy. People say stats don't mean anything but since he is on one of the worst teams in the NHL I think they hold some weight. As of today he is only a -2 while playing most of his minutes against other teams' top lines. He is a complete shutdown dman yet has 15 points (already has more points than last season). He is the player we put up against Crosby, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Lecavelier, Parise, and the likes. And he gets the job done.

It is great choice, one that should have been made a month ago.

Aside from what you posted he's also tough and sticks up for teammates.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
This will be my last reply to you.

The IIHF runs tournaments. It does not force any player to play in those tournaments, does not force any country to participate in those tournaments. It has every right to regulate those tournaments, the same way FIFA regulates the FIFA World Cup, FIFA European Championship, and the Olympic Soccer Tournament. Same way the FIBA regulates International Basketball Tournaments. And like all those federations, the IIHF has the right to regulate eligibility for it's tournaments. If you have this big of a problem with federations not allowing players to switch nationalities for sports at a whim, I suggest you stay away from International sports and tournaments. Make a stand on your principles of individual choice....

And the fact of the matter is, many people have provided you with numerous reasons, and good ones at that why these federations make the eligibility rules they did. Tyler Myers wasn't forced to do anything. He wasn't forced to play for Canada. He wasn't forced to play in the IIHF Under 20 tournament. He made his choice, and now he has to live with that choice. In the eyes of the IIHF, He's Canadian. He can consider himself American all he wants, and so be it, that's his "individual choice". But he doesn't have some God Given right to play in IIHF's tournaments for USA.

Now, you can keep trying to confuse this argument by making some riduclous analogies, or trying to use irrelevant examples to play on people's emotions and yell "invidividual choice" while ignoring that Myers made an "individual choice" all you want (or maybe you think people should be able to make all the individual choices they want, just not have to live with any negative consequences of those individual choices....", but this is my last reply to you in this thread, and yes, don't PM me.

What pure unadulterated garbage this is. In order to participate, he was forced to make a choice that no sports authority should have the ethical right or responsibility to demand, especially someone 18 years of age in his specific circumstances.

Clearly, you ignore the fact that in the final analysis the IIHF does in fact eliminate "individual choice" in regards to this issue. I gave specific examples of how this rule could have played out from 1960-1984, or in relation to Cuban defectors. Those aren't made up examples, they are factual instances that illustrate just one of the fatal flaws of the rule.

Hey, just keep shilling for the IIHF if it makes you sleep better at night.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Congrats to both Tim Gleason and Ryan Whitney!!! I am sure they will do their best to represent our country with 110% class and effort!

In a perfect world, Yandle would be the guy that I would have wanted, but I can easily live with this. Infact I almost look at is as an upgrade of sorts from Komisarek and Martin. Not that Martin is bad, but the Martin that we "might" have gotten could have been an 85% version of himself. I would much rather have Whitney and Gleason at 100% imo.

This adds some more size to the blueline. Gleason is a rock, and Whitney who we know isn't going to crush anyone, but he won't get pushed around either.

I am excited about this selection and what the blueline will look like. This will be a pretty imposing group to play against, tons of size and physicality here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
last night it looked like Whitney had something to prove to the US brass in Anaheim's game...I tried to keep an eye on him the entire time, and I must say, if he plays like that, then the US will have a nice addition on their hands. Here is to hoping that this selction is a "waking" of sorts and the Olympic fire has now been lit under his butt.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Are people daft or what? The likes of Yandle COULD NOT BE NAMED TO THE TEAM! How many times does that need to said?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Hey Sarge, B's fans are satisifed. Gleason certainly earned this.

Not to beat a dead horse (or one with a bum shoulder) but Gleason impresses me every time I see him play.

It isn't always points, sometimes it's a blocked shot, a body check, a pass or sticking up for a teammate.

I can't imagine a coach wanting anything more in a player.

Is he a Norris candidate? No, but you can do a lot worse in your #5 or 6 guy on an Olympic team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bad choices. I would pick Yandle and Scuderi.

Ryan Whitney is one of the softest blue liners I've ever seen considering his size.

Well, you would know with one of the softest players in NHL history as your avatar. Whitney's getting a bad shake here. He's no banger, but he's not a wallflower either-he gets involved. He's got good size, can play a ton of minutes, is a good skater, and can make a great good pass. He'll be fine.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
last night it looked like Whitney had something to prove to the US brass in Anaheim's game...I tried to keep an eye on him the entire time, and I must say, if he plays like that, then the US will have a nice addition on their hands. Here is to hoping that this selction is a "waking" of sorts and the Olympic fire has now been lit under his butt.

Whitney has a lot of skill and has good size to boot, unfortunately he hasn't used that size/skill to his advantage while he has been in the NHL. Since I from Boston, I've seen him play since he was about 16 years old and he has always played a strictly finesse game. Hopefully in Vancouver he is on top of his skill game.

hockeycrew22

Dec 9, 2009
As a Ducks fan, I'm hoping this is a catalyst for Whitney. He played well up until the selections, for the most part, then tanked after. Now that he's on the team, hopefully he can continue his play like he did last night.

Also does this set a record for most Ryans on one team??? :laugh:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Well, you would know with one of the softest players in NHL history as your avatar. Whitney's getting a bad shake here. He's no banger, but he's not a wallflower either-he gets involved. He's got good size, can play a ton of minutes, is a good skater, and can make a great good pass. He'll be fine.

Like recent quality Boston area dmen he is a lot more about skill than grit. I'm from Boston and have seen Yandle, Whitney, Mara, Gill play when they were in youth/HS/College. In fact my son played against Yandle in youth/HS. Outside of Gill's lower offensive skill set they are cut from the same mold.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Playing make-believe with "what if X had been on the list" or "what if Y could play for the US" is silly... these are the two best choices given what we had available.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I agree with you. I think the major problem with Whitney is that people see his size and automatically assume that he should be like a Chris Pronger or Dion Phaneuf or insert name here. It just isn't his game, nor has it really ever been.

Look at the reports when he was drafted, everyone always said if this guy could use his size a little more, he would be completely dominate. and to that regard I do agree, he is blessed with size that 90% of the league would love to have, but he plays and values himself as an offensive defensemen not a shutdown imposing defensemen.

But I will say this, he is NO pushover, and anyone that says otherwise is clueless. I too have watched him play for the past 10 years, and this guy does not get pushed around; and that is what many of you guys are getting wrong. He may not throw a dozen hits in a game, but he does hit and uses his body effectively on the ice. He has 60 hits this season so he isn't that timid with hitting, but ofcourse everyone expects more with his size.

I can't wait for this guy to go out there and shine in Vancouver, score a couple big power play goals and use his body effective enough to slow down the opposing forwards, that will be his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad